PDA

View Full Version : Treestands in cranbrook in dec

allan
11-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Since I've had to work all oct nov this year. My last ditch idea is to hunt in cranbrook for wt in dec. can anyone shed some light on conditions weather and if it's even worth the drive? I'm dying to go one more time this year, and since I've had to miss my draw for nov antler less I'm just looking for ideas. I just want to arrow my first deer.
Please and thanks

Kirby
11-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Lots of deer if you get in the right locations. Can be cold but dress right and its a great hunt.

J_T
11-07-2012, 07:44 PM
We sit from dawn for about 3 hours at -30. But it isn't always that cold. Last year was warm. With 10 guys in camp we take 10 to 12 deer. It's absolutely the best and most relaxing hunt you can experience. What will you be camping in? Living / camping
accommodations makes the difference.

allan
11-07-2012, 08:40 PM
We sit from dawn for about 3 hours at -30. But it isn't always that cold. Last year was warm. With 10 guys in camp we take 10 to 12 deer. It's absolutely the best and most relaxing hunt you can experience. What will you be camping in? Living / camping
accommodations makes the difference.

None of my friends bow hunt, i'll be hunting alone but will be staying with a friend in cranbrook if I go.

J_T
11-08-2012, 05:25 AM
During a short period of time I lived in Vancouver I did the same. Drove up, stayed with friends and hunted on my own. Was great. What period of time are you thinking of coming up?

allan
11-08-2012, 08:40 AM
If I can, drive up dec 4 head home no later than the 9th. Hunting without a buddy makes my schedule somewhat flexible. My work schedule is sometimes not, it really depends if one of my employees makes it back to work by then.
Im super pumped to go somewhere as I've ordered some new winter hunting clothes and plan on being warm this time!

J_T
11-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Sent you a PM.

Sofa King
11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
that ain't huntin'.
that's sittin'.

allan
11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
that ain't huntin'.
that's sittin'.
I enjoy spot and stalk, still hunting, stand hunting ect it doesn't matter to me. What's important to me is that I get out there and enjoy myself. If you could elaborate a little more on a better way to late season bow hunt white tail, I'd love to hear it!
Thanks

rocksteady
11-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I enjoy spot and stalk, still hunting, stand hunting ect it doesn't matter to me. What's important to me is that I get out there and enjoy myself. If you could elaborate a little more on a better way to late season bow hunt white tail, I'd love to hear it!
Thanks

Dont worry about justifying to others the way you plan to hunt....

You are hunting..sitting in a tree with a gun or bow with a valid tag in an open season is hunting... Doing the same in a tree wihtout a weapon is sitting...

J_T
11-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Allan, if you want to see animals, walk. If you want to kill animals, sit. A treestand is a killing machine. If it wasn't so, we wouldn't be using them here. A treestand gives you the best opportunity to be close and ensure a quick, clean and controlled kill.

Mikey Rafiki
11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Weather could be all over the map. I would go blind and bait pile. Just stay away from my grain fed does.

greybark
11-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey Allen , with treestanding you control the ground , without the Deer control the ground your pick .
If your trip to Cranbrook works out and I hope it does (J-T is a great contact) . If it does`t PM me (Chilliwack ) as I will be going to Rock Ck for the archery WT season .
Cheers

IronNoggin
11-08-2012, 07:41 PM
that ain't huntin'.
that's sittin'.

Bullshit!

Allan, if you want to see animals, walk. If you want to kill animals, sit. A treestand is a killing machine. If it wasn't so, we wouldn't be using them here. A treestand gives you the best opportunity to be close and ensure a quick, clean and controlled kill.

BINGO!

Whitetails have some of the Best early Distant Early Warning Systems going!
Grew up hunting them in Saskatchewan, and have successfully guided for them in Alberta for several decades.
We use grounds blinds (can be good) and tree stands (Better!) almost exclusively on our Trophy Hunts. For a Reason, they are simply The Most Effective HUNTING Technique there is to Consistently take mature, experienced whitetail bucks. Bar NONE!

Enjoy your time in Cranbrook. There are some Fine whitetails over that way. If you can hook up with an Experienced Local (which J_T obviously is) that can help. Take the treestand - it really does present your best odds for a successful HUNT! :)

Cheers,
Nog

Ambush
11-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Allan, if you want to see animals, walk. If you want to kill animals, sit.

So true! Years ago, I got tired of seeing moose looking over their butts at me, just before they took off. Tree stands and spotting scopes made hunting the immy a gimmy. I have no problem sitting in a stand for a full day. I hike for goats and sheep, I sit for deer and moose.

huntwriter
11-08-2012, 10:24 PM
that ain't huntin'.
that's sittin'.

Who cares what you call it. Quit putting others down for the way they hunt, you're not the measure by which hunting is defined.

I wish you the best of luck Allan and hope you get your first deer with a bow. :) It's a thrill that will stay with you for ever.

GoatGuy
11-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Some good advice here.

Two ways to measure success:

1) I saw 10 running deer, none offered a shot
2) I could have killed 3 deer

Best way to harvest WT's is sitting, whether on the ground or in a tree, best way to see them is walking.

Each to their own.

Kody94
11-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Anyone that thinks sitting in a treestand is easy, especially at -20 or colder, probably hasn't tried it.

For most of us, its a real test of patience. Pretty rewarding when it works though.

1980skywalker
11-11-2012, 09:32 PM
As a relatively new hunter I am constantly trying to improve my methods and techniques for effectively hunting. I am finding that the hardest part of hunting is the patience it takes to move slower, or to stop for extended periods of time. For that reason I think that to sit and hunt really is a much higher level of hunting than walking, quading, driving. I am striving to get better at still hunting, pretty weird that some would not consider sitting to be hunting?

Onesock
11-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Go with JT. He will put you on deer.

Above the Treeline
10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
I will be bow hunting that season as well. I live in the Cranbrook area and would be willing to help you out if needed. I do not have the experience that JT has but could suggest a few locations. I will be setting up a blind location this week which should produce. Good luck!

aggiehunter
10-27-2013, 11:02 AM
If your going in Dec. the Rock Creek migration should have started...Greybark see's lots of deer he's just picky that's all...Rock Creek is also 6 hours closer and three mountain pass's easier...both good tho.

E.V.B.H.
10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
As stated pop up ground blinds are an excellent choice for this season. Easier to setup and move if necessary, and I find in the winter weather they are warmer and more comfortable allowing you to sit longer. Everyone has a different opinion on baiting but a ten dollar 50 lb bag of oats will almost guarantee some action. This also allows you to be selective and feed a lot of deer at the same time.

yahk stalker
11-12-2013, 12:05 PM
You might want to try putting your stand in the apple tree in my back yard, they like to bed down in the vacant lot next door. :)

Above the Treeline
12-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Did you have any luck with JT?