PDA

View Full Version : 400 m from hwy - rifles

brazen
11-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Howcome if some rifle rounds are listed as lethal to some like 5 miles, they only restrict shooting from half a k from the highway; if i'm not wrong they dont' specify direction of fire either in that regulation.

500grhollowpoint
11-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Lol they just don't want hunting there....it's a corridor right through dense bush, discoureges dumbasses from road hunting on the hwy.

RoscoeP
11-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Kinda means like you have to walk in 400 m from the highway before you can shoot, not shoot from the highway at something that is more than 400m away from the highway.

Big Lew
11-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Howcome if some rifle rounds are listed as lethal to some like 5 miles, they only restrict shooting from half a k from the highway; if i'm not wrong they dont' specify direction of fire either in that regulation.

Well, let's hope that 'they' don't now decide to increase the restricted zone to 5 miles.

cloverphil
11-02-2012, 07:28 PM
generally speaking, it isn't wise to be aiming towards a highway when pulling the trigger, I think there was something in the CORE course about "being sure of your target and beyond"

just a thought

reach
11-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I've always wondered how this is interpreted though. Is it (1) where *you* are standing when you shoot, (2) where the game is standing, or (3) the path of the bullet that has to stay out of the 400 m zone?

I think everyone would agree on (1), but if you yourself are outside the 400 m but the game is within 400 m (2), or the game is also outside 400 m but the highway is curved so that the bullet would pass within 400 m... any lawyers on here? :D

To be safe I follow the "if I'm not sure, don't do it" rule and stay well away from highways so I don't have to think about it. But I'd like to know the official definition.

boxhitch
11-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Careful what you ask for in a clarification , they could just lump them all into the 'no hunting or discharge ....' group.
Hwy 3 and 97C have that now , meaning no hunting which is a far bigger lassoe

Gateholio
11-02-2012, 10:17 PM

Back when most of the hunting regulations were written, the expectation was that hunters had at least a small degree of common sense, and didn't need to be overly regulated to the point that they needed to consult regulations to know that shooting TOWARDS a highway was a poor idea, no matter if you were close or 500m away. For the most part, this is still true today, in that most hunters respect one of the four Golden Safety rules that says 'Know your target and beyond."

I believe that "shooting towards a road" is actually an offense, although I am not sure. What I am 100% sure IS an offense is "careless discharge of a firearm" which would certainly apply to someone who paced off 501 m from a highway, turned around and started shooting towards it. This could be followed up with multiple more charges if your bullet actually struck a vehicle or human.

We don't need an extra regulation telling us which direction to shoot, but what we always need is people excising common sense. Thankfully, it seems that most hunters do, which is evident in how few few hunting "accidents" happen.