PDA

View Full Version : advice

Beard
11-13-2012, 12:45 AM
So as ive read on the forums here if you want to target geese its best to be in a spot where they like to land. My question is when duck hunting at boundary bay Ive seen some canadian geese flying high above. Is there any chance calling them in/ getting some floaters sitting outside my duck spread? I just wonder if its worth my time? I don't see them a whole ton but just thought id ask if anybody has had success doing that?

Sofa King
11-13-2012, 01:11 AM
why not just try?
what's the worst that can happen? they don't respond.
you won't know if you don't try.
don't just take someone's advice.

Ian F.
11-13-2012, 07:11 AM
to keep it VERY simple, break birds into 2 groups, decoyable, and non-decoyable. Learning the difference takes some time but basically, high flying with purpose usually won't even give you a look. Lower birds, flocks that they keep changing position, ones that look like they want to put down are. I usually put a goose or 3 (I'm an odd numbers guy) at the edge of the spread for that off chance. I shoot 1 or 2 a season that are pure "bonus birds", most though to be honest are pass shot over my spread.

pnbrock
11-13-2012, 07:15 AM
good luck with the birds in the bay they have a destination.ofcourse there destination is usually a no hunting field.

pnbrock
11-13-2012, 07:17 AM
not to mention cacklers are a tough bird to decoy anyways.

lorneparker1
11-13-2012, 10:21 AM
to keep it VERY simple, break birds into 2 groups, decoyable, and non-decoyable. Learning the difference takes some time but basically, high flying with purpose usually won't even give you a look. Lower birds, flocks that they keep changing position, ones that look like they want to put down are. I usually put a goose or 3 (I'm an odd numbers guy) at the edge of the spread for that off chance. I shoot 1 or 2 a season that are pure "bonus birds", most though to be honest are pass shot over my spread.

Good advice.

My question is how do you know the Geese are Canadian?

Lorne

longshot
11-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Good advice.

Lorne

When geese are decoying in.... and right before we blow their faces off, they make those short clucks saying 'eh, eh, eh'... then BOOM!

Sofa King
11-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Good advice.

Lorne

they politely apologize for no apparent reason and thank you for kindly shooting them.

Freshtracks
11-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Over 30 years hunting the Bay ... decoying geese? ... other than brant ... nope. But you could give it a try.

Beard
11-14-2012, 12:02 AM
i figured it would probably not be really possible but hell I'll toss a few geese out there see what happens. Thanks for the responses.