PDA

View Full Version : Late season deer tactics

Livinlarge
11-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Looking for a bit of info and a little advice.

Being relatively new to hunting I'm trying to educate myself the best I can regarding deer behavior, migration routes, wintering grounds, feed, etc. I've been successful harvesting mule deer in October during any buck season but this year I'm trying my first November 4 point hunt.

From information I've gathered apparently the wintering grounds for Mule deer consist of the areas between the cascades and cariboo mountains, pretty broad range if you ask me. So my questions to all that know are as follows:

-How do your tactics change come November?
-How do you choose your hunting area come November?

I'm trying to find an area in region 3 to put in some efforts come the third week of November. Any advice would be much appreciated!

bruin
11-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I find that summer, fall and winter range and deer movements between the three range greatly depending on the specific area you're hunting. Some deer leave their summer range in late September, some deer's winter and summer range is the same thing. Some deer travel lots of miles, some walk down a ridge. I would suggest the best thing you can do is start searching. Snow is great for locating the herds in November. By the 3rd week most of Region 3 should have snow. Once you've found a good amount of sign, do some foot work!
Good luck.

Blainer
11-02-2012, 08:53 PM
You are hunting the pre-rut/rut
find the doe's,and bucks are close by

boxhitch
11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
How do you choose your hunting area come November? we migrate to reg 3 , after MD closes in reg 8 .

6pt_elk_wannabe
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
those big bucks dont get pushed down until mid to late november depending where you are, in november hunt the doe, look for a small group then just watch them until they wander off, usually scan the timber around them and mr. 4pt will be right behind them.
cheers :)