PDA

View Full Version : Would you shoot a high fence bison?

10-31-2012, 12:39 PM
For meat, hide and skull, would you shoot a ranch bision ?

Blacktail 270
10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Yes I would and have. Great meat and the hide is an amazing rug. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity.

The Dawg
10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Yup. No probs there.

Rodd
10-31-2012, 12:51 PM
You bet! Why not, at least you got a tractor to help with the chores... lol

pnbrock
10-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Let do it I can't wait !!!

Mikey Rafiki
10-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Certainly. More of a harvest than a hunt but you know that going into it.

allan
10-31-2012, 01:10 PM
If its a high fence animal, I'd rather just take him to the plant live and let them deal with all the blood guts and mess. I'd just stop by to pick up all my boxed meat when it was ready and be done with it.
(but if your gonna shoot high fence animals, get the rancher or owner to grain feed them for the last 6-12 weeks before slaughter, it makes the meat way better!)

10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
If its a high fence animal, I'd rather just take him to the plant live and let them deal with all the blood guts and mess. I'd just stop by to pick up all my boxed meat when it was ready and be done with it.
(but if your gonna shoot high fence animals, get the rancher or owner to grain feed them for the last 6-12 weeks before slaughter, it makes the meat way better!)

Yeah...it doesn't work like that. You can buy cut and wrapped bison sides, but the final cost equals ~$12.50 pound. Shooting one on a ranch will cost $3-5/pound. Plus you would have to purchase the skull and cape separately, if that was also something you wanted.

rocksteady
10-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Certainly. More of a harvest than a hunt but you know that going into it.

agreed.......

Seeadler
10-31-2012, 01:27 PM
If I got a deal on it, say less than $2/lb.

Blainer
10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
I was hunting moose up North a few years back when a similiar opportunity for Bison presented itself.
$300 was the cost,needless to say,450 lbs in the freezer.
I shot,transported to butcher and paid butcher cost's.
I might add,I harvested a moose that trip,my partner and I split 875lbs of meat that trip.

Jetboat
10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
One of my nieghbours raises bison on his ranch and we've gone over and helped slaughter several over the years. Nothing like a silage oat bale fed young cow for the freezer :)

The Dawg
10-31-2012, 01:58 PM
I was hunting moose up North a few years back when a similiar opportunity for Bison presented itself.
$300 was the cost,needless to say,450 lbs in the freezer.
I shot,transported to butcher and paid butcher cost's.

PLEASE send me details of where!

Gateholio
10-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I kill our own livestock for meat, so I don't see what problem I would have with doing the same with a bison.

bigslim
10-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Absolutely, and I would wear head to toe camo doing it!!!:mrgreen:

allan
10-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah...it doesn't work like that. You can buy cut and wrapped bison sides, but the final cost equals ~$12.50 pound. Shooting one on a ranch will cost $3-5/pound. Plus you would have to purchase the skull and cape separately, if that was also something you wanted.
Well if that's what your paying I could see why, however we raised bison for years on the farm and we tried it that way but in the end it was easier to bring em live to the plant. (Plus it's way more adrenalin to load and unload something into a trailer that wants to kill you then shooting them in the field. Oh the stories I have I have doing it that way!)

BearStump
10-31-2012, 02:45 PM
where? when? and how much is it gonna cost me?

if I could fit it into a weekend, including drive time, then I could still go on my annual 8 day hunt without pissing off the wife too much. And she wont care if I come home skunked, with a hangover if the freezer is already full of Bison.:confused:

She tends to get bitchy when I leave her with the kids for a week by herself, then come home with no meat.

patbrennan
10-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Anybody have some current pricing and location(s)? As an alternative to beef I'd think about it, but it sure wouldn't be "hunting".

Wild Images
10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
wouldn't mount one, but have eaten a few and they are awesome !

Gateholio
10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
You can go here and kinda hunt around thier ranch and get some meat. Might be more fun than just popping one in the head from 10 feet away.

http://www.buffalohunts.ca/

YAMMY-CA
10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
A bit like shooting ducks in a rainbarrel isn't it?--what is it a power trip?-I don't understand it-it certainly doesn't fall under the term HUNTING to me but I bet when the story comes home the animal will have been tracked and hunted for 3 days and shot at 500 yards when infact it was shot at 25 feet in a pen.IMHO

bowhunterbruce
10-31-2012, 03:45 PM
i would absolutly love any opertunity to harvest one, especially with a bow. up close and personal is an experience i would welcome.
bhb

d6dan
10-31-2012, 03:54 PM
You bet. I have and i would do it again. I shot one in 2004 and he weighed in @ 947lbs on the hook. We used my friends tractor to carry it over to the gut pit for skinning etc, and then put it on the trailer. :-D

Shooting a high fenced Bison is hell of alot cheaper than hunting the pink mtn herd.

