PDA

View Full Version : Questions on reg 8 WT rut

lovemywinchester
11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey all. I was hoping to get some ideas on what happens with the WT rut. I hope to get to Kelowna in the next week or two to try for a nice WT to end the season. I may have an opportunity to spend a few nights in Lumby/Cherryville hunting some private land as well. Do the whities generally rut at the same time (now) as the mulies or is it earlier? I would love to be able to try some rattling to see if we can call one in. What's the experience of you WT guys in 8? Do the deer dissappear soon after mating to recover or is the rut just getting started? After hunting the busy, hunter clogged areas of reg. 3 I am looking forward to the wide open spaces and quiet roads of reg 8! :roll: Thanks!

Bc Deer Hunter
11-12-2012, 05:54 PM
a small buck was chasing the doe i shot yesterday.. they are just starting to rut now and it will go in to early december.

dragonslayer
11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
There are no quiet roads in region 8 also, zooland, whitetails rut after mulies, whitetails start rutting about 20 Nov on depending on which part of region 8 your hunting.

604redneck
11-12-2012, 06:12 PM
If u want quiet roads region 8 is not the place for u especially near kelowna

GoatGuy
11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Usually best hitting it before the peak while there aren't too many hot does around and the bucks are putting on the miles.

boxhitch
11-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Not according to a article in the last Outdoor Edge , '6 Phases of Deer Season'.

to para phrase -
".....throughout western Canada this peak whitetail estrus typically occurs between Nov 11 and 16. As for mule deer this peak estrus typically occurs between Nov 25 and Dec 1. "

They let anybody write articles these days

GoatGuy
11-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Not according to a article in the last Outdoor Edge , '6 Phases of Deer Season'.

to para phrase -
".....throughout western Canada this peak whitetail estrus typically occurs between Nov 11 and 16. As for mule deer this peak estrus typically occurs between Nov 25 and Dec 1. "

Interesting, doesn't really seem to line-up with the research in Alberta and BC (particularly with wt's), but hey whatever floats yer boat.

Sofa King
11-13-2012, 01:59 AM

to para phrase -

believe what you see, not what you read.

boxhitch
11-13-2012, 07:53 AM
hey whatever floats yer boat. not my boat
My point was how anything can appear in print these days.

hunter1947
11-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Region 4 in the EK the WT bucks are not into the rut so far..

phoenix
11-13-2012, 08:03 AM
The 4x4 whitey I shot last week was not rutting at all. No sign of a swollen neck and he didn't stink. Plus there was 5 does about 200 yds away and he was paying them no attention whatsoever.
Kim

Gunner
11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
I had a 4 point whitie in the yard Saturday afternoon,checking out the girls at the feeder.They weren't interested,and he wasn't serious.It'll be a while yet. Gunner

604redneck
11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I grunted last night and had a Buck trash the trees then leave I think my grunt just pissed him off and I watched a half dozen does for 2 hours right till dark with no sign of a Buck

iwing
11-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Does rattling work well in the kelowna/lumby area. I haven't really tried it before but i want to this season. If you do it how do you go about it?

hunterdon
11-13-2012, 05:05 PM
My experience over the years in the okanagan area concerning wts, is that the rut is at it's peak between November 20th to the 30th. That would be the best time to work the rut. They certainly do respond well to rattling at this time. Of course the rut will be on before and after this time period, just not so strong.

lovemywinchester
11-13-2012, 05:52 PM
My buddies wife in Ktown had to hit the brakes today when a WT buck chased a doe in front of her car. Sounds like they are getting frisky.

ramron
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Seen a half dozen scraps on the weekend in 8-12. Their starting to leave their calling cards.

hunterdon
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Here's a recent photo. As mentioned previously, the wt rut starts before the peak of nov 20th to 30th, although not as strong. Note the date stamp on the photo. This buck made this scrape a few days before. I dropped a few drops of doe in estrous scent in it earlier that day. That night he checked his scrape and marked his signature. (He urinated in it) This buck checks his scrape about 2 times a day. Just not during the day yet, but that will change as we get closer to the peak of the rut.
http://oi45.tinypic.com/ztewt2.jpg

GoatGuy
11-13-2012, 06:12 PM
not my boat
My point was how anything can appear in print these days.
The proverbial 'yer'.:mrgreen:

lovemywinchester
11-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Here's a recent photo. As mentioned previously, the wt rut starts before the peak of nov 20th to 30th, although not as strong. Note the date stamp on the photo. This buck made this scrape a few days before. I dropped a few drops of doe in estrous scent in it earlier that day. That night he checked his scrape and marked his signature. (He urinated in it) This buck checks his scrape about 2 times a day. Just not during the day yet, but that will change as we get closer to the peak of the rut.
http://oi45.tinypic.com/ztewt2.jpg

Nice big bodied buck. Have you had any BIG WT on the trail cam this year Hunterdon? Lumby and Cherryville are so famous for monster bucks it would be cool to see some on the cams.

Wrayzer
11-13-2012, 06:42 PM
just saw a few dozen WT does tonight, watched each group for a bit and not a single buck following. Still early.

hunterdon
11-13-2012, 10:45 PM
I've got a few photos of some decent bucks and bears, but not REALLY BIG yet. Although I am working on a wt buck that I think could be a bit of a stinker, according to his sign. Just haven't found that sweet spot for the cam, just yet. I don't like to enter a big buck's safe area too much at this time. So, I try to keep a low profile for now and surprise him later during the peak of the rut when he is more likely to let his guard down a bit. I usually bow hunt, so I've got to be real close. With those REALLY BIG one's, it can be a real cat and mouse game. Ahhhh......... but that's HUNTIN!!!:)

coach
11-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Good luck closing the deal on a big WT, hunterdon! Looking forward to your story and pictures.