PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa Lake whitetail help!

JIL_24/7
11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm staying at a cabin here at Tunkwa Lake. This will be my last opportunity to hunt this year. I have hunted hard this year, but to this point I have no meat in the freezer. I could really use some help putting some there to feed my three kids. Can anyone point me in the right direction to take a whitetail? I am not a trophy hunter. I just really need to find some meat. Please feel free to send me a pm. Thanks in advance for your help.

guywitha270
11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
I was up there today. They're everywhere!! The only problem is, they're nocturnal right now so good luck finding one. The rut won't be on for a week or 2 yet so you're actually not there at a great time. If you really want to, find a good spot on the pipe line and walk into the trees. Find a lot of tracks and follow them. If you drive around the back side of Tunkwa on the 4100 Rd. you'll have a better chance as well.

But hey, you still have 3 days for a spike-fork!! I'd be looking for them right now. Drive down the Ware Creek and Ware Lake roads (just south of the resort) and you may even see a whitie in there. Good luck!!

lovemywinchester
11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
^^^What he said. Go slow hiking and be ready, you can bounce them from their bed at any second. Walk the edges of bush and gas and power lines. Remember they are like women and they can smell desperation. It repels them.

howa1500
11-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Hike 50 yards in either side of the power or gas line... Put some mileage on the boots and you'll have success!

Firstblood
11-17-2012, 06:04 PM
how high elevation wise are you guys hunting for whitetails? my brother and I both tagged mulie bucks last weekend and were hoping to add a whitetail or two tot he freezer as well. we weren't too far from tunkwa lake but i haven't see a whitetail all season.

Bushy
11-17-2012, 06:19 PM
A nice 4 x 4 wt flopped after a short p.m. hunt this evening @ 4000ft.

grouse please
11-18-2012, 09:10 PM
When I was up there the resort told me to hunt in the meadow on the back side of the lake. They said to park at the day area and walk in apparently thats where the whitetails are we never went in there though, but did see some around the 41-27. Hope that helps.