Boner
10-31-2012, 03:54 PM
I would love to if the price was under $1.25 a pound live weight.

Mr. Dean
10-31-2012, 04:05 PM
A bit like shooting ducks in a rainbarrel isn't it?--what is it a power trip?-I don't understand it-it certainly doesn't fall under the term HUNTING to me but I bet when the story comes home the animal will have been tracked and hunted for 3 days and shot at 500 yards when infact it was shot at 25 feet in a pen.IMHO

More like shooting a Buff, out in the backyard. :lol:

It is what it is and ain't no big deal,IMO.
How much and where do I sign up?

BearStump
10-31-2012, 04:40 PM
No body called it "hunting". It would simply be a legal harvest of free range organic meat. I'd love to dump one and experience skinning and processing an animal that size.
I know that I shot an elk, and 2 mulies last season, and still ran out of meat by July this year. I hate buying meat at safeway. Dont think that'd happen if I took a Bison.

Mr. Dean
10-31-2012, 04:50 PM
A bit like shooting ducks in a rainbarrel isn't it?--what is it a power trip?-

Power is having one of these elusive creatures in your collection. :lol:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC4544_Mr_Dean_web.jpg

Not everything is about ego and larger penis's ------------------> :rolleyes:

RiverOtter
10-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Weasel skull....??

The Dude
10-31-2012, 06:41 PM
I would do it, but only at 640 Yards or more with a .17 HMR.

Only THEN would it feel like hunting.

rifleman
10-31-2012, 07:10 PM
only for the meat. if it wasn,t to expensive.

Sofa King
10-31-2012, 07:34 PM
shooting a penned animal is pathetic.
that's definitely not hunting in any way.

and why waste meat with a gun, use a bow.

The Dude
10-31-2012, 07:37 PM
I've shot cows and horses........what's pathetic. It's not a hunt, so I didn't call my taxidermist :D

10-31-2012, 07:37 PM
I did not ask if people would "hunt" a ranch bison, but rather "shoot" a ranch bison. There is a big difference in perspective.

I am thinking I may shoot one this winter if I can still see the bottom of my freezer at the end of November (half a stone sheep and half a caribou won't last long). I just don't like buying regular beef in the store, and organic/free range beef is expensive. Plus I've always wanted a bison cape and skull.

Anybody else possibly interested in trip to Alberta to get a bison or two this winter?? Send me a PM
'

Gateholio
10-31-2012, 07:48 PM

I'd never use a bow to kill livestock. Much faster to shoot them in the head. Nothing pathetic about it, it's just getting meat.

10-31-2012, 07:50 PM

I agree it would be pathetic to shoot a ranch animal and then brag about the hunting prowess involved in its kill. But I don't think shooting a ranched bison in itself is pathetic. It's a legal, reasonable and relatively cost effective way to fill the freezer with premium meat.

If one argues that it's pathetic to kill ranch animals, that would mean that ranching itself is pathetic? Is it not better to kill an animal on its range, in a non-stressed environment, rather than running it through chutes while the smell of the blood of its peers fills it with terror??

I do not think shooting a ranch animal is hunting, any more than butchering chickens is hunting, but I don't think it's wrong or pathetic.

Ambush
10-31-2012, 08:41 PM
I'd never use a bow to kill livestock. Much faster to shoot them in the head.

I can tell you from experience that a bow is a bunch more funner. But then I only shoot "wild' domestic animals.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/00916.JPG

r106
10-31-2012, 09:00 PM

With that savings then hell ya. I would go shoot my own cow too, if I could get it for 1/3 the price. and I don't care if the fence is 12' high. As almost everyone here has said it's not a hunt it's just harvesting meat.

r106
10-31-2012, 09:07 PM

wow strong words. Don't be so narrow minded

It's pathetic if your thinking your hunting while doing it. But there is nothing wrong with shooting domestic game for meat. The only difference from taking it to a slaughter house is a bullet vs bolt gun. To TROPHY hunt fenced game is a different story.

finngun
10-31-2012, 09:08 PM
no i dont shoot bison.. too big animal ..away too much work--i'm lazy bugger..all day work for 25 seconds fun...and bison burgers--steake-kebab-etc. etc next 365 days..blaah:mrgreen:

nap
10-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Voted no for 2 reasons only, just because of what fenced wild animals are prone to get and second I think beef is better eating.

