PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with a coyote or wolf after you shoot it?

kebes
11-06-2012, 06:01 PM
What do you do with a yote or a wolf once it's on the ground?

The Dawg
11-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Shoot the others hanging around !

Mr. Dean
11-06-2012, 06:13 PM
This topic has been beat to DEATH recently.
Lottsa history using the search engine in the upper right. :wink:

boxhitch
11-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Skin it. Its easier when they are dead.

kebes
11-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I've seen lots of threads talking about wolf/coyote overpopulation, I haven't seen much of anything talking about what the options are once you've put them on the ground. If I'm gonna start shooting them I want to know how to deal with them responsibly. Is it unethical to take the skin home and throw it out (if they're so overpopulated that it's affecting ungulate numbers)? How much does it cost to get it tanned? Are there people who will take/buy the skins readily available...if so how do you find them?

Ketchika
11-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Sodomize it

boxhitch
11-06-2012, 06:36 PM
contact a local trapper or taxidermist, they may take it off your hands, but there is no shortage of them so don't expect much money out of it.
Tanning will run about $200, or do it yourself at home. how crafty are you ?

Ethics ? what difference does it make to you what someone else thinks ?

kebes
11-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Makes a big difference. I like doing things the right way. I don't care if I don't get money out of them, I just want to know I'm not going to be stuck with pelts I have nothing to do with. Giving them to a taxidermist is fine by me if they'll take them!

The Dawg
11-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Sodomize it

Weve missed you :)

Sofa King
11-06-2012, 07:07 PM
this is why i haven't shot any i've seen.
i'm not killing something that i won't utilize in some way.

who are we to suggest that the predators should be wiped out.
it's nature, and it's always found a way to balance things out.
man does way more harm than nature.

anyone who kills something and leaves it to rot is a piece of shite.

Gateholio
11-06-2012, 07:14 PM

Humans are part of nature, and it's natural for all predators to eliminate the competition whenever possible.

.330 Dakota
11-06-2012, 07:37 PM
shoot a yote save a fawn

MOOSE MILK
11-06-2012, 07:53 PM

No wonder you have over 9,050 posts, why don't you just pass on comments like this and stop waisting our time?

gcreek
11-06-2012, 07:55 PM
If they are not tore up too bad, rubbed, or a summer hide, I might skin them. Otherwise, they are target practice. Every one less is less threat to my stock.

cameron0518
11-06-2012, 08:05 PM
lol, good call.
No wonder you have over 9,050 posts, why don't you just pass on comments like this and stop waisting our time?

cameron0518
11-06-2012, 08:05 PM
in your opinion

decker9
11-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Most taxidermist's will take a wolf if the furs prime and not all shot up, prolly not a coyote tho. Doubt many trappers would be into taking shot yotes either. Iv trapped for years, and not much $$ in yotes for the work that goes into them, especially with holes.
If you were to get a stretcher and skin/board them properly, there might be a trapper out there that would take them off your hands, maybe even pay ya, if know ones lookin!

For the record, I agree with you and duallie, if your not gonna use it, dont shoot it!!

.300WSMImpact!
11-06-2012, 08:19 PM

wow I wish I could judge people like you, in my experience if you call people names the names usually apply to you

darrin6109
11-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I totally agree!

albravo2
11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm new to this site but I am amazed at how many people are taking cheap shots at each other. Not the kind of hunting I expected.

I'm generally of the 'don't kill it if you don't intend to use it' but I also get that a rancher (or maybe a keen ungulate hunter) doesn't feel obligated to do anything with a dead predator.

So who do I flame?

albravo2
11-06-2012, 08:45 PM
My previous whine notwithstanding, I really appreciate the intent of this thread. I'm a new hunter and this question means something to me. A month ago while hunting down in the Princeton area I had a coyote in my reticle but decided not to pull the trigger because I had no idea what to do with the damn thing.

Since I started reading this site a couple weeks ago I understand more clearly that reducing the predator population has a beneficial influence on the ungulates that I'm trying (as yet completely unsuccessfully) to hunt but does that mean killing them just to kill them?

As I see it, ethics are the rules that a group of like-minded people agree to follow. Since I'm a new hunter I'm trying to understand how experienced hunters view the ethics of various situations.

Philosophy aside, I'd really appreciate some practical advice as to what to do with a dead coyote or wolf. I've been told wolves are much harder to skin than a coyote. I saw a youtube clip on skinning coyotes that made it seem not bad. I also found a site called huntwolves.com that has good info.

mbway
11-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I take tail and skull for sure. If the hide is good i give it to a trapper. Tails go on my garage wall, skulls in my display cabinet.

proguide66
11-06-2012, 09:21 PM

If you think nature doesn't include humans you should turn in your license. This mentality drives me nuts hearing it from antis let alone a fellow f ing 'hunter' !
Human predators wacking other natural predators is as natural as its going to get. Wolves ect will peak'humans, cats and other humans will kill em.
I honestly don't know how many frikkin wolves I have killed, but it's a piss load! But I DO know I have fed a lot of bull trout with em! And they just keep comin back!

