PDA

View Full Version : SPOT Customer Service/ Warranty Service

MB_Boy
11-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Just thought I would let you know about some great service from SPOT for the unit I had bought for my Dad last year at Xmas. So many reviews seem to be going sideways as of late and thought a "positive" one may be a refreshing change.:mrgreen:

Just let me preference that my Dad is a bit "technically challenged".

My Dad swore that he had set up his SPOT correctly and added in emails or phone numbers correctly, received an "okay" message with respect to set up and that it was ready to go; or however you're notified via email? I had asked him since Xmas last year if he had set up and he kept saying "I'll get around to it" and finally did in August.

Anyhow he has been out in the bush a bunch this fall in MB including a fly in hunt and kept trying to send "okay" messages or "moose down" to no avail for us getting any messages on our end; MANY failed attempts with him getting increasingly frustrated. I just chalked it up to him having screwed up the set up and I'd have to configure it for him when I am there at Xmas. I finally told him to call SPOT as he swore he did everything right and he did call them this past Monday.

I have to applaud their service as they did some troubleshooting over the phone/connectivity tests and determined it wasn't my Dad's lack of computer/tech ability but in fact the unit did have a problem with it. Their resolution and service was awesome.....he got off the phone midday on Monday with their tech support and had a brand new unit shipped out to him and in his hands by midday Tuesday. To my understanding he had it configured by late day on Tuesday and all seems to be working fine.

Just thought that was great customer service and worth sharing in case anyone else runs into issues with their SPOT unit.

Philcott
11-08-2012, 02:38 PM
One thing that I would suggest to anyone with a SPOT unit is to do as the instructions say and send yourself a test message before each trip just to make sure it's all working as it should. Also get familiar with the unit before heading out to the woods. Since I got over my initial hiccups my SPOT has worked flawlessly.

I'm glad your Dad has it working for him now.