PDA

View Full Version : Just 3

Sofa King
11-09-2012, 11:49 PM
what are 3 of your biggest irritants regarding other hunters out in the field?

mine:

1.road-hunters.
now not all of them per-say.
but two nights ago, i was able to get out for an end-of-the-day hunt.
i had done a two-hour hike through one of my areas and decided to try and get to another spot in time for a quick walk-thru before dark.
i drove my truck out to the main rd and headed up.
shortly i caught up to a truck that was putting up the rd, road-hunting every clearing they saw.
well they made a point to stay in the center of the rd and make sure i couldn't get past them.
i could see that they seemed determined not to let me get to clearings before they did.
but obviously i'm not road-hunting, as i was in a hurry.
and then a truck passed by us from the other direction, so it wasn't like nobody had been thru the rd before them.
but they still refused to let me by, the passenger even rolling down his window and glaring back at me, as if "how dare i interrupt their hunt". ??
maybe i wasn't even a hunter and had somewhere to get to.
it was very frustrating and maddening.

2. litter.
i hate seeing a coffee cup from timmees or 7-11 tossed on the rd on their drive in that am.
or their beer-cans all over the rd, etc.

3. target-practice/gun-sighting.
so often i've come across guys set up and just shooting right near where i've been chasing deer around.

coach
11-09-2012, 11:58 PM
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQJ882QYzr-M

604redneck
11-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Your number 3 is my number 1 followed by dirtbikers and people on sport quads ripping through trails revving there engines and my number 3 is garbage in the bush

Glenny
11-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Ditto on the litter. I just don't get it. As far as the road hunters go if they all stopped road hunting your honey holes would be crawling with hunners. I do let people pass me all the time.

Glenny
11-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Carnies!!................

fuzzybiscuit
11-10-2012, 12:49 AM
I only have one and that would be people who tailgate. It's easy to tell who they are because, well, they follow real close behind you when you're just out trying to have a quiet road hunt. Quite often they appear to be in a hurry and when you pull over to let them pass they just end up driving the same speed that you were originally going, but now slightly in front of you. So I don't bother letting them go by. I usually just roll down the window and glare back at them.

The Dude
11-10-2012, 01:03 AM
i only have one and that would be people who tailgate. It's easy to tell who they are because, well, they follow real close behind you when you're just out trying to have a quiet road hunt. Quite often they appear to be in a hurry and when you pull over to let them pass they just end up driving the same speed that you were originally going, but now slightly in front of you. So i don't bother letting them go by. I usually just roll down the window and glare back at them.

lm.f.ao .....

GumbyFromLumby
11-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Last time I let someone pass me while road hunting... shot a Immature bull moose 10 mins later just in front of me. I swore at my self for days. I will never let that happen again.

Ozone
11-10-2012, 02:41 AM
Just so we are clear duallie, after you pass these "road hunters" a big buck walks out infront of you, do you shoot it becouse its a big buck or drive by becouse your not a "road hunter"?

Mr. Dean
11-10-2012, 03:41 AM
If I come up on someone out for a "drive", I usually pull over and wait 10 minutes, then proceed again.

The Dude
11-10-2012, 04:02 AM
I remember driving from one spot to another in Region 8 years ago. We like to hike, so we sometimes still hunt one area in the AM and one in the PM. Mid-Day, we're driving from Frenchman's Creek to Dunno Lake, and there's a pick-up in front of us.
Yes, it was a Duallie by some odd coincidence :D

They had a flat in the back, and we wanted to pull up, let them know, and blow by, but they blocked us like a NASCAR driver in the final race of the season.
My buddies at that time were hotheads, and it was all I could do to clam them down and stop from starting something. When they finally pulled over, I saw they had a 10 year old boy in the truck, so it was much easier to convince my pals to avoid a dustup.
I leaned out, told them they had a flat, and mentioned that we were trying to pass through, and they interfered with a legal hunt. Also, that they don't own the road.
Nowadays, if I'm driving, I'm rough-scouting, so I simply pull over and let the roadhunters pass, then I have a coffee, smell the wild roses.
Whatevs, some people are allergic to boot leather.
They SURE have nice camo though! :D

sawmill
11-10-2012, 05:02 AM
You would be amazed how many times a truck has passed me and booked `er down the road and seconds later a deer walks out behind him.Got a few that way.

