PDA

View Full Version : Old and New

Blacktail
11-02-2012, 11:17 AM
My father in law had this old Shrade upswept skinner for 40 years that he used for hunting and camping
I am not sure what type of steel the Shrade is made from and the handle seems to be a bakalite type of material that is coloured to look like antler.
I decided to make my own version of this knife.
It is made from 5/32 precision ground 440C steel
It is a hidden tang design and has a brass guard with red/white/black spacing material in front of and elk antler handle.It is held in place with a single brass pin for strength
It is well balanced and long enough to get in there to quarter up game as well as having that classic skinning blade style.
It is 9 7/8 inches overall with a 5 1/2 inch blade that is 1 1/2 inches at the widest point

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/blacktail243/oldandnew.jpg

Big Lew
11-02-2012, 11:34 AM
A clean looking knife. You did a very good job of it. Time will tell if it'll keep a good edge.
My Grandfather made a similar knife over a 100 years ago out of deer antler and an old file. I don't know just how he was able to shape the blade to look
professional, or how he tempered it, but it maintained a very sharp edge, as well as, or better than a good quality blade. He gave it to me,
and I've passed it on down the line.

BimmerBob
11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
That is a fine looking knife BT, nice job!

Ruger4
11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
top blade looks familiar, is that a puma ?

Blacktail
11-02-2012, 07:23 PM
top blade looks familiar, is that a puma ?

The top blade is made by me

boxhitch
11-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Nice tribute to an old classic.
I have a Ruko and another? , blades look similar and are marked 'original buffalo skinner' , both of Solingen steel , both have brass pommels , probably over 60 years old.