PDA

View Full Version : DAY HUNT 2-8 Sylvester (Lost Creek FSR)?

centrefire
11-13-2012, 11:04 AM
This is my first post, but have been checking out the site of a while now... thanks for all the info.

I live in the Fraser Valley and am new to hunting. I realize that hunting spots are well guarded secrets, but without giving away too much info was hoping that you guys could answer general questions about Lost Creek FSR/ Sylvester area...

I've taken a few drives up (Salsbury Lake area), but no matter where I go it sounds like an active war zone and there is garbage (wads, casings etc) everywhere... I'm just looking to get a successful day (mule) hunt under my belt. Should I be looking elsewhere (like Chilliwack/ Harrison) or can I still hike to a place that would give some hope of success in the Lost Creek area???

mikeboehm
11-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Sylvester road is the worst for traffic

Wild one
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Region 2 can be very tough. The best spots I have found are either long hikes, boat access, or stupid spots other over look. I find if you are hunting FSR in region 2 you will see little to no deer. For the most part I would rather hunt a different region

If you want to hunt region 2 look for areas that see little to no traffic. The deer are out there even where you have been hunting.

Steeleco
11-13-2012, 02:50 PM
With in 1/2 KM from the end of the pavement on Sylvester road turn right. You'll need a good 4x4 or good boots and lungs. Drive as far as you can then walk the rest. The yahoos don't seen to go up there and if you can go on a week day all the better. They're in there, but Blacktails aren't easy to find like mulies. The worse the weather the better your chances.

Big Lew
11-13-2012, 03:32 PM
With in 1/2 KM from the end of the pavement on Sylvester road turn right. You'll need a good 4x4 or good boots and lungs. Drive as far as you can then walk the rest. The yahoos don't seen to go up there and if you can go on a week day all the better. They're in there, but Blacktails aren't easy to find like mulies. The worse the weather the better your chances.

x2! I can attest to that....the last 2 BT bucks I got in the lower mainland were in that general area, but as "Steeleco" said, you need good boots, lungs, and a pack board.

centrefire
11-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm all about the adventure and the challenge. My back and lungs are good. I don't want to give up hunting so close to my house, yet. I'll give your area a try on my next outing, Steeleco. Thanks again.

(I may change my mind after I've carried my mulie on foot a long distance to my truck. Lol)

takla1
11-13-2012, 04:50 PM
the bucks in that area are still up over 500-600 ft elevation,thats where i shot mine two days ago.they are ruting.look for a scrap line and be on it early,usually you will have to hike in the dark ,be quiet,wind in your face,and if the planets all aline for you you may havest a blacktail,just remember to be ready for a long drag out,good luck

Pyro
11-13-2012, 05:10 PM

How far up can you go with a good ATV?

ruger#1
11-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Why not go up Dewdney mountain. There are lots of clear cuts and last year there was lots of deer sign. You can get up there with an atv or four wheel drive. Better then Sylvester and no traffic.

Brew
11-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Your getting some good info centerfire. I have hunted all of the said spots and they all hold deer. dewdney mountain would be my first bet. theres always tons of sign up there. the bucks have have been pretty dumb the last few days. Shot a bruiser on friday and saw another good three point today right on the road. first deer was 230 pm and today was 1230. Goodluck.

centrefire
11-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Great info. Thank you to everyone. I really appreciate all of it.

IHUNTBC
11-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Watch Sylvester to thr right , it switches back and forth and slowly climbs the side ridges. Seen many deer in that area, help an old guy pull one out a few years back......many bear earlier in the season too

Steeleco
11-14-2012, 01:43 AM
How far up can you go with a good ATV?

Its been a few years since I was up there, but you can get a long way back if you've got he right gear. My F150 isn't the right gear LOL

Steeleco
11-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Why not go up Dewdney mountain. There are lots of clear cuts and last year there was lots of deer sign. You can get up there with an atv or four wheel drive. Better then Sylvester and no traffic.

