PDA

View Full Version : Semi Auto Shotgun Lubrication?

BiG Boar
10-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Hey Guys,
I have an xtrema 2 beretta. I think I have been over lubricating or something. Sometimes, on high in the sky (above me) shots, I get some kind of crap expelled into my eyes. At first I was thinking powder, but now I am leaning towards lubrication as the action cycles. Either way I don't love it.

I have fixed the o-ring into place (a common issue), and my gun works consistently perfect.

Just wondering on a semi auto what actually needs lubrication? Also what should I avoid lubricating?

Thanks in advance. Me

Aheny
10-31-2012, 06:36 PM
I dont have any insight into whats causing it, but I can say that my semi has stopped doing that to me after I've put around 500 shots through it, and several cleanings

keoke
10-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Only thing I oil on my sx3 is the bolt with a couple drops on where it slides in the action

Foxton Gundogs
10-31-2012, 06:51 PM
I bring my X2 home from the marsh ose a pull rag on the bore, flush its working parts with fresh warm water to get any salt out, dry it with a hair dryer and squirt the works with WD40 it doesnt hold girt and grime like oil and grease and displaces the water. I then wipe off the excess. If I am putting it away for a spell then I clean and oil it. been following the same routine for years on diffrent guns, no rust or corrosion, no malfunctions.:-D

lorneparker1
10-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Nothing like getting a facial while shooting lards in the ass!

Crazy_Farmer
10-31-2012, 07:09 PM
G96 is your friend. /thread

pnbrock
10-31-2012, 08:03 PM
x2 on the g96 cleans and lubricates my extrema never ran smoother.

BiG Boar
10-31-2012, 08:25 PM
well mine runs smooth. I'm just wondering if I am lubricating the wrong areas. And I can't find that G96 thread as its only 3 letters. Any idea who started it, or where I might find it? I just want to know where I should be spraying my G96. Maybe I am doing it in the gas ejection ports.

Crazy_Farmer
10-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Hahaha I meant G96 and /thread as in thread over no end for more. It's not so much like an oil so you spray it on and wipe off once it sits on it a bit. They'll be no leftover or built up oil residue. So the gun will be smooth and lubricated but not an oily mess anywhere. The rails and action are always a good place. And the tubes normally just a light spray on them once clean.

pnbrock
10-31-2012, 09:01 PM
wholesale sells it .the cleaning agents vaporize leaving a light oil on gun.

lockmancpl
10-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Are you sure it is not residue? Interesting thing happened when a buddy tried some of my vintage 2 3/4's in his new auto. His gun was working fine on the good stuff, but with the old, there was open flame coming out of the action. He did not notice as the shooter, but it scared the crap out me. He was wearing safety glasses and did not comment on any back spray though. I wonder if auto's are more sensitive to length or quality, or preformance level of shells and the ability to process all of the powder before the bolt opens??

Singleshotneeded
11-01-2012, 12:14 AM
G96, wipe it on lightly with a rag, on moving parts...not gas ports and areas where gas travels.

blindman
11-01-2012, 09:57 AM
What are you shooting for shells?

longshot
11-02-2012, 11:26 PM
I find when we used to shoot winchesters, they left next to nothing in the barrel and no particles to "blow back". Federal loads leave a bit more residue but still not too bad. Remington loads tend to shoot hot flying pieces of burning powder everywhere and leave your arm on the ground and your eyes burnt...... So it could very well be powder residue/pieces from the shot depending on the load??

Qwa-honn
11-03-2012, 07:12 AM
G96! Spray then let sit for a bit then wipe off and put firearem back together.

Ian F.
11-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Dave,

try shooting it very dry, only a touch on the friction points....you'll have answer pretty quick

ian