PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer - Two Options - Where would You Hunt (not Tunkwa)

skibum
11-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I have one day to hunt coming up here.

I have been out a bit, but it has mostly been grouse hunting with the the one year old in the back pack and two boys (under five) running beside. Would not be pretty firing off the deer gun with the baby in the backpack - thus grouse and rabbit hunting.

Anyways I have two spots and am wondering about where I should go:

OPTION ONE: Large clear cuts with pockets of trees. Coulees and ridges, with tonnes, I mean more than I have ever seen, deer and moose sign. Deer beds on the ridges, coulees filled with scat and prints. Little wet and soggy in the coulees. You can road hunt parts of the cut block. Last time I was there walking it, saw two trucks.

OPTION TWO: Up high, but not quite at the tree line. Old growth fir, it is dense, but in the daylight you can see through the the trees, not a lot of under growth. There are pockets of medow around the trail. I have not seen a lot of deer sign up here. But walking a "goat trail" through the bush, the kids and I were pushing, from the prints, one of the biggest bucks I will probably see - just caught a glimps of him. These tracks were huge! Dew pad and such. (it was not a cow - har har). Steep and never seen anybody hunting up there.

I am leaning towards option two just because I like hunting away from people and prospects of a big deer. But then again I would like some meat, but given four point season, I don't want to be chasing does and dink mulies all day.

What would you guys say?
Thanks

bosca
11-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Personally, given only those two options, I would stick with scenario #1. I am with you on your preference to avoid other hunters but we are well into the rut now and the only predictable thing about the rut is... the bucks go where the does are and not viseversa.
I think your odds of finding a 4 point are greater if you are in the midst of the 'party'...Not to mention that there will be some action to keep your attention peaked.
Again...sticking with the options given.

Either way....its all good! Good luck to ya!

rifleman
11-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Personally, given only those two options, I would stick with scenario #1. I am with you on your preference to avoid other hunters but we are well into the rut now and the only predictable thing about the rut is... the bucks go where the does are and not viseversa.
I think your odds of finding a 4 point are greater if you are in the midst of the 'party'...Not to mention that there will be some action to keep your attention peaked.
Again...sticking with the options given.

Either way....its all good! Good luck to ya!

I'll go with what bosca said...

Bc Deer Hunter
11-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Yep option 1 is my vote aswell!

Freshtracks
11-06-2012, 06:20 PM
As dana says ... go 'BIG" or go home. ;)

Sofa King
11-06-2012, 07:19 PM
yup, option 1.
hunt the does, the bucks will be nearby.
i'm still finding the odd buck up and away from the does, but even they will be wandering down soon.

skibum
11-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys, I am leaning towards following where all the sign is -

I like the idea of hunting tougher terrain and the thoughts of a huge mulie, but I got to put something in the freezer.