PDA

View Full Version : what hunting is all about....at least to me.

elcazador
10-31-2012, 03:48 PM
this is my second year going out, and my first year knowing how to spot & stalk hunt a deer as a bow hunter.

on my first day out early in the morning, snow coming down, and i felt i was moving in total silence, saw nothing just an uphill from hell... for sure was making tons of noice

second day out pouring rain hard, i spotted some does and little ones. also spotted 2 white tails

third day out, spotted a buck 600 yards away, and came to 10 yards, perfect moment, broadsided... but saw his eyes, and in a split second saw his entire hard life, he was old and thin than your 2 year old buck, a little spike and a 2 pointer... i didn't shoot him. i decided to spare his life...in hopes of getting a better one. for my first buck ever. the interesting thing here is that from this point on when I decided to leave after a 6 hr stalk i was hungry, i was making lots of noise and the deer did not perceived me as a threat, i mean i could meander with them in the forest and they just carry on like nothing is around them i think you get embedded in the space for so long that they believe is not possible for a threat to be there.

also on this day i spotted 2 wolfs! one was like 10 yards and then he saw me and just jumped scared, i was scouting an area on which i saw some does

fourth day out i spotter a 2 pointer nice size, same thing once they bed i can get quite close, i like being transparent, scent free also, silent clothing is a must, and the rain makes the leafs silent to the step with this 4 day hunt i got my instincts in line with my expectations, i did not had a kill nevertheless i do enjoy the stalk process, so many decisions so little time...

still have the late season bow hunt ahead! will post picts of my kill(s) once they happen

nuadixion
10-31-2012, 04:56 PM
sonofa!.....you are good.....10yd stalk is impressive; but dont get too personal with your prey :)

Hombre
10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Good for you in capturing the spirit of the hunt.Sounds like you have mastered the patience part.

kennyj
10-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Sounds like you're having fun out there. The number one priority.
kenny

trapperRick
10-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Sounds like you are on the right road have fun

deer nut
10-31-2012, 08:13 PM
They only deer that don't have a hard life are the pampered ones in the urban areas where you're not allowed to hunt them! Good story but you'd better not "anthropomorphise" (sp.?) like that or you'll never be able to bring yourself to drop one! :wink:

elcazador
11-01-2012, 05:30 PM
They only deer that don't have a hard life are the pampered ones in the urban areas where you're not allowed to hunt them! Good story but you'd better not "anthropomorphise" (sp.?) like that or you'll never be able to bring yourself to drop one! :wink:

agree, there are deer that have not been pampered and they look good, big, solid, all buff. but don't take me wrong, if I'm shooting one i hope to be a nice healthy looking one, that one wasn't that is why i didn't shoot, what i did was to to pull my bow loaded to see his reaction with the noise and the movement, he didn't even blink, the doe and the little one who where 2 yards in front of him jumped.