allan
10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Voted no for 2 reasons only, just because of what fenced wild animals are prone to get and second I think beef is better eating.
I like beef steaks better, but grain fed bison meat rocks.
My life is too busy to shoot em and clean em. If you can get good quality meat that way great.
My favorite is to BBQ whole tenderloins then cut them into steaks. I've noticed no difference in old vs young animals. We used to take only the prime cuts. Steaks, roasts and such and turn the rest into burger patties. Pure no additives. We could crank out about 1200 1/4lb patties an hour in our kitchen/shop.

scottwh
10-31-2012, 10:13 PM
I would shoot a meat buffalo for sure. Wouldnt call it hunting. But when I get a beef from a friends ranch that happens to get head shot, I dont call that hunting either.. Its good health to have a variety of meat in a full freezer :)

Steeleco
10-31-2012, 10:17 PM
I voted no, but not because it's a farm animal, I don't like the meat enough to warranty paying for it.

leadpillproductions
11-01-2012, 12:38 AM
I voted maybe all depends on cost. Would love to have the meat that's for sure

Mr. Dean
11-01-2012, 01:06 AM

You'd hate it when I shoot rabbits that are on leashes.......

Mr. Dean
11-01-2012, 01:14 AM
I just did a 3way on a side of Bison.
Cut/wrapped, it came to nearly 13oo clams.

If I do it again, it will be in the style doing it myself - Killing AND cutting.
Whats the best way to coax one into taking a lead????

boxhitch
11-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Getting home with a bunch of plastic tubs of de-boned meat, and a fresh head borrowed from some buds moose he got = priceless

a side of Bison.
Cut/wrapped, it came to nearly 13oo clams.$1300 ?

The Dude
11-01-2012, 05:42 AM
I just did a 3 way on a side of Bison......If I do it again, it will be in the style doing it myself...

Gets pretty lonely in Langley does it, Deano? :D

hunter1947
11-01-2012, 06:34 AM
I would shoot a fenced Bison if the price was right.

About 7 years ago we went to the farmer that was selling fixed up chain saws wee where headed up to Huston BC for a LEH moose hunt ,,this farmer said you want a bison you go pick one out and shoot it there where around 20 in the herd.

The farmer said if you do want one it will coast you $500.00 he said you come back in two hours after you shoot it and will be cleaned and skinned out ready to go.

We said thats a good deal but we are going up after a moose ,,thanks but no thanks we did get our bull moose..

bearhunter338-06
11-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Marlin 336RC in 35 Rem 75 yards open sight bang drop. Meat for 2 families. Yes I have and will shoot a fenced bison for meat. Hell the rancher even drove us out into the field on his tractor. maybe I was on a safari. :mrgreen:

bugler
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I do like the meat so I would shoot one just like I would any beef cow, as part of the process of bringing it to the table. Wouldn't consider it any sort of hunt though.

dana
11-01-2012, 08:10 PM
My freezer is never empty enough to make me even pay $1 a pound. Fresh organic wild meat is almost free. Take your kids hunting and watch your freezer magically fill up. :)

bforce750
11-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Even an Leh bison hunt wouldnt be that much of a thrill anyway...drive for days spending thousands on the whole trip just to shoot a dumb bison that just stands there , Id rather spend a day and a 1/5th of the cost and shoot one on a ranch lol

moose2
11-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I think its a hunt I would pass on.
The best part of hunting to me is not knowing whats around the corner. I get a feeling of accomplishment when I do get an animal I am after. I do choose cow elk over bulls for the meat quality, but I would be lying if I said I get as pumped up hunting them. I think a high fence hunt for me would almost be opposite of what I enjoy about hunting. I wouldn't knock anyone for doing it, it's just not for me.
Mike

11-02-2012, 07:47 AM
I think its a hunt I would pass on.
The best part of hunting to me is not knowing whats around the corner. I get a feeling of accomplishment when I do get an animal I am after. I do choose cow elk over bulls for the meat quality, but I would be lying if I said I get as pumped up hunting them. I think a high fence hunt for me would almost be opposite of what I enjoy about hunting. I wouldn't knock anyone for doing it, it's just not for me.
Mike

I think the problem that people have is that they think I asked if they would "hunt" a ranch bison. That was never the question. Killing a ranch bison for meat and hide is not hunting.

