PDA

View Full Version : I shall remember on november 11-

BigfishCanada
11-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I was asked to go fishing tomorrow, and the coach just added a hockey practice tomorrow. I wont fish, and I wont take my boy to hockey, we will as a family head to the port moody legion, attend the ceremony and then my wife will take the kids home as I go in to buy any vetran I meet a beer.

November 11 is not a holiday, it’s a day I remember what he did to give me freedom and life. Thank you and all the fallen soldiers

98 years ago my grandfather wrote in his diary which I type below (I have this diary and read it every year), from trenchs in France. I am grateful he was wounded that day, for if he hadn’t and continued on to Vimmy I may not have been here today.

Lord,of thy infinite pity stoop and take me home. To thy heaven, to cleanse and make me whole. Blind to thy beauty, should I care to linger- life in limbs, and grey death in my soul. Fred Cade, Sept 1915.

Monday May 24th 1915- Attack Started at 2am. Bridge party went over first 8th po rifles 7th batt. 5th batt 3. And 1st troops “c” sqd, at 4:30 we attacked Bexhill, gained footing told to hang on, stoneham, cooke frazer, moss got killed. I got hit by shrapnel at 6:30 in foot, started out then got hit in wrist and lower back, 6:50 met trevor who dressed my wounds and found me some rum, saw me to a dressing station where the gave me morphine..went to sleep

later that day there was a truce to bury the dead,

http://cthornby.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/733px-anzac-truce-24-may-1915.jpg?w=733&h=600

The Battle of St Julien [24th April - 4th May] On the morning of 24 April, 1915, the Germans released another cloud of chlorine gas, this time directly towards the re-formed Canadian lines just west of the village of St. Julien. On seeing the approach of the greenish-grey gas cloud, word was passed among the Canadian troops to urinate on their handkerchiefs and place these over their noses and mouths.Francis Alexander Carron Scrimger, V.C., M.D. Capt. Scrimger, with the 2nd Canadian Field Ambulance, may have passed the order to use urine to counteract the gas, but there is some doubt. Capt. Scrimger won a Victoria Cross for other actions on 25 April. Francis Alexander Carron Scrimger, V.C., M.D. Capt. Scrimger, with the 2nd Canadian Field Ambulance, may have passed the order to use urine to counteract the gas, but there is some doubt. Capt. Scrimger won a Victoria Cross for other actions on 25 April. The village of St. Julien was occupied by German troops after their attack initiated with gas broke the Canadian line there. The following day the York and Durham Brigade units of the Northumberland Division counterattacked failing to secure their objectives but establishing a new line close to the village. The third day the Northumberland Brigade attacked again, briefly taking part of the village but forced back with the loss of more than 1,900 men and 40 officers - two thirds of its strength.
http://hartleyfamily.org.uk/Ypres.jpg

for what they gave, most will never realize.. please post names of who you know serve or served. god bless all of them

300H&H
11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
"November 11 is not a holiday, it’s a day I remember what he did to give me freedom and life. Thank you and all the fallen soldiers"

Too many people think it is just that. A holiday, and it is not. Thank you for posting.

300H&H
11-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks Dad for your service to our country.

Richard J. VanderHoek
PPCLI
Served in Canada and Germany

Marc
11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I myself served in with the Canadian Navy for 18 years before being medically released in 2008. Still have tonnes of people who I consider family still serving.

My Brother Peter Robichaud continues to Serve
My Brother Dan Robichaud retired
My uncles Frank, Edgar, and Armand who served in Korea now retired, Edgar now deceased.
My cousin Mike Robichaud now retired
and to my Grand Father who served in the 2nd world war, retired and now deceased.

I had someone say to me the other day that it wasn't fair for me to be able to draw my pension while I'm still working...some truly don't understand what sacrifices our armed forces personnel take and do over their career. They don't understand that they can be called upon at any time to defend their country and way of life. The countless hours, weeks, and months spent away from home and family and willing to sacrifice their lives to protect what we as Canadians sometimes take for granted.

Do I think it' fair that I get to draw a pension while I'm working another job? Hell yea! I served my time, I didn't see any real action? No, but I was in areas that things could have gone to hell in a handbag at any time. Anyone out there that doesn't think it's right that I get to draw my military pension while I'm still capable of working doesn't understand what sacrifice and serving your country is all about. Everyone has the chance of making the same life choices, if they decide to do a different career, how can they say it's not fair?

Bc Deer Hunter
11-10-2012, 06:00 PM
I myself served in with the Canadian Navy for 18 years before being medically released in 2008. Still have tonnes of people who I consider family still serving.

