PDA

View Full Version : Flinstone moose ribs?

BearStump
10-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Ok guys, I'm going for my moose in about 8 days. If the hunting gods are nice to us we can take 2 bulls. I've always wanted some nice big racks of ribs but tend to shoot there and most gets ruined. or dont have an appropriate saw handy etc. etc. usually end up trimming the meat out of the bone for ground. I plan on shooting my moose accordingly this year and keeping the ribs in tact if at all possible.
My question is: whats the best way to care for the ribs. should they hang with the animal for a week? or will they dry out too much?
do I leave on as much meat and "layered" fat as possible once the hide is off?
should I just hang the ribs for a day then vacuum seal and freeze right away?
should I cut them into decent portions and smoke them for a bit before freezing?

Are moose ribs even any good? or are they usually real gamey? I know the fat on wild game is not as tasty as the fat on a cow.

any tips would be appreciated

Gateholio
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
We've just cut the meat out then into the slow cooker.

But I'd treat them like beef ribs. You could age them if it's convenient, but you are going to cook the hell out of them anyway, so they will get tender via cooking. I'd leave as much meat on as possible. When you cook them you can simmer them for a few hours to try to render out some of the fat, then slow cook them on real low on the BBQ all day. More fat will render out.

ultramafic
10-31-2012, 08:07 PM
I would personally suggest to make sure you get the cavity really clean/washed out. I dont think I have tried moose ribs but I know I tried deer ribs ONCE and even the neighbors dog nearly turned its nose up. The rest of the meat was pretty good but the ribs from that deer had flavour to spare. Since then I have left the ribs with the carcass, but that is my opinion.

mike

Jager
10-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Good luck. I've never gained an appreciation for game ribs (moose,elk or deer). That's not to say I won't give them another chance, but I'm told the gamey taste comes from the fat, and the ribs are usually layered with the stuff.

tomahawk
10-31-2012, 09:32 PM
My favourite part of the moose, elk, bison or any animal!! I leave them attached to the front quarters, wipe em down witha damp cloth and age the same as the rest of the meat. I use a meat saw to cut them out so make mine bigger so i dont have to make so many cuts, I mark the packages "not so short ribs" and the whole family loves em too. I dont remove any fat prior to cooking and only cook them in the slow cooker on low all day. I have a recipe that I will share with you if you bring some back. I take all ribs from below the back straps, prime rib etc right down to the brisket. I love em so much that the local butcher here in town saves all the ribs he cuts for his customers that they dont want (go figure) and he calls me up and i get free ribs throughout the hunting season. Try em, you'll love em! No such thing as gamey taste if you take care in your field dressing! I have smoked em for a couple hrs in the smoker first and then slow cooked em to change it up but dont need to if you use the right recipe.

BearStump
10-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Good luck. I've never gained an appreciation for game ribs (moose,elk or deer). That's not to say I won't give them another chance, but I'm told the gamey taste comes from the fat, and the ribs are usually layered with the stuff.
I'm hoping that a good brine, and a bit of smoke can smarten the taste up nicely. we'll see I hope.........

The Dude
10-31-2012, 11:19 PM
I always keep my Elk ribs. We age the meat anyway, but you could carve them off and freeze them anytime.
I steam the living crap out of when I cook 'em, til they're almost falling apart, then drown them in my homemade, Ultra-Super-Secret BBQ sauce, and char 'em up on the grill.
Awesome Sauce!

Skull Hunter
11-01-2012, 10:25 AM
I cooked an entire rack of Moose ribs over the fire for a bit of a bbq this fall. Marinated them overnight in a large garbage bag, then suspended them over the fire and cooked for several hours. They tasted great but were tougher than I would have liked. In the future, if I bring the ribs out, I'll cut them smaller and braise them, or do them in the slow-cooker.

MichelD
11-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Ribs are great from all critters. Never noticed a gamey taste. I slow cook them in a clay pot with tomato sauce with lots of onions and garlic.

Spuddge
11-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmm moose ribs!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Moose_Ribs.jpg

BearStump
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
looks awesome Spuddge!! thats what I'm hoping for.

krazy
11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
My favourite part of the moose, elk, bison or any animal!! I leave them attached to the front quarters, wipe em down witha damp cloth and age the same as the rest of the meat. I use a meat saw to cut them out so make mine bigger so i dont have to make so many cuts, I mark the packages "not so short ribs" and the whole family loves em too. I dont remove any fat prior to cooking and only cook them in the slow cooker on low all day. I have a recipe that I will share with you if you bring some back. I take all ribs from below the back straps, prime rib etc right down to the brisket. I love em so much that the local butcher here in town saves all the ribs he cuts for his customers that they dont want (go figure) and he calls me up and i get free ribs throughout the hunting season. Try em, you'll love em! No such thing as gamey taste if you take care in your field dressing! I have smoked em for a couple hrs in the smoker first and then slow cooked em to change it up but dont need to if you use the right recipe.