moose2
11-02-2012, 09:34 AM
325 (#@%)
Sorry I read this post wrong. It's been mentioned on here, that cape and skull would be part of the package. This is what gave me the impresion that some would see this as hunting. I have never heard of people asking to shoot thier own beef cow so they could mount the head and save the hide as well as keeping the meat. I went in on a couple ranch bison for meat over the years, but they were skinned and quartered and sold by the half. The same rancher would also sell the hide and head seperatly as well. This is option that we all would have, so assumed that making the choice to shoot your own, would be based on a personal intrest in hunting.
Mike

ratherbefishin
11-02-2012, 09:41 AM
if my freezer wasn't full of moose,and I had the chance to take a bison for the meat at a reasonable price,I'd do it.As for ''sport'' hunting vs high fence ''ranch'' hunting-my neighbour had an LEH draw for a ''wild'' bison, and he said it wasn't much ''sport''at all-locate the herd,stalk up to about 60 yards-and put a 338 bullet behind the shoulders,and get to work.I didn't save the hide from the moose-and the only reason I brought the antlers home was because the antlers must accompany the carcass-so not having the skin or skull from the bison wouldn't matter much.What WOULD be a huge benefit would be having the equipment to raise the bison for gutting and skinning and quartering.

11-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I inquired about buying a half bison cut and wrapped, but the price ended-up about $12.50/ pund, which is a lot more than the cost per pound to shoot your own. I could, however, buy a beef cut and wrapped for about the same cost per pound as shooting a bison, but we try to limit our consumption of beef for health reasons. Also, competely aside from hunting, I would like to have a bison skull and hide, simply because I think they're cool....kinda like antique lever guns.

moose2
11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
We were paying between $400.oo and $600.oo for a three to four year old cow skinned and quartered, and cutting was another $400.oo it worked out too about $2 per pound. We also had to pick up for that price so fuel costs may ad another 30 cents a pound for us. This was meat only no hide or head about 8 years ago in Fort St John.
Mike

Mr. Dean
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
The same rancher would also sell the hide and head seperatly as well. This is option that we all would have, so assumed that making the choice to shoot your own, would be based on a personal intrest in hunting.

I would prefer it done on my terms just so I know that my food has been dealt with appropriately - I really don't understand why people think that there HAS to be more to it, than that. :confused:

FWIW. People like skulls and will buy them. I know many-a-person that don't hunt, yet they display a set of horns in their flower beds, etc, just because they LIKE them.
And I actually remember a tanned cow hide that served as a area rug, for a bedroom in a rustic cabin that our family had, when I was a Little Wee Tot.

Souvenirs do not need too constitute *Trophies*.

In fact, that term confuses me even when it comes to mounts...
I've never heard yet of a Stamp Collector, needing to justify *why* he likes his stamps...... :rolleyes:

wsm
11-02-2012, 12:01 PM
My freezer is never empty enough to make me even pay $1 a pound. Fresh organic wild meat is almost free. Take your kids hunting and watch your freezer magically fill up. :)my kid is only 5 . find it tough to get out very often with all his activities , otherwise i agree

Fraink
11-06-2012, 02:26 PM
I got skunked this year, looking at pricing out a bison. Can someone PM me with a phone # if you know a rancher that is selling off bison?

Rock Doctor
11-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I've taken several, both Wild and Ranch, Both with a bow and with a rifle. So Ya, I'd shoot another ranch Bison. Anyone that thinks the wild ones are more of a challenge is deluding themselves. The wild ones are much easier to sneak up on. With rifles, it really makes no difference...... Across the valley or across the field, meh, same difference.

RD

Paulyman
11-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I would like to go in on a Bison with a couple of other guys if anyone here is interested. Where can one go harvest one of these High Fence Bison's? P.M me if you're interested.

1 shot 1 kill
11-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I personally wouldnt shoot one no...like Dana said ealier my freezer is never empty in the past 25yrs of hunting, I enjoy my time out in the bush looking, learning and exploring to much to take a fenced animal. I have always had great success in my adventures, and the very few times I didnt, i was still happy just to have been out there.
I don't knock anyone that does harvest one! for me it just isnt an option I am willing to take..

David Heitsman
11-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I think I'd just buy some buffalo steaks and roasts from the local butcher shop. I'm sure it'd be way cheaper, but then, I've allready mounted a couple free range buffs allready so don't have any interest in the hide, skull or cape. A friend of mine killed a high fence bull in SK this fall and remarked that it was quite a bit more challenging than he had anticipated.

GoatGuy
11-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Sure, just don't call it hunting and don't support Shooting Caged In

Mr. Dean
11-07-2012, 02:59 PM
I personally wouldnt shoot one no...like Dana said ealier my freezer is never empty in the past 25yrs of hunting, I enjoy my time out in the bush looking, learning and exploring to much to take a fenced animal. I have always had great success in my adventures, and the very few times I didnt, i was still happy just to have been out there.
I don't knock anyone that does harvest one! for me it just isnt an option I am willing to take..

Being where I'm at and the actual time that I can invest into my hunting activities, coupled with the type of hunting I do/like, I come up emptied handed more times than not.

An animal like this buffaroo would be greatly apperciated.