Nimrod
11-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Love road hunters! Game is very familiar with that pattern.
Easy to hunt the timber ridges or hidden back corners of blocks, nice and private.

steel_ram
11-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Litter, and that includes those little cigarette butts. They sure add up. Slobs in general, like the ones who leave tangled fishing line around, bottles etc. So much easier to pick that stuff up immediately than after it's been rolling around a while.

Glenny
11-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Last time I let someone pass me while road hunting... shot a Immature bull moose 10 mins later just in front of me. I swore at my self for days. I will never let that happen again.

This is exactly what happened to me once. I had just let several hunters pass.

horshur
11-10-2012, 10:18 AM
anti social behavior......don't stop and talk, race up the road.

some of these conflicts would go away if you all would talk and listen.

the reality is we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves.

BRvalley
11-10-2012, 10:33 AM
I have a close friend, he tailgates the shit out of people...I can't stand it...on the highway, on lease roads, doesn't matter, he's always right up their a**

he gets "cranky" and moody if he sees anybody driving up/out of or parking near an area we had planned to hunt and that attitude ruins the day....who cares? we live in canada, go find somewhere else and wake up earlier tomorrow

aside from tailgating, my biggest piss off is guys who baby their trucks and have decided to "park" and block access because the ruts looked too deep, or spinning out in the snow, or downed trees.....if you plan to drive that far off the beaten track, be prepared....carry a chain saw, tire chains, full size spare, etc.....don't park and block access at the first rough spot because you don't want to get scratches on your shiny, pretty truck....

Sofa King
11-10-2012, 10:53 AM
I only have one and that would be people who tailgate. It's easy to tell who they are because, well, they follow real close behind you when you're just out trying to have a quiet road hunt. Quite often they appear to be in a hurry and when you pull over to let them pass they just end up driving the same speed that you were originally going, but now slightly in front of you. So I don't bother letting them go by. I usually just roll down the window and glare back at them.

but the thing is, i wasn't tailgating them.
simply being behind a vehicle isn't tailgating.
and most wouldn't be tailgating anyway if the lead vehicle wouldn't be going so slow.

and i did pull over several times to let them get further ahead.
but all they did then was completely stop at the next opening to look for game.
and as i approached, they'd pull out and block again.
the point is, the areas were already disturbed by the traffic that was coming the other direction, so it doesn't even make sense.
like i said, for all they know, i could be a logger trying to get to my equipment or out of the bush.
or maybe i have an animal down, had to go get help, and am now trying to get to it before it gets dark.
there was nothing to imply i was hunting.(i don't drive with head-to-toe camo)

and yes, i indeed would shoot a big buck if one came out shortly after passing them.
but guess what, it isn't their buck.
a truck could just as easily come the other direction and shoot it right before they come around the corner as well.
it doesn't even make sense.

if someone wants to be lazy and road-hunt, fine, go ahead.
but that doesn't mean that the road and every animal near it is now theirs.
they are being idiots by thinking that nobody should be allowed to pass them.
just as if i hike into a remote area to sit over and watch a cut.
if another hunter should appear and walk through the cut, or choose to sit and watch it also, that's his right.
that cut doesn''t belong to me, and the animals that might walk into aren't mine to claim either.

coach
11-10-2012, 11:27 AM

This is where your argument loses all credibility. Who TF are you to criticize anyone else for their chosen method of hunting? There's plenty of seniors out there who have been hunting since long before you were born. Look around the local fish and game clubs - these are the guys that have been volunteering their time and effort for the betterment of wildlife and hunters for decades. There's a noticeable lack of younger people at most clubs. Lots of takers not many givers. Not sure why you have an issue with a couple of seniors enjoying their last few years of hunting. There's also lots if kids out there who are just cutting their teeth in the world of hunting. Not every one of them has the confidence or desire to hike all day but they are keen on the sport. One day, they may very well fit your mold of what a "true" hunter should be.

I'll list my big three later. Gonna go for a hunt with a buddy this afternoon. I do have to say the endless bashing of road hunters serves the hunting community absolutely no benefit. Without a doubt, selfish hunters are a big frustration of mine. Those that put themselves ahead of everyone else. Those that would block your access to an area you want to hunt. To categorize all road hunters as lazy is not, however, even close to taking about the true problem.

