PDA

View Full Version : Guns and snowmobiles

Muledeerman
11-02-2012, 01:30 AM
How do you transport your gun when using a snowmobile?

Camp Cook
11-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Unloaded of course... :)

BlacktailStalker
11-02-2012, 05:32 AM
I always thought it was illegal to hunt off a snowmobile.

The Dude
11-02-2012, 06:07 AM
I thought so too, but I scanned the Regs and couldn't find anything. Used to be you couldn't use a snowmachine to hunt.
Did it not?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2012, 06:10 AM
I always thought it was illegal to hunt off a snowmobile.

No different than hunting off an ATV.....where/when permitted. Not all regions allow the use of snowmobiles period while some regions have restrictions on the dates you can use them for hunting purposes. Areas in the north tend to have fewer restrictions.

SSS

bisonhunter
11-02-2012, 06:47 AM
I always wear mine hanging off of my chest. I've gotten used to it this way as sometimes I'll have a passenger.

Don't forget your scope covers or to tape the end of your barrel.

.330 Dakota
11-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Safari sling would work,,,or a Kolpin boot on the rear of the running boards etc

osburn
11-02-2012, 07:43 AM
I've seen guys use scabbard's attached to the side of the tunnel. A eberlstock pack would work well to

IronNoggin
11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I've seen guys use scabbard's attached to the side of the tunnel.

When I lived in the Arctic a lot of the hunting was (and of course still is) done off snow machines.
Most that I knew, and myself, carried our rifles in scabbards alongside the tunnel as noted above. Only ever once had one slide out, which resulted in 2 hours of Sheer Panic until I finally realized my Inuit hunting Buddy had picked it up, and was seriously enjoying watching me hunt for it...
Most of the time we would transport the rifles to site in that fashion, then sling them on your shoulder when nearing game.

Although not recommended...
On one of my first hunts up that way, a good Buddy told me to toss the helmet. Huh? I began mumbling something about safety etc, when he laughed and asked: Ever try to shoulder your rifle with a helmet on? Never wore one up there again, and thankfully never landed on my noggin despite my share of spills...

Cheers,
Nog

Drillbit
11-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Right side of the tunnel, stock at the rear. Usually use a leather scabbard for horseback, and shove a rag down at the back of the scope that falls out when you pull out the rifle. Used a regular guncase one time and it worked OK too, just slower to unzip. A flip cap for the rear of the scope is a good idea.

The rag also keeps snow from blowing into and empty magwell.

Had an old Yamaha and bolted a leather scabbard to the side of the hood, that was good too but had to worry about it a bit more knocking down willows.

dino
11-02-2012, 04:03 PM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/DCAM0019.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/DCAM0018.jpg

boxhitch
11-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Mine would be in a gunboot on top of the load in the skimmer.
Could be carried loaded this way , as not on or in the motor vehicle. ??

landphil
11-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Mine would be in a gunboot on top of the load in the skimmer.
Could be carried loaded this way , as not on or in the motor vehicle. ??
Not legal to have it loaded. The skimmer would fall under " conveyance"

Foxtail
11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
When I lived in the Arctic a lot of the hunting was (and of course still is) done off snow machines.
Most that I knew, and myself, carried our rifles in scabbards alongside the tunnel as noted above. Only ever once had one slide out, which resulted in 2 hours of Sheer Panic until I finally realized my Inuit hunting Buddy had picked it up, and was seriously enjoying watching me hunt for it...
Most of the time we would transport the rifles to site in that fashion, then sling them on your shoulder when nearing game.

Although not recommended...
On one of my first hunts up that way, a good Buddy told me to toss the helmet. Huh? I began mumbling something about safety etc, when he laughed and asked: Ever try to shoulder your rifle with a helmet on? Never wore one up there again, and thankfully never landed on my noggin despite my share of spills...

Cheers,
Nog

Buddy of mine never wears a helmet... He wears a homemade skunkskin cap!

blackbart
11-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Looks like Dino might have gotten some cool pics of a 141" buck. Way to go on your biggest buck to date. Well done. Do you have a story to share?

dino
11-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Looks like Dino might have gotten some cool pics of a 141" buck. Way to go on your biggest buck to date. Well done. Do you have a story to share?

Ouch!.... 141 would be generous so I guess thanks for that nice comment. Sorry that Im not as great as you are but all us guys that shoot small bucks shouldnt worry an awesome
inspirational guy like you. The truth is that I had to retrieve one of my tcams before the snow buried it so I took one of my sleds and rifle with me. The OP was asking about hunting with a sled so I posted a pic of my sled and an animal I took while using it, I guess I shouldnt have posted the pic of the buck I didnt think it was offensive because it wasnt a buck of your great caliber. I will try next time to not post a pic of the animal because I didnt realize how offensive it was to post kills on a hunting site. I was wondering why there's so many more pics of other animals being shot big and small on the other hunting site. Its guys like you that are slowly eroding this site away. Good job.