PDA

View Full Version : My Dog tracked my Doe!

Bc Deer Hunter
11-11-2012, 10:11 PM
I shot a whitetail doe today. She was also with about 4 other whities. It was a 230 yard shot off of my knee...i took out one lung and she busted down through the blow down trees. Thickest hell hole iv ever been in!! The point of impact had hair and i bit of blood but nothing major. I tracked the deer by myself for about 30 yards then all the blood was gone and tracking by hove was nearly impossible in the half melted snow, thats when i backed out to go get Honey (my dog)... took her up to the piont of impact and from there she was like a bat out of h3ll!! She was extreamly excited and eager to find this deer. When we came to the spot that i had lost the track she almost imeadiatly singled out the right one. From that piont on i was compleatly relying on her nose, as we went futher and further into the brush. 30 yards later we stumble upon her first succcesfull track and some fine table fair at that!! :grin: Im hopeing by next year she will be 100% ready to get out and help track others lost game but for now she and i both still have a lot of learning to do!!

Me and Honey:
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/013-1.jpg
Dad and Honey:
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/014-1.jpg

Shooter
11-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Thats awesome. Have you trained the dog to track at all or was it just natural instinct? I am going to work with my dogs this off season for something to do. It seems like something that would be fun for them and could be a benefit in the future also.

Pioneerman
11-11-2012, 10:20 PM
A good dog can be not only best friend, but best hunting partner, well done !

Bc Deer Hunter
11-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Thats awesome. Have you trained the dog to track at all or was it just natural instinct? I am going to work with my dogs this off season for something to do. It seems like something that would be fun for them and could be a benefit in the future also.
Thanks Shooter, i have been training her since the summer, still endless stuff to learn, but it really does pay off in the long run. She was not completly ready to track a deer at the stage she was at but it is always a good thing to try and challenge your dogs abilities, glad she could pull through for me. Best of luck with your dogs.. :)

The Dawg
11-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Nice work!

You're having a great season!

fearnodeer
11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Sounds like you have a good dog in the making

HunterOgi
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
nice shot... great dog.

Gunner
11-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Excellent job,Labs can retrieve almost anything!Just remember she MUST be on a leash if she's actually hunting with you,Cheers...Gunner

Jelvis
11-12-2012, 03:03 PM
All I can say is Bow WOW!
jel-goooodone

Bc Deer Hunter
11-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks evreyone and yep Gunner, she is always tied to my side when pounding the bush!! I just let her off the leash for the drag out. :)

coach
11-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Awesome story, BC Deer Hunter. I can't get over how much Honey looks like my lab, Chilko. Congrats on taking a whitey doe. Looks like you'll be eating well this winter. Great stuff!

Bc Deer Hunter
11-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Awesome story, BC Deer Hunter. I can't get over how much Honey looks like my lab, Chilko. Congrats on taking a whitey doe. Looks like you'll be eating well this winter. Great stuff!

Thanks Coach, yep Chilko and Honey do look very similar :) possibly brother and sister ;) Labs are all around great capanions! later.

moose2
11-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Good job getting your doe, your dog sounds like a good partner.
Mike

Sofa King
11-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Excellent job,Labs can retrieve almost anything!Just remember she MUST be on a leash if she's actually hunting with you,Cheers...Gunner

would that include retrieving a deer also?
i know if a dog accompanies you "while" you are hunting, it has to be on leash.
i guess though, that until you have possession, you are still "hunting" for it.