Did they pull the gates Mark? It's been a while since I could get in there too. Still like your little spot the best !!

itsy bitsy xj
11-14-2012, 02:21 AM
Hey guys where is Dewdney mountain? I done alot of 4wd up Sylvester and west Harrison Lake. I may of been to Dewdney and known it by another name

moosezilla
11-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Hey guys where is Dewdney mountain? I done alot of 4wd up Sylvester and west Harrison Lake. I may of been to Dewdney and known it by another name

google earth it and it will pop up

Steeleco
11-14-2012, 11:13 AM
When your heading east on the Lougheed hwy, just before you turn right over the tracks in Dewdney you go straight. The road begins right near the Inch Creek fish hatchery. Last I tried to get in there, it was gated just past the mine, not sure if it still is?

ruger#1
11-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Did they pull the gates Mark? It's been a while since I could get in there too. Still like your little spot the best !! Not sure the gates you are talking about David. Takla and I were up there in september and didn't see any gates on the main road or the road up to Dewdney mountain. Dewdney mountain is to the west and Nicomen is to the east.

TESKELLY
11-14-2012, 06:37 PM
AKA Norrish Creek FSR

darrin6109
11-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhh all of you!

Pyro
11-15-2012, 12:11 AM

google earth it and it will pop up

When your heading east on the Lougheed hwy, just before you turn right over the tracks in Dewdney you go straight. The road begins right near the Inch Creek fish hatchery. Last I tried to get in there, it was gated just past the mine, not sure if it still is?

Hawkins-Pickle road? It used to go over the height of land and down into Chehalis area. Now gated to protect the local watershed.

takla1
11-15-2012, 06:26 AM
So park at the gate and dig out the hikeing boots!!

Kawasakizrx1200
11-15-2012, 06:34 AM
Have you seen any sign of deer there . If so get in to a spot and try your luck . Chilliwack area is good choice to

ernieR1
11-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Approximately which area was that in? Latitude/longitude if possible? I have travelled far afield with no success this season and if it's possible to succeed in the local area that would be terrific to finish off this season. Thanks in advance if you can give some guidance.

quaint bucket
11-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Sounds interesting. I was going to go to 2-18 but then I got invited to a birthday party this Saturday so I'm looking for something close to home.

was worried there was nothing worth looking in Sylvester rd due to all the yahoos shooting up the hills. How do the BT taste in that area anyway?

Wile E
11-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Hey now, I'm one of them yahoos ;). I shoot long distance up the top of the mountain, but I know what you mean. I've also got some gongs set up closer to the bottom, where I've only seen 2 other people in the last 3 years.

My hidden in plain sight spot at the bottom was full of deer 2 months and I'm still seeing fresh tracks but haven't found my deer. My deer sightings have recently been replaced with cougar sightings though. Very up close and personal too. Let's just call it an accident and say I was justified in shitting myself. It's ok, cause she did too.

I've seen 3 deer taken in the last 3 weeks, all in close proximity to the main road. I was eating one of them last night, and it was good. My buddy shot a little spike 100 feet from where my truck was parked. He was about to hike in to my spot, the sob :).

quaint bucket
11-22-2013, 08:57 AM
You're more the exception than the rule, though. I just have a really bad taste in my mouth because of the bad apples that ruin it for everyone by leaving garbage behind and not cleaning up themselves. I haven't been up to Sylvester road for a while but have seen what happened to the other places like Mount Cheam and Harrison.

davet
11-22-2013, 09:29 AM
i was up that way last week for the first time and I could not believe the amount of garbage everywhere. I did not know it was missions dump site. You dont even have to pay to dump your trash.

sad so see people treating nature that way.

nature girl
11-22-2013, 07:13 PM
I was up there about 3 weeks ago and all the garbage. It was so bad. My boyfriend said do you want to go up the road farther. No, I said. So, we turned around. I sure would not want to go on the weekend it would be a zoo. Maybe not so bad this time of year. And then you have to make sure your not in the line of gun fire from some people target practicing. It does look like great blacktail country though.