Tomahawk you're making my mouth water just talking about it! Come on give up that secret recipe so we can give it a try! :)

tomahawk
11-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Tomahawk you're making my mouth water just talking about it! Come on give up that secret recipe so we can give it a try! :)

Hahaha, its not a secret, I'll post the recipe soon when im not so tired to go upstairs and type it out, its pretty basic and so good.

IronNoggin
11-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Hahaha, its not a secret, I'll post the recipe soon when im not so tired to go upstairs and type it out, its pretty basic and so good.

Excellent! Another with impending LEH tags THANKS You in advance!! :-D

Cheers,
Nog

Rock Doctor
11-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Mmmmm, Ribs

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/DSC01089.jpg

RD

Blacktail 270
11-02-2012, 12:20 PM
This year we'll be trying Maui ribs. Cut across the ribs. Haven't tried them yet but this thread has got the mouth watering. Will pull some out of the freezer

BearStump
11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
This year we'll be trying Maui ribs. Cut across the ribs. Haven't tried them yet but this thread has got the mouth watering. Will pull some out of the freezer
yah, that'll probably work well. marinade the crap out of em for a few days. then cook on low in the barbie.

pmj
11-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Rock Doctor has posted an excellent recepie some time ago.
Wash and or wipe down the rib cavity of blood and debri as soon as possible.
Cut up with the rest of the meat. I have used a hand saw, reciprocating saw (best). Cut them into cooking/serving size and length. I leave about +- 3/4 inches of meat on them and 3 to 5 ribs together.
From the Rock Doctor:
Boil ribs 1 1/2 to 2 hrs in about 1 liter of apple juice and topped up with water. A turkey pan works good for the big ribs.
Remove. Allow to cool. Rub with olive oil.
Sprinkle with Montreal la grill steak spice.
Roast in oven or on bbq for about 45 minutes. Of course you should turn them.
Add your favourite bbq sauce for the last 10 -15 minutes so it does not have time to burn.
This is a fantastic recepie. Threw out tons of dried, bad ribs until I fond this recepie.:-D

BearStump
11-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Rock Doctor has posted an excellent recepie some time ago.
Wash and or wipe down the rib cavity of blood and debri as soon as possible.
Cut up with the rest of the meat. I have used a hand saw, reciprocating saw (best). Cut them into cooking/serving size and length. I leave about +- 3/4 inches of meat on them and 3 to 5 ribs together.
From the Rock Doctor:
Boil ribs 1 1/2 to 2 hrs in about 1 liter of apple juice and topped up with water. A turkey pan works good for the big ribs.
Remove. Allow to cool. Rub with olive oil.
Sprinkle with Montreal la grill steak spice.
Roast in oven or on bbq for about 45 minutes. Of course you should turn them.
Add your favourite bbq sauce for the last 10 -15 minutes so it does not have time to burn.
This is a fantastic recepie. Threw out tons of dried, bad ribs until I fond this recepie.:-D

Thats what I'm talking about!! I can do this, and it sounds awesome.

tomahawk
11-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Here's how i like em, i'm not big on covering the flavour of good tasting wild game meat(or any meat) so I dont like to add a lot of sauce or marinade or too much spices etc on the meat so that the sauce or marinade dominates the flavour. I prefer the meatier short ribs from the fronts but the ribs themselves have some meat and are good as well.

3 lbs of ribs
1/2 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Mix the flour, salt and pepper and coat the ribs liberally.

3 or 4 TB's of your fav oil
2 Good size onions
2 Bay leafs
1/2 tsp whole allspice (or 1/4 of ground allspice)
1.5 cups of clear Broth or consomme (i make my own from game meat but beef will do)

Heat the oil in a skillet and brown the meat well on all sides.
Combine all the ingredients except the broth and add to an MT slow cooker
Put the browned ribs over top and pour the broth over the ribs.
Cook on low for 8-10 hrs or high for 4-6 but i like the low cooked better.
Before serving remove the allspice (if whole) and bayleafs.

Enjoy with your fav potatoes, rice, veggies or what have you!

krazy
11-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys!

Red Spratley
11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Boil them with 2 lit of pepsi them barberque them low and slow . Brush on teriyaki sauce