PDA

View Full Version : Kechicka Trip/Jet boat fuel storage?

ElectricDyck
10-31-2012, 05:54 PM
We're planning a trip up the kechika next year for 2 weeks in the last week of august. Buddy got a boat this year and we are going up with a couple other boats. What do guys use for carrying fuel? Is there a place in Fort Nelson we could fill up some unapproved containers with dyed fuel for the long journey? Suggestions, we're new at this. The other guys are a little more experienced but we are trying to plan to be self sufficient to make things easier. Any other hunting tips or advice would be appreciated. Goal for the trip is to get some meat, enjoy some mountain scenery and find some adventure. Our little group are good with some slog hiking but the others are kinda old and will most likely hunt around camp. We'll have a pocket full of tags. Thanks, pms welcome.

Some Northern http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0939.jpgmountain

pics http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_1570-1.jpgfor

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0818.jpgfun

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0864.jpg..

ultramafic
10-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Couple of years back we went on a BISON hunt and stopped in Fort St John I believe it was on our way up. We went to the Shell Card lock not far into town on the highway. Their system/pumps were ( at that time ) operable with a normal VISA card, you didnt have to have a special card lock card. If that is still the case you should be able to fill your containers there as if I remember correctly it was an unmanned station. I dont remember if they had marked fuel or not though sorry.

mike

nap
10-31-2012, 08:09 PM
I would plan for no less than 10 gallons per hour. I would haul fuel from down south, I don't know of marked fuel in Ft Nelson, but fuel there will be way up there.

mark
10-31-2012, 08:11 PM
First find your fuel consumption, or burn rate, with a similar load onboard, then figure out how far your going (hours, not miles)
For example, its about a 3 hour cruise to the turnagan planing at approx 20-25 mph.
Maybe another 3 hours to the very top of the turnagan?
I just take gerry cans for ease of handling, store it anywhere on the river banks, gas is lying everywhere up there, seems theft is not a problem.

Fill er all up in ft.st. john. Gas get expensive real fast after that!

deer nut
10-31-2012, 08:24 PM
That is gorgeous country! Good luck!

tomahawk
10-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Havent been there for several years now but the times we went we had 45 gallon drums dropped off in strategic locations by the guy who provided supplies for the outfitters in the area. I dont think he is around anymore (I believe his name was Doug and he had a 38 ft jet with twin 454's) but there may be someone else running a service for the rivers? That way we had less weight in the boat and more room for our stuff.

Garret
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
We did a 5 hour run down this year and we were burning about 8-10 gallons per hour, had about 120 gallons in fuel loaded. Would of been nice to have some gas drops on the way. Beautiful back in there lots of critters around too.

sed8ed
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
If you are worried about transport and theft, grab a few 45 gal drums from one of the local suppliers and fill them in PG (esso has the cheapest marked 91 no ethanol I have found) or fill them in abby with chevron 94 for the same price.

Transport wise, drums are the easiest to handle and leave in the bush (black drums) and as a bonus, you can overlay a different sticker on them once you drop them off to deter thieves (try C14 or C23 leaded, regular engines won't be able to run on it but it still meets all the regulatory standards) If you bring along a small electric fuel pump or hand spinner you are all set rather than lifting jerry after jerry

PLEASE remember to pack out what you pack in when it comes to fuel... especially in those volumes

sed8ed
11-01-2012, 04:07 PM
On the other hand, maybe not C23... I just checked the pricing and it's around $700 per drum, good reason to steal it after all

Rock Doctor
11-01-2012, 07:10 PM
ESSO Bulk Plant in FT, they have Purple, and you can just use the "House Card"
Fuel price is similar to FSJ area.
Nobody cares what you put the fuel in. I don't recommend using garbage bags, but a little common sense goes a long way.

RD

BCRiverBoater
11-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Not sure what the bulk stations are charging but the regular pump prices are way cheaper in FSJ. 45 gallon drums are way too big and heavy to load and unload. Most guys use 10 and 15 gallon barrels or plastic soap barrels from the car wash. You can also buy the square 10 gallon containers from Marmot Plastics in Grande Prairie, Alberta. I personally use the plastic drums from the car wash. They hold about 14-14.5 gallons each and are just manageable by myself. They are tall and skinny and take up very little room. I carry 8 of them in my little 17' sportjet along with my side tanks and 5 gerry cans. They fit nicely and are a good height to sit on. I just place a life jacket on them for a cushion and they make a great chair. Lots of guys also run the lines 10 and 15 gallon steel drums.

If you are dropping gas and leaving it unattended then I recommend steel drums. I personally have not had problems but lots of guys that leave fuel for weeks or months have had bears chew holes in the plastic drums. The bear will ruin every single drum before leaving. But the they can not get their teeth through the slippery steel drums. I do leave my plstic drums for a week at a time and have never had a problem but it could happen for sure.

ryanb
11-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Bears like to put holes in plastic things. If you are going to leave them, try pissing around the barrels. The scent may deter some bears.