PDA

View Full Version : Doe Draw 3-18

JIL_24/7
10-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Hello everyone!
Well, this is it. One last chance for me. I have had an awesome, but really frustrating year. I had a bull moose within 30 yards on my moose draw, but a grizzly came and spoiled the fun. I had a beautiful bull elk lined up broadside at 350 yards, but couldn't confirm the sixth point and never got any closer. I have hiked like an animal and seen a lot. I've passed on a number of bucks figuring I would see a better one. Well, bird in the hand, right? All that to say I have one more shot to bring home some meat. I have an antlerless draw for 3-18. I will be leaving after church on Sunday, November 11th and hunting until Wednesday morning. My goal is to hunt hard, but I need some advice. First thing I need advice on. Should I kill a doe right away and then concentrate on trying to find a whitetail and a spike fork moose? Or should I hunt hard for a mulie buck as they should be rutting and take a doe only at the end if I have to? Second thing I need advice on is where I should camp/stay. I have stayed at Tunkwa Lake resort, but I think that is technically in 3-19? I want to camp/stay in the best place to have a chance at a couple different animals. I am not afraid of hiking, and I have a 4x4 truck and a quad. PM me if you're willing to point me in the right direction. Been a great season, really, seen lots of game and places I never thought I'd see in my life. I feel very blessed to have spent as much time as I have in the great outdoors this year. Hope to finish the season in style!

Sofa King
10-31-2012, 08:51 PM
hunt for a mulie buck.
you won't have any problems taking a doe, they are everywhere.

you could stay up at chataway lakes resort.
that would put you in the heart of where you want to be.
i just drove through there on monday.

JIL_24/7
10-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Does that area hold a possibility of a spike-fork unicorn? I mean moose? How about whitetail? I have never hunted near Chataway before, so I don't know the area at all. I spent 4 days at Tunkwa last year, so I at least know the area a little. It's only my second full year of hunting, so I get a little overwhelmed going to another new place by myself with the season running out. Any veterans out there want to go hunting?

Bushy
11-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Tunkwa is in 3-18, the Tunkwa Lake road separates 3-18(west of TLR)/3-19(east of TLR)

Harvest your doe, then continue hunting.

guywitha270
11-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Tunkwa is in 3-18, the Tunkwa Lake road separates 3-18(west of TLR)/3-19(east of TLR)

Harvest your doe, then continue hunting.

I agree, take advantage of your draw then go shoot a unicorn. They're everywhere. I know 12-15 spike-forks have come out of there already.

shadow1982
11-01-2012, 09:30 AM
lol go to tunkwa and your hunt will be over in mins... lol but congratulations on such a good season... could be better but still better then most bet you learned a lot so hey its a win win jack

Sofa King
11-01-2012, 09:43 AM
I agree, take advantage of your draw then go shoot a unicorn. They're everywhere. I know 12-15 spike-forks have come out of there already.

all the more reason to go somewhere else.
how many more can really be in there?
and why wipe them completely out?
but, if you prefer to hunt amongst tons of other hunters, then yeah, tunkwa is great.

BigfishCanada
11-01-2012, 10:10 AM
I have been told of a few Immys around Tunkwa still running ground, goto Tunkwa, the guys there are great at helping fill tags. I wouldn't get to greedy on holding off in shooting your doe. I have seen hundreds of does in a weekend and my buddy that had the doe tag didn't see one. If its meat you want, shoot the first doe you can, hang it in Tunkwas shed and then go look for a whitetail/immy. There's a lot of Whitetail monsters around the resort. Again my advice tag your draw then have fun looking without any stress for more!!! Good luck

6pt_elk_wannabe
01-23-2013, 11:13 AM
i know its a little late but go to tunkwa resort's website and look at their hunting report. they tell you the weather and how much game comes in and it sounds pretty good...