PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a very good cross bow

vip_ruger
11-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Just wanting to get some ideas for a top of the line crossbow never owned on before so I need a little help choosing which one to buy ?

The Silent Stalker
11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Excalibur. best shooting bang for buck.

nuadixion
11-11-2012, 09:01 AM
recurve - the simpler the better - excalibur x2

vip_ruger
11-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Which Excalibur cross bow do u think is the one to go with ?

Vader
11-11-2012, 09:16 AM
It depends greatly on what type of hunting you intend on doing. Sitting in a treestand is way different than crawling through alders trying to work in on an elk.

I have a friend who I watched with much amusement trying to work his first crossbow, a compound that weighed 11.5 lbs without the arrows in the attached quiver, through some brushy country. He lost two arrows and the wheels were full of extra camo, (leaves), in short order. He was pretty much all in by the end of the day and complained about the weight and how difficult it was to manouver the thing through the bush. Everything seemed to get hung up and I can confirm that he was extremely noisy.

He has since switched to an Excaliber which is lighter in weight and he carries a hip quiver which he finds easier to get around in. I recently purchased a Wicked Ridge to play with, (something different), and it seems to be comparable to the excaliber in weight. It has a short axle to axle, 26 inch, and over all length is 38 inches which is reasonable. I haven't drug it around in the bush yet, I may never as I am partial to my compound bow, but I think it would probably be ok.

These are the only 2 that I would really consider for a packing cross bow. Anything else would do for tree stand or ground blind activity. Mostly it depends on what's in your wallet.

My only other comment on a cross bow. It might be held like a gun and sorta look like a gun but it is archery equipment and therefore does not shoot like a gun. They have their limitations and require a good deal of practice to learn how to effectively judge distances and be able to gap shoot or hold over with the cross hairs to effectively hit the kill zone.

Brew
11-11-2012, 09:18 AM
I have the equinox and it is unreal fast and accurate. Extremely easy to shoot out to 60 yards with the Excalibur scope. I still prefer my bow compared to the xbow for ease of walking through timber and ease of shooting in wooded areas. Also vert bows are way lighter to carry for a day.

vip_ruger
11-11-2012, 09:30 AM
I will be useing it only for deer in the tree stand at 45 yards the most would be out to 65 yard then were all bush thanks for the help more info is better for me as this would be my first go at archery equipment

hunterdon
11-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Sounds like you have had some good suggestions here already. What I would like to add is that a cross bow is very different than a compound bow in one very important way. All bows (compound/ longbows/recurve are quieter. In fact, cross bows are really noisy beasts. Some new models claim to be quieter, but which ever model you purchase, it will still be a noisy critter.

With that in mind, i do not recommended it for those long shots on deer. Deer are normally quite spooky compared to moose or bear. When they hear that loud twang, they will usually react by moving quickly. If your shot is as you say out to 45 to 60 yrds, you will likely miss the animal completely or worse yet, wound the animal. I have probably taken 30 plus animals with cross bow alone. (deer, bear,cougar). On deer, with a cross bow, I keep my shots to 20 yds or less.

For any longer shots on deer, the compound bow is definitely my preferred choice. However, I have to admit, probably more than 90 percent of my crossbow kills have been 15 yds or less.
I'm a firm believer, that a 65 yrd shot on deer with is just too far with any archery equipment. Too many things can go wrong between the release of that arrow and it's intended target. With a rifle, that's not a concern. I have also installed a silencing kit on my crossbow.

Hope that helps and good luck!

IronNoggin
11-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Which Excalibur cross bow do u think is the one to go with ?

Likely the Best Built crossbow in the market, and backed by the Best No Questions Asked Warranty going.

Reasonably light, Extremely Accurate, Tough as Nails, and Simple in design. Changing a string in the bush is quick and easy - try THAT with a compound! LOL! And Canadian Made btw :)

The only downsides I see:
- They are a tad wide. No issue if tree-standing, but can be a bit of a PITA crawling through dense stuff.
- They are a little noisy. All crossbows are inherently.

To address the latter, I went with the Excalibur S-5 system in combination with Dissipator Bars, and wrapped the stirrup etc with Camo-Form. Now, it is pretty much as quiet as my Buddy's compound! Sweet!

There is a Forum for these bows should you want to investigate with those that own them: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php

Cheers,
Nog

Badlands62
11-11-2012, 04:14 PM
A friend of mine just picked up the Excalibur Eqinox, he just loves it. Fast, lite, and accurate. Good to 60yards..

300H&H
11-11-2012, 09:44 PM
If you are looking for a good deal on a crossbow, check this out.

It is posted by another member.

IMHO Excalibur are great...I love mine.

www.huntingbc.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=3168459

000buck
11-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Check out the new mission. nice x bow