Walksalot
11-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Road hunters are very successful in filling their tags. If they want to drop a bunch of money into the gas tank then fill your boots. I prefer to hunt the back country so road hunters bother me not. There may come a time where I may be forced to be a road hunter.

People who litter should be dragged into the middle of the road and publicly flogged or at least given a decent tongue lashing.

People who sight in their rifles can do so where ever it is safe to do so. Who am I tell anyone where and when they should sight in their rifles. Who knows, they made have dropped it and want to make sure it is still accurate. Better than wounding an animal.

newhunterette
11-10-2012, 12:39 PM
but that doesn't mean that the road and every animal near it is now theirs.
they are being idiots by thinking that nobody should be allowed to pass them.
just as if i hike into a remote area to sit over and watch a cut.
if another hunter should appear and walk through the cut, or choose to sit and watch it also, that's his right.
that cut doesn''t belong to me, and the animals that might walk into aren't mine to claim either.

seriously, I can not believe you actually said this.......................I happen to know many hunter's who are disabled and their only means is to hunt from their vehicles, they have purchased their hunting license and tags just like everyone else, they have supported wildlife conservation just as much as you............how dare you assume road hunters are lazy, you have no clue as to the circumstances of their abilities...........although I am legally allowed to purchase a disabled hunting license, I haven't as yet because as long as I can do a little hiking into areas I will do it until my body says no more, then I will become a fulltime road hunter in hunting season................and dear Sir, I am not "LAZY"

as for blocking you from passing, perhaps if ya tried to flag them over and have a small word with them, they may just let you go on by.......but as much as you say you wanted to get up to "your area" and they weren't letting you go, perhaps it is the same for them..."the road" is their area.................a little kindness and courtesy always gets one ahead

as for my 3 pet peeves in the bush

1. litter of any kind (including the discharged shells from target shooters) if ya take it in, take it out

2. those who block main FSR roads with their vehicles so others can't get in to the side FSR's .... I had gone up a road and turned off into a side road that the area looked amazingly ripe for critters only to find later a pick up truck blocking the main road so I could not get out...I had to wait for this person to come back to their truck so I could leave which made me lose the rest of my day hunting

3. those people who think that just cause they have hunted an area for years that it belongs to them so "how dare you enter" mentality

goatdancer
11-10-2012, 01:29 PM
My biggest peeve is people who constantly bitch about all "those a-holes" that get in their way because they are more important than anyone else.
Crown land belongs to all. Unless you're on private land, there is no "my area". Get over it. If you choose to be pissed all day because you didn't
have your way your hunt will not be enjoyable. Life's to short for crap like that.

Sofa King
11-10-2012, 01:35 PM
i was singling out this particular truck.
they were two young guys who were just getting out for a drive before it got dark.
i said in the original post, that i don't hate road-hunters in general.
my dad became a road-hunter after he had a heart-attack.
read everything i've said before you read one line and over-react.
and i'll even drive a road if the weather is too shitty out or i only have a limited amount of time.

and there was nothing i could have done to get these guys to let me by, they made it very cler that wasn't going to happen.
you say that "i" should have tried some kindness and courtesy?
what did i do that wasn't?
and why would that not apply to them as well, and they not block me in the first place?

and then you turn around and list your peeve as a guy who blocked a road on you?
but maybe that was "'his road" as you put it.

seriously, I can not believe you actually said this.......................I happen to know many hunter's who are disabled and their only means is to hunt from their vehicles, they have purchased their hunting license and tags just like everyone else, they have supported wildlife conservation just as much as you............how dare you assume road hunters are lazy, you have no clue as to the circumstances of their abilities...........although I am legally allowed to purchase a disabled hunting license, I haven't as yet because as long as I can do a little hiking into areas I will do it until my body says no more, then I will become a fulltime road hunter in hunting season................and dear Sir, I am not "LAZY"

as for blocking you from passing, perhaps if ya tried to flag them over and have a small word with them, they may just let you go on by.......but as much as you say you wanted to get up to "your area" and they weren't letting you go, perhaps it is the same for them..."the road" is their area.................a little kindness and courtesy always gets one ahead

as for my 3 pet peeves in the bush

1. litter of any kind (including the discharged shells from target shooters) if ya take it in, take it out

