PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure Craft Operator Card

wrenchyanker
11-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Wondering if you guys know if there is any truth to this. I heard that if you lost your operator card and needed a replacement that you had to redo the course again or challenge exam as the govt does not keep track of the card #. Buddy tells me he carries a photo copy of his operator card and leaves plastic version at home.

BcBob
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Transport Canada recommends that all boaters make a copy of their card upon receiving it. This will eliminate doing any research in order to get a replacement card. It’s the simplest and most effective way to get your card replaced!

Iron Glove
11-05-2012, 09:20 AM
The problem arises when the original provider of the Card has gone out of business, you have no-one to go to for the replacement.
Yes, keep a copy or two, or three ............

wrenchyanker
11-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. Got mine in Nov 2000 and have no idea who the provider would be and really doubt they are still in business. I still have my original licence but just heard about this. Anyone had any experience handing over a photo copy to someone asking for a licence?

cmarrie
11-05-2012, 10:31 AM
phone Transport Canada at 604-666-5300 and ask to speak with a boating safety officer. They will be able to do a search and tell you how to get your replacement, even if your original card company was sold or is no longer in business. They'll also give you the low down on the photocopy provisions.

Sofa King
11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
like those above have said, make extra copies.
that's what i also do with my fishing license.
i print out several copies and keep them in a folder.
i put one in my boat, another in my truck, another in with my tackle.
that way there's no chance that i ever forget it.

black mountain
11-05-2012, 07:46 PM
i phoned the number on there web site and had 3 new replacement cards with in about 2 weeks , it was very easy no problems

BRvalley
11-06-2012, 06:20 PM
during the first year or so of the implementation there were issues, but I was told there is a now a central registry

look up the 1-800 number on the boaterexam website and call them, pretty quick and easy, i think it's 15 for 1 or 3 for 30...after you give them your credit card they will email a temporary licence to print and keep on you, good for 60 days

i got 3 new cards, 1 never leaves my wallet, 1 never leaves my boat...and 1 extra I keep at home...I also took a picture of the card on my cell, so i have my number always handy...all the bases covered

on a side note..I have never been asked to show the pleasure craft card...they have only ever asked to look at any fish and asked if we had alcohol

but i'm told they are much tighter on the card if you are on a jetski

wrenchyanker
11-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have not lost my licence and just something I heard. Was just wondering if I was suposed to treat licence like gold. Lots of good ways of filing a copy! I have actually never been asked to provide a operator licence by anyone either, just where's the fish!