PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids

Rubicon500
12-02-2006, 10:18 PM
So Today I was Bored and went out shed hunting..Dont have a bow So my Season has come to a end..So I figured I would try the hole "Shed Hunting" thing..Never did find any sheds seems the deer are all still wearing there Antlers and too much snow to find old sheds..but I did Manage to see a herd of Mule/Whitetail hyrbid type deers..The 4x3 Hybrid had the antlers of a whitey and the Face, Ears and ass of a mule..Very large body on it as well

I Was just wondering If any one eles have seen these Hyrbids In the Okangon Area?I noticed a few posts on here with a fellow claiming theres a herd of them up PG way but nothing so far in the OK region

BCrams
12-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Are you just trolling for trouble ????

Rubicon500
12-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Trolling for trouble??what is that suppose to mean BC Rams Ive trolled With my 12 foot lund before but not on a computer..I dont follow:???:

BCrams
12-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Let me ask you this.......

Just because the antlers took on a whitetail 'ish shape ... you deduced it to automatically be a hybrid right ??

It likely wasn't a hybrid....just a young muley buck.

There are no herds of hybrids up here from that post you are referring to.

Marc
12-02-2006, 10:36 PM
We had a heated debate that got ugly real fast on here. Trolling means , setting the bait and waiting for trouble to start. If it's an honest question most believe that the odds of actually seeing a hybrid in the wild is very slim and finding a herd of them is almost impossible.

There was a study done with penned animals and the hybrid deer took on both traits of the whitetail and mule deer, but with both combined made it very clumbsy and slow. Such an animal in the wild would most likely be killed by predators.

Marc.

Rubicon500
12-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Alright Marc and BC Thanks for the Info
You guys happen to have any tips on shed hunting?today was my first day and wondering how it is done

quadrakid
12-02-2006, 11:03 PM
look in backyards, thats where most sheds are found.

Marc
12-02-2006, 11:06 PM
I've never been out shed hunting. MattB, Steveo32, BCrams, or Dana could probably give you some good pointers. I was thinking of looking for some myself on the Island but have no clue to where to even start.

Marc.

dana
12-02-2006, 11:06 PM
You are about 4 months too early for shedhunting. April and May is the best time of year. No snow. ;)

Caveman
12-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Here's a mule deer I shot a few years back, easy to see how by the horns people could confuse it for a hybrid, especially when you see the horns after they have been removed.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/muley.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/100_0304.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/100_0301.jpg
Just a nice young three point muley buck with his rack nicely polished

StoneChaser
12-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Well.... I'm going to set myself up in the stockade for the public azzwhipping I'm about to receive and go admit that I am 100% confident that I saw a hybrid last week while out hunting.

The area is heavy to mulies, but in the last few years has had whitetail start showing up.

I was down an old skidtrail when I came upon a fawn. It looked all mulie from head on... but its ears seemed a little short. However, when it walked away it had a very odd tail... it was HUGE but it wasn't quite a muile azz on it.... strange.

Anyhow, I followed it, and a few minutes later jumped it and its mom...... a WHITETAIL doe.

I've seen enough mulies and whitetail to know what they look like...and this thing was NEITHER.

Let the flaming begin!

StoneChaser

MattB
12-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I dont think theres gonna be any flaming here...My bro got pics of a Whitetail buck that was chasing a muley doe. He watched the buck breed the doe, so it must not be too uncommon where the 2 species overlap...

Marc
12-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Ive read that a mule deer actually shares blacktail and whitetail DNA. That the mule deer evolved from blacktails and whitetails interbreeding. Sorta like what happen when they crossed the lion and the tiger, the offspring grew to be larger then both of it's original parents.

I'm sure crossbreading hapends, but probably not as often as a lot think it does.

Stonechaser, to bad you didn't witness seeing it run I would have been curious if strided like a whitetail or bounced like a mule deer?

Marc.

Ride
12-03-2006, 07:20 PM
They all have some of the same DNA base pairs being from the same genus of Odocoileus (or however you spell it)............

Islandeer
12-03-2006, 07:30 PM
I saw a pair of yearlings this year in the east kootenay that were some sort of mix. We were seeing up to 100 does and fawns a day for a week so these critters stood out a bit.
muley ears,whitey tails and different coloured hide than the rest of the herd.

NightOwl74
12-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Interesting. I have a question. Last summer I was going fishing just outside Kelowna, when I came around a corner and standing there is a Mule deer doe(identification certainty 100%) with a Whitetail(again 100%) fawn. They immediately took off........Muley bouncing, Whitey flagging! What the heck? Is it possible the doe took the Whitey fawn under her wing, maybe because it was orphaned? Or possibly the doe got bred by a Whitetail??????:frown: ?????????

mark
12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Ive seen mulies and whities hanging together tons of times!!! Bucks hanging together does together every combo you can name, ive seen it! But i havnt seen a deer that isnt clearly one or the other! Just my 2 cents!

GoatGuy
12-04-2006, 12:58 AM
I've also seen them mixed together. Shot a 5 pt whitey with 8 muley does and a couple muley bucks a couple years back.

Also got really excited one time WT hunting. Sitting there when I had a wt doe coming across in front of me in a hurry with a pile of bone following right behind her. Good thing I didn't think it was a hybrid cause I would have been in a PILE of trouble!!!! It was a muley through and through (though I'm sure I could find someone who would probably argue about that).

There are hybrids, of that it hasn't been disputed BUT they aren't behind every tree.

When all else fails apply common sense.