PDA

View Full Version : Mounts Require hunting tag even if they are 100 years old!

Glock4U
11-10-2012, 09:12 PM
I recently looked into procuring a set of moose antlers to hang in the Antler Creek Outfitters store but found out that if they didn't have a "tag" for them then I would be in contravention of the conservation laws for possession. These antlers are over 5 years old and a tag cannot be produced. Does anyone have relevent information whether this is true or not and where this information could be accessed? Thanks!

BRvalley
11-10-2012, 09:19 PM
i worked at a heli-ski lodge that had many mounts on display, no permits or paperwork at all...the local co stopped in several times every fall, never asked a question

i've heard about harvesting racks from roadkill and stumbling on dead bucks in the woods...i think this applies

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/fw_permreg.html

RiverOtter
11-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I've heard it is prudent to have a tag for every mount.....

That said, unless it's a compulsory inspection animal, an old unfilled tag could be "cut" and pressed into service, if someone was so inclined....

BigfishCanada
11-10-2012, 09:27 PM
so if my dad has a head from the 70's I need his tag?

boxhitch
11-10-2012, 09:28 PM
it's unlawful #6 , also pg 8 'keeping your licences and records' touches on the subject.
its due diligence to have proof of legal possession
thousands don't

chances are it is not an issue , until you try and sell or transfer to someone else

Glock4U
11-10-2012, 09:31 PM
That's the way it was explained to me and if a conservation officer took it to task, could remove they antlers and impose a fine at the least!

Gateholio
11-10-2012, 09:35 PM
In The regulations it says to keep the tags from all animals until they are consumed, and if the trophies are kept, to keep tags indefinitely. I am sure that it's not common to have CO's demand to see them in stores and bars though. Unless they have some reason to be suspicious.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I've kept all my old licences. Pretty sure there are well over 100 uncut tags in the pile....as well as cut tags and CI's to go with all my mounts and antlers in the garage. What cut tag goes with which set of antlers?? Well, I'm getting older and dates get mixed up. C'est La Vie.

SSS

eastkoot
11-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Just sold 10 sets of elk antlers (on the skull) and had to produce the tags. I have another dozen or so and am applying to get a permit for my own horns from MOE as I don't have tags from years past to accompany them.. So I pay permit fees to own my own antlers so I can sell them..Also, bear rugs and any mounts legally need a tag number and date of kill to be sold...

300H&H
11-11-2012, 09:58 PM
I too have heard of this rule...silly !

When I was buying antlers and mounts if they did not have the cut tag for that kill,it was not unheard of to cue a uncut tag.

Please...no criticizing.

But for you, you may want to keep everything on the up & up.

One Shot
11-12-2012, 12:35 AM
I've heard it is prudent to have a tag for every mount.....

That said, unless it's a compulsory inspection animal, an old unfilled tag could be "cut" and pressed into service, if someone was so inclined....

Are you suggesting to others to do something that which would be illegal?

Mr. Dean
11-12-2012, 04:45 AM
Each of my mounts has it's cut tag laminated and stapled to the back.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Each of my mounts has it's cut tag laminated and stapled to the back.

Very good idea, Mr. Dean! Saves on the shenanigans.

But for those who haven't kept old tags, yes, you can wallow in the mire of bureaucracy OR just take one of you old uncut tags. Did you or someone else poach that animal? I presume not. So, if it was harvested legitimately there is no practical reason why you wouldn't just cut an old tag, or even produce a future tag for it whether you failed to fill the tag that year or filled the tag with a non-mountworthy bull and you apply it to your mountable one.

Glock4U
11-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Agreed! I really do not want to place myself in a position that would create any conflict. Having said that....... if a person has a mount I can use that has a tag, I would graciously accept their generosity!

Sofa King
11-13-2012, 01:42 AM
this is such a ridiculous law.
how does it make any sense?
why wouldn't it apply then to a fur jacket as well?

Mr. Dean
11-13-2012, 01:59 AM
this is such a ridiculous law.
how does it make any sense?
why wouldn't it apply then to a fur jacket as well?

Commercial products have measures that are built into the process.
The playing fields are on 2 completely different levels and we got it e a s y, in comparison.

Careful what you wish for.....

saskbooknut
11-13-2012, 05:52 AM
This one could make an interesting court case due to the retroactive nature of the supposed "offence".

So......the skull plate mount of my Mule deer from the Arrow lakes country dated 1979 is supposed to have a tag with it ?????
It was not a requirement then to save the tags and is unlikely to be an issue now, as I see it.
I can accept that if I want to sell this mount I need a permit to do so, but it surely isn't any crime to have it hanging in my house.
And what about the pile of antlers in the garage from 50 years of hunting ?

J_T
11-13-2012, 05:59 AM
About 20 years ago I asked the Ministry about this and they said not to worry about it. My concern was my Dad's mounts. His sheep had no compulsory inspection and do not have a plug in the horn. Among other mounts, I did not want these to be lost to a technicality.

I would think that human reason will win out. Following all the rules at a said moment in time, 60's, 70's that which was acceptable then would still have jurisdiction today.

I found a full 6pt elk skeleton in the bush a few years ago and removed the head. I tossed it up on my shed for a while. Some kids took it and it eventually made it's way into the hands of the CO's and they eventually found their way to me. They gave me back the 6pt rack, and did not ask me to provide proof of kill. Thank you very much. Sometimes I think we make too much out of nothing.

russm86
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
I know some people that sell there mature deer, moose, and elk capes to some taxidermists who in turn use the hides in conjuction with drop antlers to make a complete mount which they turn around and sell. I'm pretty sure no tag or anything is given to the taxi as the owner techinically must still have the tag to own the antlers? Also, would a taxi reciept count? I believe many taxis put all the tag and license info on the receipts when they do up mounts or rugs.

Mr. Dean
11-15-2012, 02:09 AM
I know some people that sell there mature deer, moose, and elk capes to some taxidermists who in turn use the hides in conjuction with drop antlers to make a complete mount which they turn around and sell. I'm pretty sure no tag or anything is given to the taxi as the owner techinically must still have the tag to own the antlers? Also, would a taxi reciept count? I believe many taxis put all the tag and license info on the receipts when they do up mounts or rugs.

Pretty sure that the info just needs to be manifested and not kept.
I believe the Taxi is acting as an inspector, of sorts....