PDA

View Full Version : Moose help! / Help moose!

Mishka
11-12-2012, 09:36 AM
I need some moose hunting help. My hunting partner and I have a bull moose LEH for Nov in region 8-7. We've been doing day trips getting in there before light. There hasn't been a lot of movement, but the recent snow is helping with this. Yesterday we finally found some good activity off a spur road and we followed some fresh tracks down to a nice feeding meadow bordered by older growth trees. It appears two moose were walking around in there and had bedded down at some point. All this was from sometime that night into the early morning (figured by the snow). We found this area at approximately 0930hrs. I'm not sure but we may have spooked the moose out of the meadow as we found fresh tracks coming back onto the road that we didn't see before. The second (bigger) moose appeared to have left in a different direction, following the meadow.

My question is, how would you approach this? We located a decent perch to observe the meadow from with the idea of heading down there before light. But I'm wondering if the moose are already in there, we may spook them out as we hike down. As hard as we try, we're going to make noise walking through the snow.

Also, are moose creatures of habit? Will they keep coming to this meadow? Or will they move around quite a bit. They have a lot areas like this to choose from. Thanks for your help!

wrenchhead
11-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Ya they are creatures of habit, all they are worried about right now is eating. So If you didnt push them out they will be there. You just have to wait them out.

ravensfoot
11-12-2012, 02:05 PM
It's a cow and a calf, I was up there the week before last and saw them. There was an immature bull taken in that area as well. The bull was harvested in a cut block at 11am :) The area you are hunting has about 8 - 10 good moose swamps that are all within a couple of KMs from each other. Check out the google maps, you will see them. The moose are travelling through all of these swamps and are moving around all throughout the day. Find the cut blocks that connect these swamps and you'll find your moose. Good Luck!!

Mishka
11-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Would not the cow and calf be staying together? The track in was from a single moose. A second set was found in the meadow and they left in a different direction from the first. There was a difference in size. This is the best sign we've seen so far and its off the main fsr's where there's been a lot of road hunting. I would like to try hunting "smarter" and thought if we could concentrate our efforts in one area we might be successful. You're right, Ravensfoot, there's a lot of good moosey areas but we haven't seen any recent sign going in our out of a few major ones and I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the road hunting traffic. I'm feeling like we're just purely relying on chance staring at cutblocks all day. I know of another bull that was taken in the area.

boxhitch
11-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Fresh snow today and tomorrow, hope you are out trying.

dave_fras
11-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Man I know the problem! I've got the 810 draw... I've only missed one day since the opener!! I've been seeing sooooooo many cows! Just saw 8 more today!! Can't find a single bull!