PDA

View Full Version : Samson does it again!

Lozzie
10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Well, I was at home watching some TV with the wife when the phone rang. It was a good buddy, he had been trying to get a hold of me but I had turned off the ringer on my phone. A little flustered he told me he had shot a buck with his bow but he knew the shot wasn't the best. He tracked the animal for about 60 yards through the bush trying for a second shot but had lost the blood trail as it started to drizzle. It had been a few hours since the animal was shot so we decided to grab my dog Samson and a headlamp and make a serious recovery effort. Samson's record is 3-0 for deer retrieval so I had every confidence in him leading us to the animal. We made our way up into the area where my friend had lost the blood trail, Sam's nose had hit the ground long before that and off we went him dragging me through the scrub. Through the slash, across a hill, down through a bunch of broom, up another hill it seemed like we were moving a mile a minute and he was hot on it' s trail. When we had travelled approximately 400-500 yards from where my friend had lost the trail I could see his confidence waining in my dog. All of a sudden we come through some broom and he goes "Holy crap, did you see all this blood right here?" I said" Yeah, I know. Sam is on him". We came to a grassy area and I could see the dog looked a little confused, we walked up a bluff and down a path a ways and I could see his nose was more in the air than on the ground. "He's lost the scent we need to go back to that grassy area" I said. We went back and as soon as we hit the grass he picked up the scent again and we off again in a different direction. Up a hill, through the bush, down into a valley etc. and then we come through a stream in a flat area with some piles of dirt. The dog tracks up and down the dirt piles then cuts between two of the them. I turn my head to the left and see the deer's eyes looking back at me. He is bedded down, still alive but fatally wounded. Buddy puts another quick shot in him, he springs up runs downhill 10 yards and soon after expires. My very thankful friend is awestruck by Samson's abilities and the fact that he never made a sound during the whole pursuit. My dog got a lot of appreciation from both of us, especially considering the terrain and the tremendous distance the deer had covered. A quick gut job and drag out to the road and we were back on our way home. It took the dog about a half hour to get us to the deer and the entire endeavour took around 2 1/2 hours including travel time. I'm truly proud of my dog, he's this man's best friend and the best dog I've ever owned.:-D

avadad
10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
That is great. Good on ya Samson!!! He has earned his keep! Sounds like you have yourself an exceptional pooch. Lucky you.

Big Lew
10-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Love to read stories like yours....great job done by both the dog and you.

Shooter
10-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Great story.. What kind of dog is Samson?

yamadirt 426
10-30-2012, 09:41 PM
aww man that is sweet. Post a pic of Samson. Love to see him. Congrats on a great retrieve ! You could make some good money on that dog. Take some bets next time

Ozone
How about a picture of the pup?

Lozzie
He's a Black Lab/ Border Collie mix. In my opinion he's got the best traits of both breeds.

Lozzie
10-30-2012, 09:54 PM
He's a Black Lab/ Border Collie mix. In my opinion he's got the best traits of both breeds.

Lozzie
10-30-2012, 09:56 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/webkit-fake-url://62C8FA28-705F-4C7B-A31D-A4A7F5B903A2/image.tiff

Lozzie
10-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Tried to, didn't really work. I can email it if someone can post it for me.

How about a picture of the pup?

Brambles
10-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Great to hear, i like stories like this!! im gonna try and find a dog with a good drive for tracking for my next pup.

Lozzie
10-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Pictures of Samson are now in the Gallery but I can't figure how to post them.

Paulyman
10-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Let's see a pic of the champ!

kennyj
10-31-2012, 05:28 AM
Looks and sounds like an awesome dog. I tried to post your photo for you but it won't work.
kenny

Lozzie
10-31-2012, 06:57 AM
There's a few pictures of him in the hunt bc gallery. I'm not technologically advanced enough to figure out how to post them.

Looks and sounds like an awesome dog. I tried to post your photo for you but it won't work.
kenny

bowhunterbruce
10-31-2012, 07:09 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/sam_the_hunter.JPG (javascript:;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/STP60522_4.jpg

Lozzie
10-31-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks Bowhunter Bruce. Maybe someone should write a tutorial for dummies on how to post pics on HBC. Unless of course it already exists and I just don't know about it.

hotload
10-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Great work with your good looking pup. Nice to see a hard fought recovery on an otherwise lost animal.

MB_Boy
10-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks Bowhunter Bruce. Maybe someone should write a tutorial for dummies on how to post pics on HBC. Unless of course it already exists and I just don't know about it.

There are more than a few in this section of the forum.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?20-Bugs-and-Glitches

BigSlapper
10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Steak dinner for Sampson !!!!! .... a share in the backstraps perhaps?
Well done.

Lozzie
10-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Samson and his sister Delilah ( Lilah ) always gets some good treats after a hunt. Actually, my wife told me when Sam and I left the house the other night Lilah went and got her leash brought it to the door and started wimpering. She was really pissed that she was left behind, oh well a woman scorned I guess?

spreerider
11-01-2012, 05:28 PM
awsome story, i would love to try my dog at tracking, he has never had to go that far but found every bird i have ever dropped even a few still alive run aways.

Buck
11-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Great job Samson.it,s very rewarding to recover an otherwise lost animal.