PDA

View Full Version : game processing kit

ZombieApocalypse
11-10-2012, 10:56 AM
can anyone suggest a good game processing kit? I kno you mainly just need a bone saw and a really sharp knife... Could the more experienced guys give alittle more details? I am mainly looking at something universal that can harvest medium sized game... white tail deer at the largest but that I can use for fowls and fish as well. Kind of the hunters multi tool so to speak.

Mr. Dean
11-10-2012, 12:09 PM
All I use is a fillet knife and a larger chefs 'cook' knife.

Everything gets deboned...

nuadixion
11-10-2012, 12:48 PM
exacto knife and good quality boning knife do the job for me.

BiG Boar
11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
a boning knife from a kitchen store can do pretty much everything from skinning to deboning, to cutting. You don't need a saw.

Steeleco
11-10-2012, 12:59 PM
As suggested above, spend your money on good quality knives and they'll last forever. I've a cheapo bone saw and two Cariboo skinner knives in the use in the "chop shop"

Big Lew
11-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Additionally, you'll need a sharpening stone or tool as well as a descent-sized grinder. As "Steeleco" said, spend your money on good quality knives and they'll last forever. I inherited my Dad's assortment of knives which are high quality skinning and butchering knives that have to be at least 60-80 years old and are in good shape and still hold a very sharp edge.

Cookie-kid
11-10-2012, 02:08 PM
I just did a Vi/bt, gut to grind with a "bone collector" knife. Cleaned & honed my blade between phases, even managed to remove the rib meat cleanly. Once you find a knife that fits you nicely, it's hard not to put it down while processing your game.

ZombieApocalypse
11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the posts guys! I pretty much figured as much... Has anyone had any experiences with havalon surgical skinning knives?

Steeleco
11-10-2012, 04:05 PM
ZA, are you looking for something to use in the field, or for processing your game at home? I do have a set up of the Havalon knives, but I only use them for caping not skinning. For skinning I've got a Buck Vanguard. But for each person here, you'll get a different answer. It's such an individual thing!!

krazy
11-10-2012, 06:28 PM
can anyone suggest a good game processing kit?

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1189&section2=1678&ID=9541

I really only use 2 knifes, boning and butcher (to cut steaks) and the sharpening steel but for the price you might as well get the whole kit.

And for in the field this guy with the sheath with the built in steel .......

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r1s.html

ZombieApocalypse
11-11-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm looking for a knife for in the field ... I'm not as concerned about processing at home as i am in the initial gutting

270WIN
11-11-2012, 10:56 AM
i have used outdoor edge stuff for years now.I am very happy with there product. this is my next kit as I find my self getting farther and farther away from the roads. As said you dont need a saw.
http://www.outdooredge.com/Blaze-N-Bone-p/blaze%20n%20bone.htm

Mr. Dean
11-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm looking for a knife for in the field ... I'm not as concerned about processing at home as i am in the initial gutting

That's Field Dressing.....

Buck is a knife with good rep.
I like the T-handle saw that Outdoor Edge makes (I have a few brands...)
Rope is handy.
And so is a jug of clean water and a couple towels/paper towels.
Tarp.

Gateholio
11-11-2012, 01:21 PM

Boning knife gets used from start to finish.

Vinny
11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
I too use Outdoor Edge products and am happy with their product(use the Swingblade and also have used the Kodi Pak). My last elk I tried my hunting buddies Havalon Piranta and was so impressed I went out and bought one, no need to sharpen part way through field dressing now.

ZombieApocalypse
11-18-2012, 09:18 PM
good to hear! i am really impressed with the havalon blade and everything i've seen about it. it's so cheap and it comes with 10 replacement blades. Havalon is a company that makes surgical scalpals for hospitals and they realized that there was a need in the hunting community for such a device so they are surgical grade. Time to throw on some scrubs and your operation gloves ! :D