View Full Version : Heated dog bed/mat

BRvalley
10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm looking for a heated dog bed/mat to put in the dog house (-25 today)

I've been through 2 already and one I don't think ever worked and the second doesn't heat enough to do any good what so ever, complete waste of money and hesitant to order anything online again

I'm surprised how hard it is to find a heated bed with any type of control over the heat level

does anybody have any recommendations?

I'll probably just end up going with a heated blanket, but was concerned about him chewing it up

thanks.

dale-j
10-31-2012, 11:06 AM
If you can find an old waterbed at a garage sale, buy the heating element (that goes under the water bladder) and control. You will need to put it under something, but it is sealed and designed for a potentially wet environment and I have successfully used them to control fermentation temps when making wine, can't see how it would not produce enough heat for what you want to do. Cheap and effective, if not elegant.

Cheers,

Steve

anotherone
10-31-2012, 11:12 AM
buy a heating blanket---$100 - $140 for a single bed to a king bed. thats all ya need. they will fold and fit inside the zip up dog beds you can buy

Duidery
10-31-2012, 11:41 AM
I lay straw down in my insulated dog house. So far it has keep the dogs warm enough. When it starts to get really cold I plan on putting a small heat lamp inside to warm up the dog house just that lit bit.

Foxton Gundogs
10-31-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm looking for a heated dog bed/mat to put in the dog house (-25 today)

I've been through 2 already and one I don't think ever worked and the second doesn't heat enough to do any good what so ever, complete waste of money and hesitant to order anything online again

I'm surprised how hard it is to find a heated bed with any type of control over the heat level

does anybody have any recommendations?

I'll probably just end up going with a heated blanket, but was concerned about him chewing it up

thanks.

Not a good Idea. Dogs chew, they also dig and scratch before laying down very high potential for a zapped pooch. if you are in cold climate the best option is a double walled insplated dog box with a 60 W bulb in it covered by a bug tin can with holes in it painted black with BBQ paint. warmth and no danger. I've used them in Cassiar, PG, and the Cariboo work great

FirePower
10-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Times 2 on the light bulb heater, anything electrical where a dog can chew or scratch through the insolation is a recipe for tragity

BRvalley
10-31-2012, 02:30 PM
I built him a good dog house, floor is 8" off the ground, with floor, walls and roof insluated with roxol r22, wrapped in tyvek, some of that spray foam insulation to take care of any seam drafts anywhere

hindsign is 20/20 and i should've made the roof on hinges....i may just have to remove the roof, add a light with wire covering and reassemble with hinges

Ijust thought it would be better to heat from the floor with a mat, direct heat for him to lay on, he's still a tiny guy so can't imagine his body heat alone keeping him warm in there

thanks for the tips

Foxton Gundogs
10-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Lots of straw or hay on the floor, and I ment a BIG can not a BUG cab(what ever the hell that islol) I use a big tomato juce tin, I cut it about 2" in and 2" apart at the open end and bent the tabs 90 degrees to the can to have something to fasten it with I place mine at the top rear side. A removeable roof is always good and a vent or you may end up with an ice build up inside. Remember the steam you are trying to keep in is water vapor and will freze prety quick at -20

BRvalley
10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
yep, got a few vent holes for the moisture, below the roof on the front side, so I can face the rear end of the house into the prevailing wind

by the way foxton, I did order that kenneth roebuck book you recommended, just arrived yesterday

Foxton Gundogs
10-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Cool good reading, good luck

boxhitch
11-01-2012, 05:23 AM
I built a dog house out of five exterior doors bought at a local used shop. four for the long sides, half of one for each end. added length helps keep heat in, wind out,
and room for me when I need to hide out.

light bulbs are actually very inefficient heat sources, but handy.

check out Princess Auto for a good heated mat
princessauto.com/pal/product/8134108/Pet-Mat/17-x-24-in.-Heated-Pet-Mat