My uncles Frank, Edgar, and Armand who served in Korea now retired, Edgar now deceased.
and to my Grand Father who served in the 2nd world war, retired and now deceased.

I had someone say to me the other day that it wasn't fair for me to be able to draw my pension while I'm still working...some truly don't understand what sacrifices our armed forces personnel take and do over their career. They don't understand that they can be called upon at any time to defend their country and way of life. The countless hours, weeks, and months spent away from home and family and willing to sacrifice their lives to protect what we as Canadians sometimes take for granted.

Do I think it' fair that I get to draw a pension while I'm working another job? Hell yea! I served my time, I didn't see any real action? No, but I was in areas that things could have gone to hell in a handbag at any time. Anyone out there that doesn't think it's right that I get to draw my military pension while I'm still capable of working doesn't understand what sacrifice and serving your country is all about. Everyone has the chance of making the same life choices, if they decide to do a different career, how can they say it's not fair?
Agree 100%... thank you and the rest of the canadian armed forces for serving our contry.

The Dawg
11-10-2012, 06:07 PM
My Great Grandfather on my dads side is the top one on this paper
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e089/e002211031.jpg

My Dad's dad (My grandfather) Served with the Seaforth Highlanders in Italy, and was one of the ones that liberated Ortona.

He's been gone for 7 years now. Miss him every day. He was injured in battle, but kept going.

Didnt like to talk about it much. He served with the last remaining Canadian to win the VC, Smoky Smith.
I got to meet Smoky a couple of times, the last being at my Grandpa's funeral.

My Grandfather on my moms side was with the Royal Signal Corp, based in Northern Africa. He also took place in the Landings during D-Day.
He just passed away in October of this year.

My Grandmother on my moms side was with the Codebreakers in Britain. She was one of the ones trying to break the Enigma machine.

I do have a good friend of mine that has done 2 tours in the Sandbox (Afghan theater)
Cpl Andy Gill.

I have tried to thank them all for their service, but each one of them said the same thing ;

"We didnt do anything special- we just did what we had to do. Dont thank us, thank the ones that didnt make it"

wunderboy
11-10-2012, 06:12 PM

I am someone who is often critical of how we have spent our tax dollars but I am ashamed of how little we give our vets. Personally I believe that because you served in the navy for 18 years you shouldn't be drawing a pension while you work...........because the pension is large enough you can retire and spend your time hunting!! My six month old son will be attending his first remembrance day ceremony tomorrow. Coming from a new father. Thank you for everything you and your family has done. If my son follows in your footsteps I will be the proudest (worried) but proudest father around.

The Dawg
11-10-2012, 06:19 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/14221_508370562515193_1828314925_n.jpg

The Dawg
11-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I got this from my buddy Andy, who I mentioned above.

I am an Afghanistan veteran, and I am not homeless, shell-shocked, drunk or punching walls. I am not the modern version of the scruffy Vietnam vet living in a cardboard box, nor do I pay much mind to the label "Afghan vet."

However, I am forever grateful for the uncertain hand of chance that meant I was able to return home to my family, alive and with all my limbs.

I am proud of what we achieved in my time there, even though the final outcome is far from certain.

Sometimes I find myself longing for the stark simplicity of life at a combat outpost.

Sometimes I find normal, everyday life to be boring, mundane, insignificant and dull, particularly when compared to the rush and thrill and terror of combat.

Sometimes I miss Afghanistan, no matter how insane that thought may seem to the average person.

I would love to live up to the stereotype that I did it all for my country.

But in all honesty, if you had asked us at the time, very few of us would have been able to say we were in Afghanistan because it was the right thing to do.

We were all there for our own reasons – be it to prove oneself, to play your part in a grand adventure, or simply to get in scraps and gunfights for a few months and to **** shit up.

But one thing we all know having returned is that we were there – and those who weren’t will either forever wish they had been, or at least will never understand what exactly"there" means.

But if I could ask one thing of all Canadians for Remembrance Day, it would be this:

Spare not a thought for the fallen.

Think instead of those left behind, the families.

All soldiers join knowing the risks, and all soldiers deploy to wars even more aware of those risks, and are willing to take them, for themselves, for the challenge, or simply because it is expected.

But no family freely offers their loved one up. No family truly thinks it could happen to their loved one. But in the end, it is they who pay the sacrifice long after their loved one is gone.

Think of them, remember them, this November 11.

Weatherby Fan
11-10-2012, 06:41 PM
My Grandfather Angus Waters Murray who served in the 2nd world war

My eldest Brother Einar "OLE" Lynum who served for 25 years

With respect and thanks
WF

jonz
11-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Good thread, I agree.

