PDA

View Full Version : Free moose quarter...region 8-5 moose experts speak up!

Andrewh
11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Well after a rather great year with deer and by group of friends, it was time to focus our energy to finding the bull (or two) that we drew as a shared hunt in region 8-5. I was out basically every weekend to a secret spot and saw the same big old 9x9 just about every weekend. I even found a nice immy in Oct but passed on him to save my tag for the big guy. I thought, as well as my buddies, that the tag would be easy to fill and the big guy was as good as ours.

Now for the curve-ball, we harvested three bucks out of the area in the last month. When I went up there this past weekend when the viz was great I thought one of us were going to be pulling the trigger on the big guy. It turns out that all the deer and moose have moved out of the area. We usually see loads and loads of deer and moose track but this time was different. Even with a fresh few inches of snow, all we saw were wolf tracks trampling around the ENTIRE area (we usually only saw the occasional wolf track but now they are everywhere). Could the moose/deer have been pushed out by the wolves?

My question for the moose guys, what temp/snow conditions do they start moving down?

Now for the free moose quarter, if anyone can help me connect on a bull during the last week of NOV then I will gladly hand you a quarter of my fresh moose. You must be able to supply great info to me!!!

We have one weekend left (tied up this weekend) and really want to fill at least one of the LEH tags.

thanks guys,
Andrew (and a few others on this HBC).

f350ps
11-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Was it snowing heavily when you were in there last time? K

swampdonkey
11-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Where have you been hunting in 8-5

Andrewh
11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
It wasn't snowing too bad, about 6" on the ground but lots and lots of food still available for them.

fearnodeer
11-15-2012, 08:55 PM
You really need to tell were your secret spot is for people to tell you were to try, can't help but got two bulls out of 5-4 this year hope you guys get yours.

dutchie
11-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Talk to matt... I told him a spot but he will tell you that it is not in 8-5... the access is not in 8-5 but the range that you will be hunting is.

Saw bulls up HIGH in the area there for the same November LEH.

Good luck

Dutchie

BCLongshot
11-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Weird

Was up there today just got back.

That bull is there and he is bloody huge !

Darksith
11-17-2012, 06:01 PM
the lesson here...take it when you can, especially if you have 2 draws. I woulda dropped that immy and had a beauty steak moose and then spent the 2nd tag on the big boy.
The wolves won't usually push the moose out, but rather keep them in the thick I have noticed. This year I saw a ton of moose and a ton of wolf track daily.

Ubertuber
11-18-2012, 10:03 AM
I even found a nice immy in Oct but passed on him to save my tag for the big guy. .
I would have taken the immy too. Better a moose in the freezer than no moose at all.
Look in the deep dark thick stuff well off the road. I don't think they would be too far from where you saw them before.
Good luck.