PDA

View Full Version : A curious question

MountainMan#1
11-07-2012, 05:37 PM
How many of you actually go on the pursuit of cougars? Dont seem to see many threads on people getting cougar so just thought I'd ask. Also, what can you do with the meat?

hunter1993ap
11-07-2012, 05:50 PM
i was thinking about trying this winter but havnt before. would be chalenging but if you tried you might be able to get one. ive heard they come to calls.

The Silent Stalker
11-07-2012, 06:02 PM
I just started really trying two years ago. It's fun going out in the winter, last year I had a big tom on the road in front of truck at 25yrds. It did not move until I tried to slide out of the truck for a shot. I stoppped, hit the window button, put it in park, opened the door, grabbed my rifle, pointed it out the door and loaded two into it, cycled a cartridge, and it had not moved. As soon as I started to slide my ass out the door to clear the truck it took two steps and was gone off the road, down hill behind a tree. Believe me, the last thing I was going to do was go running up to the tree, I was almost in shock. Now, I had planned on stepping out and with my door open, was going to shoot through the opening between the door and cab. I was in no way going to shoot from within my truck or against it, I am very thoughtful of this when I get a sudden chance at an animal. My truck was still running, so I moved the door quietly, and threw out a few doe bleats, nothing. After five minutes I was walking up the road and looking off the side. I saw 4 cougars, 2 bobcats last year, and this year I have seen a lynx and lots of cougar and bobcat tracks. I can't wait to get one in my sights! It's also a good excuse to buy more gear, snow camo shit, and go out and play in the middle of January through June in most places.

MountainMan#1
11-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Interesting to hear. I would like to go out just to experience the hunt. If i were to hunt them I think I'd want it to be done well with dogs etc.

Ron.C
11-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Agree, used of dogs is pretty much required if you want any real chance at being successful without crap loads of luck on your side. But I've tried predator calling specifically for cougars several time the last few years after deer season has ended. Any excuse to get into the bush. It's only ever resulted in calling in bears. But I have called in a cat a few years back by chance while elk hunting and convinced it works. I just think the big cats are much more cautious then other predators and don't often reveal there presence while on the prowl.

butthead
11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
every time i see one in a skirt and dark nylons.
just cant hang them on the wall

pazura19
11-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Hey everyone I didn't want to start a new thread on a random question so hopefully someone can answer it on here.
does anyone know the job is called when you see people cleaning up wildlife that's been hit by cars and trucks??
thanks
-Christian

Sofa King
11-07-2012, 07:35 PM
every time i see one in a skirt and dark nylons.
just cant hang them on the wall

you can, but that would be considered a little psycho.

goatdancer
11-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Cougar meat is very good. Have eaten it on several occasions.

schilly101
11-07-2012, 07:41 PM
ive hunted cougar with hounds. ive shot 3 myself including one that was top 50 in B.C. at the time and have been on many hunts. the meat is ok in peperonie and sausage if mixed with pork. i cant say id go out of my way for the meat though.

Doe Eyes
11-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Got a cougar last month on Vancouver Island...it found me. (Van. Island Forum)
Taxidermist has the cat, we have the meat but havent tried it yet...suppose to be really good though.

buck nash
11-07-2012, 07:52 PM
I have had tags for cougar, lynx and bobcat for the last few years but have yet to cut one. I have also spent many years in the bush working and playing and have only seen 2 cougars and 1 lynx. Once was in season but I had no tag, once out of season and the lynx was gone before I could raise my rifle.

For sure the chances of getting one without dogs are remote but I will always have a tag just in case, same goes for finding that elusive immy moose.

I've been working in the woods and gone back to check my work to find cat tracks on top of tracks I laid down one or two minutes prior. I've also inadvertently scared a cat off a fresh deer kill while doing bush work so I know they're out there. It's just a matter of time til I get lucky.

The other reson I always carry a cougar or bear tag is if I catch one stalking me or my kid I won't have to explain to a co why I shot it.

MountainMan#1
11-07-2012, 07:56 PM
I used to think they aren't an animal I'd like to kill. But now starting to see more and more it gets me interested, kind of changing my thought about getting one.