PDA

View Full Version : crampons

Koot
11-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Well this season isn't even over yet and I'm starting to plan my next years Moose/Sheep hunts.
I am looking to gain a little knowledge on Crampons. They will need to be the type that will fit on a Kenetrex Boot.
What do you all suggest?
Thanks

Gilmore
11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I used these for the first time this past weekend.

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/crampons/6-point-steel.asp

I've had them for 2 years but just never bothered, I don't know why I waited. I watched my buddy climb up the same frozen snowy alpine bowl I did slipping, sliding and swearing while I sauntered up as if I was walking down the sidewalk. I thought once we hit the ridge top I would just take them off but they were pretty comfortable so I never bothered. Coming down was even better!

They stayed on my boots (Lowa Hunter Extreme's) very well and didn't bother my feet like I thought they might. You need to be careful on the rocks as they are pretty aggressive and will find every crack and could trip you up. I did put a 2" gash in one of my gaiters so I needed to be a little more aware of where I put my feet but I will never leave home without them again.

madrona sh
11-13-2012, 01:08 PM
The Camp 6 points will work just fine. Any mountaineering not climbing crampon will do the trick.
Remember if you are going were you need crampons you better have an ice axe and learn how to self arrest.
Oh and don't buy the instep crampons as they are crap IMHO.

RiverOtter
11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Hey Gilmore, do you not find you could benefit from some heal traction on the downhill stretches?

I've been thinking more and more lately about scoring a pair for high country stuff, or just low snow winter pursuits.

ElectricDyck
11-13-2012, 07:26 PM
I used these for the first time this past weekend.

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/crampons/6-point-steel.asp

I've had them for 2 years but just never bothered, I don't know why I waited. I watched my buddy climb up the same frozen snowy alpine bowl I did slipping, sliding and swearing while I sauntered up as if I was walking down the sidewalk. I thought once we hit the ridge top I would just take them off but they were pretty comfortable so I never bothered. Coming down was even better!

They stayed on my boots (Lowa Hunter Extreme's) very well and didn't bother my feet like I thought they might. You need to be careful on the rocks as they are pretty aggressive and will find every crack and could trip you up. I did put a 2" gash in one of my gaiters so I needed to be a little more aware of where I put my feet but I will never leave home without them again.

Good to hear they worked well, I purchased the same ones for a late season goat hunt only to get there and find no snow.

Gilmore
11-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey Gilmore, do you not find you could benefit from some heal traction on the downhill stretches?

The 2 points on the back (near the heal strap) are on the heal of my boot and provided great downhill traction. The picture is a little deceiving, they are worn about mid-foot back towards your heal.

RiverOtter
11-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense....

Koot
11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Definitely will be using an ice axe as well. Its been about 20 years since I have used crampons and ice axe so I am looking to hear what you all use and like.

300rum700
11-13-2012, 08:25 PM
I borrowed a set of Black Diamond Contact Crampons on a recent goat hunt and just ordered the same set for myself. I liked them because they were a 10 point design that will fit any boot and not come off. Makes me wonder how I ever got around without them. P.S. don't wear your favourite pants or gaiters the first time out with them!!