2. those who block main FSR roads with their vehicles so others can't get in to the side FSR's .... I had gone up a road and turned off into a side road that the area looked amazingly ripe for critters only to find later a pick up truck blocking the main road so I could not get out...I had to wait for this person to come back to their truck so I could leave which made me lose the rest of my day hunting

3. those people who think that just cause they have hunted an area for years that it belongs to them so "how dare you enter" mentality

Sofa King
11-10-2012, 01:41 PM
My biggest peeve is people who constantly bitch about all "those a-holes" that get in their way because they are more important than anyone else.
Crown land belongs to all. Unless you're on private land, there is no "my area". Get over it. If you choose to be pissed all day because you didn't
have your way your hunt will not be enjoyable. Life's to short for crap like that.

holy shit.
i even said that nobody has the right to any areas.
do you people not read everything.
i didn't say "my area" as if it's mine and nobody else is allowed there.
it's a spot farther up the road off a side road where i've chased a couple bucks earlier.
it was "my destination", and i knew these guys were just going to drive through the main road and out the other end.
i simply wanted to get up to this other area to do a walk-through before dark.
where is the crime in that?
and i wouldn't have gave two-shits if there was another hunter there or ten.
i still would have done my walk.

Sofa King
11-10-2012, 01:46 PM
anti social behavior......don't stop and talk, race up the road.

some of these conflicts would go away if you all would talk and listen.

the reality is we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves.

i'm not out hunting to be social.
i'm out to hunt.
i don't go to the bush in search of entertaining conversation.

stop and talk?
i'm hunting, and so were they.
you see a guy sitting up at the top of a cut-block, do you hike on up there to sit and visit with him?
go to the coffee-shop or old-folks home if you're looking to be chatty.

BRvalley
11-10-2012, 01:48 PM
holy shit.
i even said that nobody has the right to any areas.
do you people not read everything.

maybe everybody has read everything, including your reply history from other threads...and they still remember the previous stupid that has fallen out of your mouth...

Sofa King
11-10-2012, 01:54 PM
This is where your argument loses all credibility. Who TF are you to criticize anyone else for their chosen method of hunting? There's plenty of seniors out there who have been hunting since long before you were born. Look around the local fish and game clubs - these are the guys that have been volunteering their time and effort for the betterment of wildlife and hunters for decades. There's a noticeable lack of younger people at most clubs. Lots of takers not many givers. Not sure why you have an issue with a couple of seniors enjoying their last few years of hunting. There's also lots if kids out there who are just cutting their teeth in the world of hunting. Not every one of them has the confidence or desire to hike all day but they are keen on the sport. One day, they may very well fit your mold of what a "true" hunter should be.

I'll list my big three later. Gonna go for a hunt with a buddy this afternoon. I do have to say the endless bashing of road hunters serves the hunting community absolutely no benefit. Without a doubt, selfish hunters are a big frustration of mine. Those that put themselves ahead of everyone else. Those that would block your access to an area you want to hunt. To categorize all road hunters as lazy is not, however, even close to taking about the true problem.

and if you read all my posts, you would see that your whole post is invalid.
i didn't label "all" roadhunters as lazy.
this was in reference to this particular truck, period.

road-hunting is as much a part of hunting as hiking is.
i totally acknowledge that.
but so is courtesy.
and one should not block anyone from anything.
if someone wants to putt along the road, enjoying the scenery and hoping an animal wanders by, all the power to them.
that's their right.
but they should allow "all" vehicles travelling either direction to pass them.

and again, you even list one of your peeves as people who block others.
well that's exactly what i encountered and was a little pissed about it.

horshur
11-10-2012, 02:09 PM
i'm out to hunt.

stop and talk?
you see a guy sitting up at the top of a cut-block, do you hike on up there to sit and visit with him?

