PDA

View Full Version : Rivers blown out for salmon fishing so......

Sako 75
11-03-2012, 06:24 PM
I was looking forward to going salmon this morning but after hearing reports of high brown colour rivers decided to shoot ducks instead with my duck hunting buddy. We started late around 9:00 a.m this morning and spend 15 minutes setting up the 3 full bags of mixed geese and duck decoys plus robo duck. Settled in the duck blind and the fun started immediately. With wind blowing northerly from our blind my shooting was terrible for first 6 shots and only to have 1 greenhead to show for. Boy, did I felt like rookie shooting. My friend was not doing any better either, so with little discussion about our shooting for had to lead them a lot further.

With little adjustment in my leading the ducks and switching over to Federal's #2 instead of using the lighter #3 loads it made all the difference. By exactly 12:00 p.m we got limits of 16 mallards. We also had lots widgeon, pintail, teal and 1 hen shoveller hoover over our decoys and some of the teals and widgeon even landed among our decoys.

Furthermore, this coming Christmas holiday I might be post another opening to invited some new duck hunters to hunt with me.

nano
11-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Well done, nice shooting!

lorneparker1
11-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Good job sir! Where you hunting? region? and wheres the pics!

Sako 75
11-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I am duck hunting Region 2-4......somewhere in Lowermainland.

Fella
11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
I was looking forward to going salmon this morning but after hearing reports of high brown colour rivers decided to shoot ducks instead with my duck hunting buddy. We started late around 9:00 a.m this morning and spend 15 minutes setting up the 3 full bags of mixed geese and duck decoys plus robo duck. Settled in the duck blind and the fun started immediately. With wind blowing northerly from our blind my shooting was terrible for first 6 shots and only to have 1 greenhead to show for. Boy, did I felt like rookie shooting. My friend was not doing any better either, so with little discussion about our shooting for had to lead them a lot further.

With little adjustment in my leading the ducks and switching over to Federal's #2 instead of using the lighter #3 loads it made all the difference. By exactly 12:00 p.m we got limits of 16 mallards. We also had lots widgeon, pintail, teal and 1 hen shoveller hoover over our decoys and some of the teals and widgeon even landed among our decoys.

Furthermore, this coming Christmas holiday I might be post another opening to invited some new duck hunters to hunt with me.

I'm assuming you mean the Vedder was blown out. Not so my friend! Had a buddy go early early and hooked into a nice coho. The guy next to him went home with his daily limit by 7:30 am!

Ducks are fun too though.