PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Barrel Protection

pennel
10-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Is there anything in the market to protect a rifle barrel (stainless steel) from knocks,rust etc.
I have a barrel with some very small pits on the outside that show up as rust spots if not treated.
Normally I just clean the barrel and put a layer of oil on it afterwards, but would prefer something
a bit more durable.
Thanks

brian
10-31-2012, 11:48 AM
you can wax it just like a car, reapply as necessary.

whitlers
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
I use a silicon rag. Works good

Walkntalk
10-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Militec-1 is sold as being a highly penetrating oil. Supposed to bond to metal and provide lube even when the metal is dry. I have noted a HUGE difference after using it on my blued barrel this year instead of Hoppes elite oil.

Apply in summer and let rifle sit out in the sun & get good n hot so oil gets very light & works into metal pores (allegedly). Military & police use it.

Mail order from Brownell's.

As for pits ... I figure "ding happens" when I'm crawling up slopes and over rocks.

YAMMY-CA
10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Contact Corlanes Sports in Dawson Creek [Rocky mtn Rifles] they can apply teflon or better powder coat the barrle for you and the probs are over

RiverOtter
10-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Tough to beat good old Rem-Oil with teflon. Can't remember the last time I've had to "remove" rust....

BCRiverBoater
11-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I have had some rifles tefloned and it looks good and does not require oiling but it is not very durable. It rubs off overtime and even chips. If going to Corlanes do the Powder Coating for sure!!!

.330 Dakota
11-01-2012, 07:42 PM
High quality stainless shouldnt rust or pit,,,

Johnny G1
11-01-2012, 09:00 PM
High quality stainless shouldnt rust or pit,,, My exact thought's at the start of this posting, ain't got any rust on my guns and one is coming up 92 yrs old and another one is 74 yrs old, why do guns rust, do you leave them outside all the time and never clean them?????

YAMMY-CA
11-16-2012, 08:16 PM
I have had some rifles tefloned and it looks good and does not require oiling but it is not very durable. It rubs off overtime and even chips. If going to Corlanes do the Powder Coating for sure!!!

Absolutely agree with the powder coating even tho a bit costly-Corlane Sports and their Rocky Mountain Rifle division is a well kept trade secret.I first shoped Corlane's in 1972 and if I want something above and beyond that is where I go

pennel
11-17-2012, 09:06 AM
First of all thanks for the responses to my question.
The gun in question is a new Sako 85.I phoned up Stoeger ( Canadian importer) and explained the problem.
When I told them that I didn't expect this from a Sako I was told that the quality and manufacturing process of stainless steel barrels was the same regardless of which make of gun.
In other words, the quality is no better or worse (surprising).
Anyway ,they told me to ship it back when hunting season is finished (now is) and I'll see what happens.
Just to lay a couple of thoughts to rest-the gun has never ever been put away wet or abused in any way.
Have a good mind to just bring it back to WSS and let them deal with it as that's where I bought it.
If all else fails then the powder coating at Corlane Sports seems an option, but you shouldn't need to go down that road with a new gun (bought in Feb.)
Once again, thanks for your input especially the tip for Corlane Sports.

Gateholio
11-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Remove the rust with some superfine steel wool, coat it with some protective oil or wax from time to time and don't worry about it. Stainless rifles are designed to get knocked around a bit. Most of them get a bit of rust every now and then if they get used. I strip mine down at the end of the season, clean them up and that's it. They get virtually no attention during hunting season, nor do they need it.

dutchie
11-17-2012, 05:50 PM
High quality stainless shouldnt rust or pit,,,

Stainless Steel is still a Ferrous Steel... so it will still rust. The Nickle and Chrome content will determin the amount of rust that can take place. If the oxide layer of the Nickle, Chrome, Molydenum, titanium ect... is scratched then the Fe will be exposed and oxidization of the Ferrite will take place.

Just like Bridges, They alloy copper into the High strenghth steel to make a oxide layer that will protect it from rust... Look at any Green bridge and that is a Copper Oxide layer.

And for the "pores" pr grain structure to open, the temperature of the steel needs to be up near 650 degrees F... the sun will not do this.

With that being said.... CeraKote is your best friend! I have 3 guns Cerakoted and it is impossible to scratch or remove!!! I have tried with everything other then a hacksaw and a file!

Dutchie

Dutchie