PDA

View Full Version : how much is too much for decoys in the field?

pnbrock
11-13-2012, 10:30 PM
hunted a field with a friend and he said i take too much to the field.2 robo ducks ,1 dozen full body ghg duck ,1 dozen full body geese .aswell as my layout blind ,is this too much?what do you water fowlers take to field?

lorneparker1
11-13-2012, 10:39 PM
We are taking 8 dozen full body honkers, 2 dozen shells, 2 dozen silo's and who knows how many robos as between us we have over 10, and at least 4 layouts on Sunday if everything is aligned..,...

So the short answer is it depends..... But what you take is pretty damn close to what we take usually.

If i am just hunting ducks on the x, we take enough layouts for as many people are hunting, and usually run 3 robos, and a dozen or so full body mallards.

If we are hunting ducks on a traffic field. we will usually run a few dozen ducks and the layouts and the robos with some geese for visability

IF we are hunting ducks and geese on the x. usually 3 dozen honkers, and the robos, and a just a few ducks as the ducks will usually come into the geese dekes with robos no problem.

If traffic hunting both ducks and geese we will run 4 dozen honkers around hte blinds, and a few dozen ducks up wind with 3 robos.

It also matters if we can drive into the field, or how far we have to walk.

Back east when hunting geese we would rarely have less then 10 dozen dekes in the field,

Lorne

Crazy_Farmer
11-14-2012, 07:22 AM
It's only ever too much when you get skunked. Makes for a slowwwwww packup haha

digger dogger
11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
We are taking 8 dozen full body honkers, 2 dozen shells, 2 dozen silo's and who knows how many robos as between us we have over 10, and at least 4 layouts on Sunday if everything is aligned..,...

So the short answer is it depends..... But what you take is pretty damn close to what we take usually.

If i am just hunting ducks on the x, we take enough layouts for as many people are hunting, and usually run 3 robos, and a dozen or so full body mallards.

If we are hunting ducks on a traffic field. we will usually run a few dozen ducks and the layouts and the robos with some geese for visability

IF we are hunting ducks and geese on the x. usually 3 dozen honkers, and the robos, and a just a few ducks as the ducks will usually come into the geese dekes with robos no problem.

If traffic hunting both ducks and geese we will run 4 dozen honkers around hte blinds, and a few dozen ducks up wind with 3 robos.

It also matters if we can drive into the field, or how far we have to walk.

Back east when hunting geese we would rarely have less then 10 dozen dekes in the field,

Lorne

Sounds like a BLAST!!!! Literally:-)

We found out where the 1000's of geese are landing, I'll keep my eye on them till Sunday.
I guess we should get there early to set up, a couple hundred deeks :-o

The geese flocks were coming down in spirals yesterday. (I've never seen anything like it)

yamadirt 426
11-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Im mostly putting out 1 robo and 6 duck shells where i hunt lol. But i do own 6 styrofoam duck shells, 24 hard shell/floater ducks and 23 goose shells. I think ive put the geese out once this yr. I like a quick set up and pack up. Sometimes its just the one robo if im ultra lazy

nano
11-16-2012, 05:04 PM
4 mallards In a little pond has been working for me.