PDA

View Full Version : hilleberg nallo 2 gt

goinghunting
11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
So after a ton of research and questions asked I bought a hilleberg nallo 2 gt over the summer. Got the tent and love the room for gear. But we've been getting wet in it, really wet. So talked to hilleberg and I must admit they probably have the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. However after talking to hilleberg seems like its a condensation issue? But we've had all the vents wide open and still wake up absolutely soaked. Anyone else experienced any severe condensation issues with this tent?

longstonec
11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Not with that tent... But with my Sierra designs 4 season tent yes. First night afew years ago was bad. Had all the vents closed. We where cold and wet. Now I leave the vents all open and it's alot better. But still alot of moisture with just one person. Backcountry ski forums would be the best place to look it answers I would think. Not much help I know

Duidery
11-05-2012, 07:04 PM
We had condensation issues in our Hilleberg tent until we opened the vents. There was next to no condensation the morning after.

Trekker
11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
What part of the province are you using this tent, and what about the temperatures.. Just wondering as I was thinking about ordering this tent as well.

RiverOtter
11-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Bought the Nallo 2GT this summer as well, and did have a fair bit of condensation, though it was pretty much confined to the outer tent and vestibule. I thought the inner tent concept, with the 4"+ air circulation around it, was the cats ass for moisture control. Did use all the guy lines though and kept the vents open.

goinghunting
11-06-2012, 07:26 AM
What part of the province are you using this tent, and what about the temperatures.. Just wondering as I was thinking about ordering this tent as well.

I've been using it in the east kootenays, sheep hunting and we've had temperatures ranging from 20 degC to -5 degc and snow.

goinghunting
11-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Bought the Nallo 2GT this summer as well, and did have a fair bit of condensation, though it was pretty much confined to the outer tent and vestibule. I thought the inner tent concept, with the 4"+ air circulation around it, was the cats ass for moisture control. Did use all the guy lines though and kept the vents open.

Like you say I've had the outer tent get alot of condensation on it and then drip onto the inner tent and then inside? Even with all the vents open? Hilleberg offered to replace the tent incase its defective or give me another model, I'm wondering if the other models have the same issues or even this nallo usually does or not, maybe I just got a tent made on a friday?

bigwhiteys
11-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I have a Hilleberg Allak and we still get mild condensation even with both doors vented and the roof vents. Before that tent I used an Integral Designs MK III, same issue. After many days in the mountains with high end backpacking tents across all seasons, I don't think you can ever fully eliminate condensation without a woodstove. It can be regulated through venting and a breeze always helps too... But anyone who tells you they don't ever get condensation in their "any brand" backpacking tent is full of sh!t IMHO. In some weather conditions it's near impossible to prevent, no matter what tent you have.

bruin
11-06-2012, 09:52 AM
I haven't used the Nallo but by the picture it looks like it would be difficult to get enough air movement through it to remove moisture. Like BW said, under some conditions you can't get away from condensation but I've used the Allak ALOT, and I've had pretty good luck with venting that Hilleberg. If its not raining or snowing or super windy I usually leave a section of the doors open to vent even more.

RiverOtter
11-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Like you say I've had the outer tent get alot of condensation on it and then drip onto the inner tent and then inside? Even with all the vents open? Hilleberg offered to replace the tent incase its defective or give me another model, I'm wondering if the other models have the same issues or even this nallo usually does or not, maybe I just got a tent made on a friday?

Haven't done it yet, as water seems to bead off my inner tent just fine, but I was going to use "Scotch Guard" on the outside of the inner tent as soon as it quits beading.

Other than that, I've yet to own or use a top end, or bottom end tent, that didn't condense. Just always vent low at the feet and high at the head and deal with the rest. I've even went as far as slipping a garbage bag over the foot box of my mummy bag in extreme cases.

Spokerider
11-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I've been researching backpacking tents also, but have not made a purchase yet.
This thread has me wondering; what is the point of buying a top end tent over a mid priced 4 season tent if condensation remains an issue? Differences in weight between the two are mere ounces............

valleyHunter
11-06-2012, 07:55 PM
have you used a foot print and paw print for inside and under your tent ? if not look into them they keep your stuff dry even if theres a fair amount of moisture. I made mine out of poly house sideing and it works very well, just make the inside one bigger than your floor diameter by a few inches and the bottom one under your tent smaller by a few inches, hope that helps.

RiverOtter
11-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I've been researching backpacking tents also, but have not made a purchase yet.
This thread has me wondering; what is the point of buying a top end tent over a mid priced 4 season tent if condensation remains an issue? Differences in weight between the two are mere ounces............

In a word "Strength".

Hillebergs are way overbuilt to stand up to the worst conditions possible; extreme wind and snow load. Most of the time you don't "NEED" a Hille, but it's an insurance pollicy of sorts for the time(s) when you do....

If you seen the poles they use, you'd understand.

RiverOtter
11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
have you used a foot print and paw print for inside and under your tent ? if not look into them they keep your stuff dry even if theres a fair amount of moisture. I made mine out of poly house sideing and it works very well, just make the inside one bigger than your floor diameter by a few inches and the bottom one under your tent smaller by a few inches, hope that helps.

Floor condensation isn't the issue, it's the moisture from the fly dripping onto the inner tent and eventually passing through the walls to the occupants...

Not that a footprint isn't a good idea, as it saves the tent floor from wear and tear. Probably don't need one on the inside though, as sleeping bags and pillows aren't that abrasive.

ytlogger
11-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Keep the tent as tight as possible and I leave the front open whenever possible, only closing the vestibule when necessary.