PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 & my first time hunting - advice?

cmidd
11-14-2012, 06:24 PM
So after daydreaming about this trip for many months, it's finally come together for my buddy and I.... and I'm super excited! Neither of us have hunted before and don't really have anyone to show us the ropes, but we've practiced shooting lots, and studied and scoured through these forums for any and all advice/wisdom from those more experienced. Needless to say it should be a learning experience.

The plan is to hunt in Region 3 for mulies or whitetail. I'm not sure where we should go to maximize our chances as we've only got 3 days, but we're willing to travel to any of the sub-units. From looking at maps and reading these forums, it sounds like areas around Barriere and south of Kamloops would be a good choice.... But I still really have no idea. I'm not asking for anyone's honey holes, just a little bit of advice to help steer this first time hunter in the right direction - hopefully make it out with something to put in the freezer. Many thanks!!:)

cameron0518
11-14-2012, 06:32 PM
best advice, get out of region 3, find somewhere that hasn't been hammered to death.

Grousedaddy
11-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Ya region 3 has been very busy close to kamloops this year, if you do plan on hunting around kamloops be ready to get out and hike and theres a good amount of snow in the hills so dress very warm. Try clearwater you may have some luck up there

beejee
11-14-2012, 07:53 PM
A friend of mine just got back from kamloops hunted 4 days sceen lots of deer but non big enough to shoot mostly does and young bucks

brig
11-14-2012, 07:54 PM
I was in your shoes a few years ago as well. We made a remembrance weekend trip up to Tunkwa lake and got our first deer on our second day of hunting. A nice 4-point. Just get out there and pound some bush. I would also not get to discouraged if you strike out, it took us 3 years of hunting to get our first deer and now we get one every year.

BigfishCanada
11-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Deer around my places are spooked, way to many road hunters, kinda like a mofia hit, truck drives around the corner and 4 doors open with 4 cammed out red necks shooting away. Deer see a truck now, they run!!

Jelvis
11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
If I were you new excited hunters living in Vancouver and wanting so bad to see some deer and get a shot off at a legal buck or doe and had a valid tag, I wood be so excited about region 3 opportunity for you and others as well.
Region 3 is a great area for deer hunters to hunt for deer and moose.
Now it's mule deer til Dec 10. Around Kamloops, which MU I would pick?
Do you have an leh or you going four point only?
Jelscun Grilled Paninis

Jelvis
11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Think about how far and how long you want to drive on a highway, either the Goq 5 or Hwy 1.
Hwy 1 up from Hope on the Canyon number one to Cache Creek area north a bit to Scottie Creek or up the Coq 5 to Helmer Lake area for a four point buck or a little farther to Logan Lake/Greenstone Exit 336.
Jelscun Grilled Ditch Chwickin Panini

cmidd
11-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the quick responses, keep em' coming! Sounds like things have been hunted hard lately, guess I'm a little behind in my timing. Still, determined to get out there and put some time in... I should have clarified. I won't be doing much road hunting, my vehicle is tough but not gnarly enough to get into some of those hard to reach places. We'll be out there hiking around, putting the miles in and camping out. This could be a very good or bad thing in terms of access. Thoughts?

BCrams
11-14-2012, 11:21 PM
the Barrier burn is a great place to start if you wish to hike. Have a look in the regs to show you where the vehicle closure`s are and plan to to hike into those areas. Be prepared to quarter and pack out an animal. Be a great place to start and you will likely at least enjoy the country and see some deer and perhaps take one or two! Mule deer will be your target species.

Jelvis
11-14-2012, 11:31 PM
If your into hiking for hunting that is real good, you don't need to drive miles back into wild country on narrow ruff roads to get a shot at a four point. That's why hunters like Region 3, roads of all surfaces to get into a nice location, then camp and make some walks into a forest ridge, with your hunting buddy. That's what hunting here in 3 is all bout.
The spot that I would recommend is on the Yellowhead hwy as you can see on a map runs north of Kamloops. You can run up Westside road out of North Kamloops too, a great spot for mule deer comes out just north of Barrierre onto the Yellowhead. Either way, maybe up Orchard lake road on the Yellowhead just north of Kamloops just past Vinsula turn right up Orchard Lake road, good looking spot for you to see and learn the area while hunting there.
Look at your BC Backroad Map Book at these spots mentioned.
Jel .. North Thompson valley is up there for hunting success for healthy mule deer -- I Garrrrr N Tea It!

cmidd
11-16-2012, 07:14 AM
This is all great advice, thanks everyone very much! I think we're still debating as to where to go but right now it's looking like near the Barriere burn or just to the north in the bush outside Kamloops. Can't wait to get out there to enjoy some country and see some animals. I'll do my best to post a good account of our adventures when we get back. Fingers crossed.

Jelvis
11-16-2012, 11:27 AM
We all got our fingers crossed for you hunter cmidd, don't be timid. Get out thar with your buddy and see the out doors the way we can here in B.C.
Jel -- All the best for your hunt -- let us know how it turns out as soon as you can partner.

4 point
11-16-2012, 11:32 AM
They are where they are. Get off the roads and walk the timber around cutblocks. Many a nice 4 pt taken when walking very slowly and looking a lot. This time of year find does and you'll find bucks. All basic stuff here. Good luck to you and let us know how you made out.

sdurango41
11-16-2012, 01:50 PM
I think the barriere area would be good to hunt as well.Ensure that you let someone know where you are going as there is a good chance of snow in the next week or so. Do you have some chains for your truck? As everyone has said- get out and hike and glass and if you see some does then watch them for a while as the rut is just coming on!!

Rodd
11-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Good luck guys... Good to see the motivation in new hunters! Get out sneak around, do some detective work searching for sign, and concentrate on those areas with your still hunting prowness... A little advice.. when still hunting, go about 10 times slower than you think you should. It not about how much terrain you cover, but more about how well you cover the terrain... Way rather only go 500m and see whats there than go 3km and spook the shit outta everything... Use your optics in the timber too, even tho close range, it may help you spot and id hair, or body parts... SLOW Hope you get a whopper! Cheers!

HIGHRPM
11-16-2012, 02:32 PM
I totally agree with going dead slow. I learnt the hard way, after I pushed bush to quickly and then heard a buck break for safety. I walked within 10 feet of the bugger and he watched me go by,lol. Yes, so go slow, look carefully, for an ear twitch, a tail flip ,any thing that is not normal with the surrounding area.