PDA

View Full Version : Buying a bow from the states?

dan_plus_o
12-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Are there any bows that are made in the US or Canada? There are some nice bows on ebay from the states and I may be interested in some of them. I don't like paying duties :mad:.

jessbennett
12-03-2006, 05:38 AM
chek out and support our dealers here in b.c. buying a bow from e-bay may seem like a great idea but in all actuality its not. i'll give you a few reasons. 1. you buy a bow on e-bay and warranty is void. 2. you just never know what you are going to get.3. the most important thing about buying locally is the service you get from your dealer. what i mean is you go see your dealer, he will properly get your draw length, and be able to help you determine wht type of bow would be best for you, draw length, poundage e.t.c. would be a crying shame to invest a bunch of money on a bow sight unseen that is 4 inches to short in draw length and 30 pounds to heavy for you to pull back. i dont know to many people on e-bay that would return your money for that. and a dealer will help you through all of this even before you buy a bow. and another thing is the service you get on your equipment after the purchase. little things like a new loop here, peep site there, and will really go out of their way to make sure that your bow is set up, you are happy with your investment and the eqipment you buy is warranty covered and is safe for you to shoot. trust me when i say it will make your shooting experiene a whole lot enjoyable. good luck and support your local dealer8)

Jagermeister
12-03-2006, 11:00 AM
I think buying a bow off Ebay is fine, I've done it. If you know what you are looking for, then you make your case search specific. In my case the bow that I wanted was a PSE Carrera. It was at my door (in Quesnel) in less than a week (from Kentucky) after I won the bid. Pse had no trouble honoring the warranty and I saved slightly over $100 after all costs and money conversions were factered in. The local dealer(s) may have been miffed at my purchase, but they didn't show it as every one knows, the bow is only half the cost of a bow setup. So the local dealers should treat you okay because they likely will be supplying you with the rest of the gear. Most archery gear is made in the US so it does not have a duty, but other taxes are applicable.
Here's the caveats. I would never buy a used bow off the internet unless I have a good idea of that person and it was a local forum such as this site, and even then, I want to see it before I would buy. You never know whether it was dry fired or what other stresses have been applied to it. Mathews Bows do not condone dealers selling over the 'net and will not honor the warranty and this may apply to other manufacturers as well.
If you have no or limited knowledge of bows, then it would be best to take the advice of the previous persons .

magicarrowman
12-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Personally, I wouldn't buy a bow from E-Bay. You just don't know exactly what you're getting. Like I replied to your previous thread( anyone from Courtenay..) go see Rick at Peter's Sports or Roger up at Tyee Marine in C. River. They will set you up properly!!! You will also get a waranty for your bow!!! Send a private message to mikek blacktail and he should give you a hand.

dan_plus_o
12-03-2006, 01:59 PM
I don't want to pay a lot of money for a bow.

I am 18 and only make around $150-$200 ever two weeks. I play guitar and that is where most of my money goes to. If I go to a local store I will probably have to pay $350-$400 up and then I don't have any arrows or any accessories. Even $300 for me is pushing it. I don't want to pay over $300 for something that I may not even enjoy after a month or two.

My dad is a hunter (gun hunter) and he says he will pay for my test, buy my license, and buy the deer tags. I just have to share my meat as if it was the family's meat. My dad has a gun he will give me and he will probably let me use any other gun he has. I just think bow hunting would be funner, and I can practice shooting it in my back yard (or somewhere in the woods, on my dad's property)

So the bottom line is I don't want to spend a lot of money on a hobbie that could die in a month or two. And like I said abve, I play guitar and theres always new gear to upgrade to (which costs a lot).

I just don't see me going to a hunting store and walking off with a bow (fully loaded, ready to hunt) for under $300.

stixnstones
12-03-2006, 02:44 PM
you might want to try a local pawn shop in your area. I was at one the other day and there was a PSE infinity for 250 with arrows,sights,trigger,quiver. You never know what you will find.goodluck

dan_plus_o
12-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I was originally going to check out some pawn shops.. For some reason I forgot about that.

We have four pawn shops (that I know of) where I live.

Maybe someone else from courtenay will read this.. Correct me if I am wrong.
- Treasure Chest (By the thrifty foods area at the lights)
- One pawn shop by lewis park (right by the 7-11)
- Another pawn shop that is by canadian tire (it is on the road that goes
to the old island highway, just before the hill starts)
- Another pawn shop that is on Cliffe Ave. I think its across from the 7-11.

Is that correct? I haven't been to them in a while so I don't know if they are all still there or if there are more.

NightOwl74
12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Check out archerybymail.com. I bought a Check-mate Hunter2 recurve for $400 and it is made in Abbotsford I believe. My jaw hit the floor when I opened the package, it is that beautiful a bow. And it is a blast to shoot. Not sure if your talking recurves or compound bows. Biggest advantage of a recurve is that they are light, and if you get a bow like the Hunter2, you can take the limbs off for easy packing. All you gotta do for a target is get a burlap sack and fill it with old grocery bags or scrap plastic from behind Home Depot etc.

dan_plus_o
12-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I want to get a compound bow.

levind
12-04-2006, 05:59 PM
try going to archerytalk.com they have a good site and a lot of good people there that might have something in your price range. they have a large selection of used bows that people are looking to sell. they also have ratings on people for there sales so you can see if they are honest people or not. if you were going to buy from someone on there make sure they have a good trade rating just to be sure. i have bought a few things of there and it has been a1 service.