RiverOtter
11-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Pushing up grass for deer, elk and moose is a pretty darn good "use" of a wolf/coyote........IMHO

wos
11-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Page 18 #35 under additional hunting method restrictions states of grizzly bear cougar or other furberring animal other than a black bear the hide must be removed to the persons normal place of dwelling. So if you shoot one make sure your knife is handy.

Gateholio
11-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Philosophy aside, I'd really appreciate some practical advice as to what to do with a dead coyote or wolf. I've been told wolves are much harder to skin than a coyote. I saw a youtube clip on skinning coyotes that made it seem not bad. I also found a site called huntwolves.com that has good info.

Here is some practical advice:

If you see a wolf or coyote in an open season, shoot it. Most areas have very long and generous seasons for wolf and coyotes. Most of these areas have biologists which encourage hunters to take as much advantage of these seasons as possible. That is the reason the season and bag limits are generous.

It's legal and it's encouraged to shoot these predators, which takes care of any ethics issue you may encounter unless you have a personal bias against killing animals that you don't intend to eat. Although I find even people that state this still tend to be fine with killing rodents, insects, and anything that is bothering their possessions- but that's another debate.

Once it's dead, you have some decisions to make. If the pelt is in prime condition, both wolves and coyotes can make fine trophies, so you may want to skin them or take them to taxidermist to have it skinned/mounted. You could also find a trapper that may or may not want it.

If the pelt is not in prime condition, then there isn't much you can do with them. By law, you must remove it to your dwelling, but it's legal to bring it home then place it straight in the trash. Some hunters omit this part for poor quality pelts for practical reasons, but it's still the law.

The problem is that often you don't know the condition of the pelt until you walk up to it. So most hunters shoot (as it's legal and ethical to do so) hen determine the quality of the pelt, then go from there.

kebes
11-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks Gatehouse, very helpful post!

Foxtail
11-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Kill em if you get the chance. I hunt every year on a friends 4000 acre cattle ranch just south of Quesnel. Pretty big wolf problem. Last year in 6 days I had a hard time finding deer(had a LEH doe tag) finally got one on the last day. In the last year 6 wolves have been killed on his ranch and a whopping 36 wolves total in the area. This year we saw about 100 deer a day, and almost every doe had 2 fawns. On a side note I blew 2 stalks on a couple of beautiful bucks.

.330 Dakota
11-06-2012, 11:27 PM
If you think nature doesn't include humans you should turn in your license. This mentality drives me nuts hearing it from antis let alone a fellow f ing 'hunter' !
Human predators wacking other natural predators is as natural as its going to get. Wolves ect will peak'humans, cats and other humans will kill em.
I honestly don't know how many frikkin wolves I have killed, but it's a piss load! But I DO know I have fed a lot of bull trout with em! And they just keep comin back!

Interesting comment there ProGuide,,,I was thinking he was anti in a hunters clothing when I read that,,some people talk before they think,,,,and those of you that think you know everything are very annoying to those of us that do...lol

albravo2
11-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks Gatehouse, that is exactly the type of practical advice I was looking for. I might have to go back up to Placer Mountain and take care of some unfinished business.

604redneck
11-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Skin it. Its easier when they are dead.

LOL! I beg to differ.

lovemywinchester
11-07-2012, 10:57 PM
This thread is deteriorating so fast it feels like February.

I'm with you Mr. Dean. The search function should be used way more.

Makes a big difference. I like doing things the right way. I don't care if I don't get money out of them, I just want to know I'm not going to be stuck with pelts I have nothing to do with. Giving them to a taxidermist is fine by me if they'll take them!

Coyote or wolf pelts are very nice to have around the house. They should be displayed like any other hunting trophy imo. $150 will get your coyote tanned and if you have some talent you can make a nice blanket. Or you can buy one for $2500
http://www.thebay.com/eng/hbccollections-blankets-Coyote_Fur_Throw_Blanket-thebay/224146

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/coyoteblanket.jpg

Mr. Dean
11-08-2012, 01:23 AM

Sensitive, Moosey?

kebes asked a valid question.
I had little time to offer when I saw it.

I gave HIM the best I could, at that given time.

Please feel free to contribute SOMETHING of relevance, to the topic......

Mr. Dean
11-08-2012, 01:43 AM
Perrrrrrrrrfect use of a dead doggy.
Is it yours?

This thread is deteriorating so fast it feels like February.

I'm with you Mr. Dean. The search function should be used way more.

Coyote or wolf pelts are very nice to have around the house. They should be displayed like any other hunting trophy imo. $150 will get your coyote tanned and if you have some talent you can make a nice blanket. Or you can buy one for $2500
http://www.thebay.com/eng/hbccollections-blankets-Coyote_Fur_Throw_Blanket-thebay/224146

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/coyoteblanket.jpg

Mr. Dean
11-08-2012, 03:56 AM
Personally, if I'm out deer hunting, I hunt deer.
The Deep of Winter is best for fur-hunting.....