I rest my case.....

newhunterette
11-10-2012, 02:13 PM
i was singling out this particular truck.
they were two young guys who were just getting out for a drive before it got dark.
i said in the original post, that i don't hate road-hunters in general.
my dad became a road-hunter after he had a heart-attack.
read everything i've said before you read one line and over-react.
and i'll even drive a road if the weather is too shitty out or i only have a limited amount of time.

and there was nothing i could have done to get these guys to let me by, they made it very cler that wasn't going to happen.
you say that "i" should have tried some kindness and courtesy?
what did i do that wasn't?
and why would that not apply to them as well, and they not block me in the first place?

and then you turn around and list your peeve as a guy who blocked a road on you?
but maybe that was "'his road" as you put it.

I said "those who block main FSR roads with their vehicles so others can't get in to the side FSR's" I was blocked in..not able to get out... I've seen people block off side roads of the main FSR .. this was somone blocking MAIN FSR..No One in, no one out...including loggers, property owners.... like blocking off your road so you can't go to your house ...BIG BIG BIG diference from blocking you so you cant drive passed them

anyways you have your opinions which is your right to have as do I and often things written in text do not always come across as easy to understand as face to face discussion

Happy Hunting grounds amd straight shootin........

tightgrouper
11-10-2012, 08:11 PM
1 litter
2 road blocking
3 litter

By the way I am a road hunter. I do it because it is how I see the most game. I have tried hiking with little success for a number of reasons such as ground to noisy, and lack of experience. I have no mentors. My best hiking is hunting roads in hurricanes(on the island) but it doesn't rain like that often enough.
I would suggest to those who dislike road hunters to take a road hunter hiking so that he/she can learn the ropes from a pro. Take them to your locations you like so that they can get the idea of suitable terrain. Allow them to hunt with you for a day so they can see how it is done in terms of how fast to walk when to be sneaky and when to just hurry up. I have a feeling you will not.

The elitism portrayed by some here(hikers) is pretty much identical to what is displayed by fly fishermen compared to regular fishers. Yes you posses special knowledge but at the end of the day, as you will discover with some aging, you are still just one man/woman, nothing more nothing less.

Weatherby Fan
11-10-2012, 08:27 PM
1-people that don't like or bitch about road hunters
2-people that don't like or bitch about road hunters wearing camo in their vehicles
3-litter
I'll think of 3 more while I sit in my camo watching wild TV :mrgreen:

I'm sure most every person that hunts does some road hunting.......even if it's on the way to where they hunt on foot ! I do !

coach
11-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Here's mine:

1 - people who shoot illegal animals and leave them in the forest to rot. 1b - the people who justify this behavior by blaming antler point regulations..

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_1748.jpg

2 - People who discard their animal carcasses in plain view of all users of FSR's. These people quickly turn non-hunters who support our lifestyle into anti-hunters.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_1044.jpg

3 - Litterers of all types. Especially those who feel the need to take electronic devices into our forest to use for target practice. WTF is the point of this?

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_3865.jpg

IMO - our pastime faces a lot more issues than one hunting style vs another, whether or not a person wears camo while road hunting, etc. Hopefully all of us will take a stand against these types of behaviors..

The Dude
11-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Good post, Coach. That shit makes my blood boil.

Mine are:
People that don't take responsibility for their actions, be it shooting an illegal animal (self report), taking trash to the woods (Don't be such a lazt arsehole, take it to the recycling centre or dump, you lazy prick)

People that have NO intention of sitting in a blind or treestand, NONE of still hunting or stalking, yet wear $400 worth of camo to make a fashion statement at Timmies at 04:20

ANDDD>>>>

The Dutch

cameron0518
11-10-2012, 10:02 PM
My number one peave is people talking out their asses like they know it all, especially when talking to passer by's. Litter as well. Some people definitely do these things more than others

Sil3n2
11-10-2012, 11:03 PM
1 - littering, no respect for our forests.
2 - this may sound weird, but guys that won't give the old wave when driving by. Something I was taught as a young hunter. Today I passed by many road hunters and gave a courtesy wave and in return got a glare or a stare down. Just seems disrespectful to me as fellow hunters.
3 - blocking roads in/out to open hunting areas. About a month ago I drove into a spot and parked off to the side then walked into an area and watched some deer for a while, when we left the area a couple were walking in on the road we came in on. (Only way in or out) Once they noticed us they turned away in anger and walked back in the way they came from and around the corner they had parked their truck blocking anyone from getting in or out then proceeded to burn out and speed off. My buddy and I just shook our heads. If we didn't run into them we would have been stuck there until they returned to their truck.