Ciskman
11-10-2012, 09:16 PM
I just want to mention Search and Rescue Technician Sgt Janick Gilbert. Janick died Oct 27 2011 parachuting into the Arctic Ocean to save the lives of two Inuit hunters here in Canada. Janick and two other Sar Techs left the Hercules not knowing if...or when they would be extracted. Five hours later, a Cormorant helo from Gander arrived picking up the two Inuit and the two surviving Sar Techs. Janick, deceased, was last to be located.

Janick spent many years serving at 442 Sqn Comox and the lives of many British Columbians can be accredited to his actions.

Janick left behind a wife and two children.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?73860-Canadian-Forces-Colleague-and-a-Friend-gave-his-life-last-night

Wrayzer
11-10-2012, 09:30 PM
My Grandfather, Fred Ellis, served in WWII in Holland and France for the South Wales Borderers and the Monmouthshire Regiment with the 2nd Btallion-53rd (Welsh) infantry division.

He was wounded in Holland in combat and retired as a Luitenant. He passed away February 2011 at the age of 92, and it puts a lump in my throat just typing this out. Miss ya everyday Pa. He was the kind of guy who never did talk much about the war, but proudly wore his medals every November 11.

The Dude
11-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks Dad, Lance Corporal, England, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, (REME) WW2. Fixed firing systems on anti-aircraft batteries from a Norton Commando:D
Mom: Womens Royal Naval Service: Nurse, taking care of casualties from Belgium and Holland, WW2

All Uncles and Aunts served in WW2, both sides of my family. Both my Grandfathers served in WW1.

At least one Great-Grandfather was in the Boer war in South Africa, believe it or not, the other side was Navy. Still looking for details.

Thanks to all. My Brother, cousins and I are the first generation in at least 4-5 that didn't have to serve to defend our rights. (Not that every war is righteous, but the two big ones were)

The Dawg
11-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks Dad, Lance Corporal, England, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, (REME) WW2. Fixed firing systems on anti-aircraft batteries from a Norton Commando:D
Mom: Womens Royal Naval Service: Nurse, taking care of casualties from Belgium and Holland, WW2

All Uncles and Aunts served in WW2, both sides of my family. Both my Grandfathers served in WW1.

At least one Great-Grandfather was in the Boer war in South Africa, believe it or not, the other side was Navy. Still looking for details.

Thanks to all. My Brother, cousins and I are the first generation in at least 4-5 that didn't have to serve to defend our rights. (Not that every war is righteous, but the two big ones were)

Dude, PM me. I might be able to help with the Boer War stuff. That paper I have posted was my great grandfather stuff from then

BuckEye
11-10-2012, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=NoahDawg;1233850]My Dad's dad (My grandfather) Served with the Seaforth Highlanders in Italy, and was one of the ones that liberated Ortona.[/QUOTE

My grandfather on my mum's side also fought with the Seaforth Highlanders in Italy. This young Canadian soldier met a lovely young brit girl at a military organized dance in the UK. She worked in a war time aviation factory apparently painting the phosphorescent markings on the instrument dials. She also made clothing for children's dolls with the material she gathered from parachute remnants. They married, had a war baby who later had me.
My other grandfather Gilbert fought in the air and spend time in Burma and had some old cool pics and stories of his crew in India with their birds. RIP to them all.

During world cup soccer a number of years back, Italy was doing very well. A hard core Italian (arrogant reputation co worker) of my age group, responded to a comment about his italian jersey (company dinner event) with "italians have something to be proud of, what do you have to be proud of, ha ha ha". I told him a quick story about my grandfather in Italy. Unfair of me, maybe, but he shut up for most of the rest of the evening to mosts pleasure. I felt super proud.
Nov 11 is a day to be thankful for what we have and to recognize and remember those that served to make the freedom so. Modern world veterans as well as Grandpa's, Grandma's (Nanny's in my case) and those unknown.
Aviator Gilbert loved his hunting trips and i'm sure would be very happy to know I may take the day to go out and keep the tradition alive while thinking about him. Observe the minute.

Andy83
11-10-2012, 10:04 PM
I'll be taking my son and daughter to the cenotaph downtown tomorrow morning. My Grandfather on my dads side was in the RCAF during WWII. His halifax bomber was shot down over Germany in January of 1945 and he spent the remainder of the war in a POW camp. He lost 6 buddies in that crash.. Only him and the pilot made it. I cant even fathom going through something like that. I am fortunate that he is still with us at 89 years old. To all the veterans who have served our great nation, thank you!