And I want quality furs!
So if anyone has some that need a good home, PM me.

bowhunterbruce
11-08-2012, 05:19 AM
i talked to the edmonton furriers just yeasterday and coyotes tanned,(if already properly fleshed, lips, eyes, ears properly turned) is only $100.00 bucks to get done, a wolf is $250.00.
not to bad of a price if you ask me
bhb

The Dude
11-08-2012, 08:12 AM
This is one more reason why we should have a predator forum with sub-categories here.
This is one main question that keeps coming up that deserves a dedicated sub-group to Pred hunting, along with methods, trapping license, etc.

11-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Good thing we have lot's of self-righteous 'ethical hunters' who keep deer, moose, and elk populations down because they're not willing to toss a mutts hide in the trash...

skibum
11-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Good thing we have lot's of self-righteous 'ethical hunters' who keep deer, moose, and elk populations down because they're not willing to toss a mutts hide in the trash...

I agree - how many guys are willing to give up a tag because did not see the purpose of popping a dog?

I am not for things like displaying 60 yotes on the side of a barn wall (not going to cry over it), but am not too sensitive to popping one or two.

The Dude
11-08-2012, 10:03 AM
I think the problem is that a lot of people simply don't know the "Why" of killing one, or the "What" to do with it.
We can help! :D

Mr. Dean
11-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Until I see an official ruling, I will not pop-a-pup with no intentions of utilizing it (leaving it behind or for the sole purpose of "pred mgnt"), unless I'm hunting on a ranch or farm for crop protection.

Other than that, I have nothing against it.
If MoE wants us as a tool, they need to listen to the biologist's and make some changes in the synopsis.

I've been bitten in the ass (ouch) for less, waaay less.

Now if you guys will excuse me, there's a black, crafty squirrel hanging in one of my trees that's in need of Tough Love/Management. :wink:

Crap!
There goes a crow too!!!!!

Gateholio
11-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Most regions have had bag limits and/or seasons for canines extended. The bios want us to shoot as many as we can.

What I doubt we will see is a relaxation of the fur retrieval rules, which are still in place for political reasons, not for conservation issues.

Mr. Dean
11-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Most regions have had bag limits and/or seasons for canines extended. The bios want us to shoot as many as we can.

What I doubt we will see is a relaxation of the fur retrieval rules, which are still in place for political reasons, not for conservation issues.

You're reading inbetween the lines, Gates.
But it's ok, I also get the same reading when I read it too. :razz:

But until that *distinct line* in the sand is removed (fur retrieval), I won't cross it.
Just isn't a game I'm willing to play.

IMO, it's just giving leverage to people that could/will use it against me.

Shit..... There goes ANOTHER squirrel. :lol:
Man!! Are they active today, or what???

Wild one
11-08-2012, 12:28 PM
You can sell the hides under your hunting license but I don't know the whole process. If you skin, flesh, and stretch them on a proper stretching board you can ship them to Nafa. Nafa is where a lot of trappers ship there hides. Don't expect a lot of money for them and poor quality hides don't sell well. Good colour, prime, well put up hides can give you a few extra $ in your pocket but it takes some work to get it.

This is a good option for winter hides but early flat fur not so much.

ElliotMoose
11-08-2012, 12:42 PM
shit isnt spelled with an 'e' bud ;)

sky-gunner
11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Are there any known cases of a legal hunter shooting a yote and leaving it in the bush fur and all, and being fined/ prosecuted, or penalized in some form?

reach
11-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Are there any known cases of a legal hunter shooting a yote and leaving it in the bush fur and all, and being fined/ prosecuted, or penalized in some form?
If they did that, they wouldn't be a "legal hunter" then, would they? :D

Gateholio
11-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm sure it's happened at one point to someone.

sky-gunner
11-08-2012, 01:41 PM
If they did that, they wouldn't be a "legal hunter" then, would they? :D
What I meant by legal was they were licensed. I'm just curious, I can see why the fur removal thing could be political. So was more so curious as if there are any cases that were know and set a precedence. Haven't shot any, but would love to. Just have zero use for the fur.

sky-gunner
11-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm sure it's happened at one point to someone.
Your probably right. Was just wondering if its treated the same way as wasting of game meat. Like I said above until the fur part is changed, sadly I won't be shooting any yotes as I have no use for the fur.

brazen
11-08-2012, 06:37 PM
I question this too.

anglo-saxon
11-08-2012, 06:38 PM
"What do you do with a coyote or wolf after you shoot it?"

Find another one and shoot it!

bc_buckshot
11-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Prime example.... I just shot a coyote in my field. It's been my 4th coyote I got this year. I do have farm animals I have to take care for here and coyotes are a problem around my place. I went out to the field load it on the quad and called my little brother over and he skinned his first animal. Even if there is no really use of coyotes in my mind there's always a way to find make it useful. To learn how to skin properly is to actually do it and that's what the little bro did. Now with the hide I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I already have a bunch of salted and dried tails in the barn. I might just give to a person that could use it to learn how to tan or training to be a taxidermist. Anyways some please let me send you the pic to post. No pic no proof!