NitwiT
11-10-2012, 11:55 PM
1. litter
2. as above, but specifically beer cans
3. persons with the need to verbally prove their hunting proficiency (I DON'T GIVE A SHIT HOW MUCH GEAR YOU'VE TAKEN, YOU'RE STILL A TOOL)

My list of three irritants in general:

1. not having confidence in what I'm doing
2. not having confidence in the area I'm in
3. not having a mentor

I agree with Tightgrouper, certain people are ready to walk all over those who "roadhunt", or those whole "steal" blinds. I am both of the before mentioned persons. I do everything I can to get along with my fellow man, and give due credit where it is deserved. As with Tightgrouper, I'm figuring this out on my own, hiking gets me no where except frustrated, and every big game animal I have shot to date has been from a road, which amounts to one bear, and two mule deer.

"I would suggest to those who dislike road hunters to take a road hunter hiking so that he/she can learn the ropes from a pro. Take them to your locations you like so that they can get the idea of suitable terrain. Allow them to hunt with you for a day so they can see how it is done in terms of how fast to walk when to be sneaky and when to just hurry up. I have a feeling you will not."

Those well established in their ways, maybe should take some time from hunting for the epic omg holy shit trophy buck, and take a rookie hunter along for a day. I disagree with the part that is in bold, but I would suggest taking them to terrain that you like, in areas you haven't hunted, and show them how to move, how to scout, and how to progress. As for me, I have been so frustrated in attempts to find suitable terrain to hunt, and ESPECIALLY in attempts to engage with a "good" hunter, that I will drive, and shoot two points or spikers off of roads, until some magical day that I don't see coming anytime soon, I will have confidence that a 5-10 km hike into the bush will increase my odds of getting a buck OVER the odds that I have achieved by hunting road. (Which btw, is pretty good).

NitwiT

tightgrouper
11-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Nice post Nitwit.

I to get very frustrated hiking for game. The animals I see are looking at me or running. When I was writing the part you put in bold I was being sarcastic. My point about that is if everybody hiked and hunted there would be more guys in the bush. I sure wouldn't want to run into other hunters 5 or 10 km in. If I did I sure would not be upset about it and maybe enjoy a short chat if they were close and if not wave polity and go my way.
It is not a dislike of mine but I do find myself being jealous of those who have hunting mentors. I have none. My circle of hunter buddies all took up hunting but none of their family hunts. none of us really have any ins. I just finished a moose trip where I did not see a track or a poop from a moose. Then I have friends that have been hunting the same moose hunts for years and get there animals most of the time but I am just not in their "hunting circle" which is fine. It is just very hard to drop 2 weeks of time and 1500$ to a hunt where there are no animals. I do not know if I will be doing that again.
So those guys out there who are getting there moose, elk and deer with the help of family and friends with years of experience, be thankful for what you have because there are many who do not have the privilege.
Never the less I have enjoyed my hunting to date. It is a great pastime that has brought me some great moments in my life.

Frango
11-11-2012, 10:41 AM
i'm out to hunt.

stop and talk?
Stop and talking to people has proved very usefull to me over the years.I can even give an example.This year I was heading to a cut block on my quad when I came upon a guy walking down the road.He was not carrying a rifle.Someone working I assumed.I stopped and spoke to him.I mainly wanted to know if he was alone or where there more people in the area that I should know about.He told me that they were a crew of 4 and would be leaving in about 20 min.then he said are you here for the bull moose thats around .Yes indeed. When I saw them leave I walked down the road about 200 m and started to call.20 min later I had a nice bull moose down..Talking to people payed off as it has before.Perhaps you should try it it might make you a better hunter.

horshur
11-11-2012, 10:55 AM
1. litter
2. as above, but specifically beer cans
3. persons with the need to verbally prove their hunting proficiency (I DON'T GIVE A SHIT HOW MUCH GEAR YOU'VE TAKEN, YOU'RE STILL A TOOL)

My list of three irritants in general:

1. not having confidence in what I'm doing
2. not having confidence in the area I'm in
3. not having a mentor

I agree with Tightgrouper, certain people are ready to walk all over those who "roadhunt", or those whole "steal" blinds. I am both of the before mentioned persons. I do everything I can to get along with my fellow man, and give due credit where it is deserved. As with Tightgrouper, I'm figuring this out on my own, hiking gets me no where except frustrated, and every big game animal I have shot to date has been from a road, which amounts to one bear, and two mule deer.