MikeH
11-11-2012, 02:04 AM
I feel the exact same way as your buddy .. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=1809&dateline=1166778181 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?1809-NoahDawg) NoahDawg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?1809-NoahDawg) it's like I wrote it. I spent almost 7 months in Kandahar in 2008 glad to be with my family again.I lost friends in 2006 and 2008.I think mostly of the kids that have no fathers.
My grandfather was in WWII Normandy Juno beach.RIP to the fallen.

Fido
11-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Thank you all that served our country without you we would not have a country that we know today. I had 2 uncles that served and my father was in the merchant marines again thank you so much.

CRS
11-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Charles Henry Bradford
Royal Canadian Dragoons
#B-152

Thanks Granmps.....

pappy
11-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Campbell Mcdonald served in ww2, he is my grandfather who has passed on when I was a young teenager. He lived with a broken neck for most of his life because of the war. He has medals hanging in my grandma's house, with a picture of who he fought with. He never talked about any of the fighting. Thank you Papa I love you and I miss you lots.

Gunner
11-11-2012, 10:26 AM
My Grandfather,W.E Stormont,29th Battalion CEF 1914/18.My great uncle,Captain Jack McLennan,killed at Vimy Ridge.My father Lt.Col.A.H McLennan,wounded and captured in Northern Italy while serving with the British Army,28 years service in the Canadian Army.My Uncle P.D McLennan,served in Italy and Northwest Europe with the Seaforths,wounded in Korea while with the PPCLI.All are gone now but they will never be forgotten. Gunner

bearhunter338-06
11-11-2012, 11:30 AM
I myself don't need a day to remember my grandfather's who served and fought for our freedom. I remember and thank them everyday for what they sacrificed for other.

The Dawg
11-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Thought I would share an absolutely amazing photo my good friend Chas Holzworth of Oceanwave Photography took today in Victoria at the Remembrance Ceremonies.

I dont have to describe it anymore, it does it for itself.....

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s592/Noahdawg247/chasphoto.jpg

Opinionated Ol Phart
11-11-2012, 10:48 PM
My Great Grandfather on my dads side is the top one on this paper
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e089/e002211031.jpg

My Dad's dad (My grandfather) Served with the Seaforth Highlanders in Italy, and was one of the ones that liberated Ortona.

He's been gone for 7 years now. Miss him every day. He was injured in battle, but kept going.

Didnt like to talk about it much. He served with the last remaining Canadian to win the VC, Smoky Smith.
I got to meet Smoky a couple of times, the last being at my Grandpa's funeral.

My Grandfather on my moms side was with the Royal Signal Corp, based in Northern Africa. He also took place in the Landings during D-Day.
He just passed away in October of this year.

My Grandmother on my moms side was with the Codebreakers in Britain. She was one of the ones trying to break the Enigma machine.

I do have a good friend of mine that has done 2 tours in the Sandbox (Afghan theater)
Cpl Andy Gill.

I have tried to thank them all for their service, but each one of them said the same thing ;

"We didnt do anything special- we just did what we had to do. Dont thank us, thank the ones that didnt make it"

Its nice to see your mention of Ortona.... Your grandfather was luckier than my dad. He was killed at the Moro River outside Ortona a few days before the town was taken from the German paratroopers that had orders to hold on at all costs . He is buried in the Canadian War Cemetery in Ortona along with over 1100 other Canadian and Allied troops. I was 7 months old when he was killed. I always wonder "What might have been"

xfactor
11-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Well, I have never served, nor do I know anyone who has. I do want to thank all of those that have, and those that still do. God bless you and your families for the sacrifices you make. From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!!!

Glassman
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
My grandfather was in ww1 and ww2. In ww1 he served for Germany on a patrol boat on the Danube river. In ww2 he served for Germany in St. Rochelle France in the u-boat headquarters as an officer in communicating with u-boats. After the war was over the "other guys" kept him in a pow camp. When he finally was released he came home with new respect for life and some serious questions for the religious leaders who were promoting war and telling his soldier friends to kill. When he found out that the priests from the same religion as his from the brits and american side were also promoting war and telling them to kill, he was very angry. Angry at not only the goverment leaders but also at the religious leaders. His words of advice to ALL young ones is that war is stupid, killing is stupid and leaders who promote wars are also stupid. If every person told their leaders "I will not go to war and I will not enlist" then there would be no war. So..... who's fault is it if a soldier gets killed, 1) the war mongering government leader, 2) the war mongering religious leader or 3)the person who went to war? Me thinks it's all 3.
War is stupid. Wouldn't it be nice if there is no war. My Dad said "if you ain't gonna eat it, don't shoot it"
And yes, to me remembrance day is a "day off" and I do remember. I remember the nice 4 point I got a couple of years ago on Nov 11. I remember the great time I have taking my boys hunting and explaining to them why we should respect life.