"I would suggest to those who dislike road hunters to take a road hunter hiking so that he/she can learn the ropes from a pro. Take them to your locations you like so that they can get the idea of suitable terrain. Allow them to hunt with you for a day so they can see how it is done in terms of how fast to walk when to be sneaky and when to just hurry up. I have a feeling you will not."

Those well established in their ways, maybe should take some time from hunting for the epic omg holy shit trophy buck, and take a rookie hunter along for a day. I disagree with the part that is in bold, but I would suggest taking them to terrain that you like, in areas you haven't hunted, and show them how to move, how to scout, and how to progress. As for me, I have been so frustrated in attempts to find suitable terrain to hunt, and ESPECIALLY in attempts to engage with a "good" hunter, that I will drive, and shoot two points or spikers off of roads, until some magical day that I don't see coming anytime soon, I will have confidence that a 5-10 km hike into the bush will increase my odds of getting a buck OVER the odds that I have achieved by hunting road. (Which btw, is pretty good).

NitwiT

Nit wit------I think you would double your odds by looking past the BS about still hunting and just walk into the back end or corners of logging blocks to have a look....a 10-20 minute jaunt be mindfull of the wind and only walk it when it is favorable..only do this in the blocks near where you have had some luck in the past and there is sign on the roads. You just want to peek into areas that cannot be seen from the road. You could do 3-4 looks in a morning. As well, walking a ridgeline above where you have spotted game in the past can be very productive if it is favorable to walk kinda quiet like...don't bother if it is thick and nasty or noisy. The other thing is to trust the sign...if you don't have fresh sign don't bother hunting..move where there is sign and hunt sign...generaly the sign will give a better clue how to hunt the area.. don't sacrifice prime time doing this if you are not confident, walk into the back end of a block after your morning hunt and check it for sign---tracks, shit,sniped browse,beds.. make sure you bring your gun along!

tightgrouper
11-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Nit wit------I think you would double your odds by looking past the BS about still hunting and just walk into the back end or corners of logging blocks to have a look....a 10-20 minute jaunt be mindfull of the wind and only walk it when it is favorable..only do this in the blocks near where you have had some luck in the past and there is sign on the roads. You just want to peek into areas that cannot be seen from the road. You could do 3-4 looks in a morning. As well, walking a ridgeline above where you have spotted game in the past can be very productive if it is favorable to walk kinda quiet like...don't bother if it is thick and nasty or noisy. The other thing is to trust the sign...if you don't have fresh sign don't bother hunting..move where there is sign and hunt sign...generaly the sign will give a better clue how to hunt the area.. don't sacrifice prime time doing this if you are not confident, walk into the back end of a block after your morning hunt and check it for sign---tracks, shit,sniped browse,beds.. make sure you bring your gun along!

I do this if the setup is right. does it work for moose?

steel_ram
11-11-2012, 11:34 AM
People who whine about bowhunting seasons, flyfishing only area's, no vehicle areas, etc etc. like they've been descriminated on.

. . . and litter bugs.

22ruger
11-11-2012, 12:28 PM
1-litter bugs,just picked up garbage bag full of shells and garbage in Chilliwack area(take garbage bags with me and take out more than I bring in)
2-kids road hunting out of the back of pickup trucks,three years in a row ran into this,not only dangerous to me but to the kids as well as they can fall out
3-people sighting in guns at their campsite,then stumped why there is no game around

Jed
11-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Ahh silence from the O.P. ...... How's that foot tasting?

curt
11-11-2012, 04:30 PM

Well said coach you couldnt be more bang on the problem is ignorant selfish people regardless of hunting styles thats the problem.

bugler
11-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm with the OP on this one. Wouldn't make my top 3 but I am annoyed with anyone who won't pull over and let someone who is obviously travelling faster than they are go by. This includes on the highway when they are going 20k below the limit. Why do they want someone riding their butts? Let me get to my destination and I will get out of your rearview.

1 Littering
2 Wasteful slobs, animals shot and left or not looked for after a shot.
3 Those who consider shooting livestock as "hunting".