PDA

View Full Version : 1st Pheasant - how to cook????

mklaver
10-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi All - I got hooked on bird hunting as an invite to a dove hunting trip in Yuma AZ 2 years ago, and then came home and became a waterfowl hunter. So I was out in the rain this afternoon looking for ducks and didn't drop any, but wound up with my first pheasant.

Question is - now how to cook it? Anybody have luck just plucking and roasting like a chicken, or is it too tough and gamey?

Or, like waterfowl, is marinating and/or sauces the way to go?

Cheers,

Michael

pnbrock
10-30-2012, 08:16 PM
where you find a pheasant?

mklaver
10-30-2012, 08:35 PM
where you find a pheasant?

Delta..........

pnbrock
10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
hmmm were you hunting associated property?

mklaver
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
not at all. East Delta. Public land. Why would you assume that?????

pnbrock
10-30-2012, 08:44 PM
lots of assoc property in east delta ,not much of a wild population with the coyote population is all.

Angus
10-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Seen plenty of assc birds on non-assc leased fields in Delta.

mklaver
10-30-2012, 08:48 PM
lots of assoc property in east delta ,not much of a wild population with the coyote population is all.
One less with me out there now......:-D Just about hit one with my car leaving my site, so I guess the coyotes didn't get 'em all......
Pure public land is where I was- so what the heck is "Associated land"? I thought you were talking Westham.....

boxhitch
10-30-2012, 09:59 PM
First time tasting ? Forget the fancy over-spiced recipes, cut in chunks for gentle pan frying, and taste the real thing IMO
When you don't like that, then go goormay with the next one.

Foxton Gundogs
10-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Here you go enjoy... http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?30562-What-s-for-dinner/page63

xfactor
10-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Do the birds released by associated wear name tags?? lol?

FirePower
10-31-2012, 12:10 PM
They are banded in Alberta. We dont hunt them here, as stated the coyotes and ferral cats are hard enough on them, no disrespect intended toward those who do, we do love them for training how ever.

mklaver
10-31-2012, 02:02 PM
They are banded in Alberta. We dont hunt them here, as stated the coyotes and ferral cats are hard enough on them, no disrespect intended toward those who do, we do love them for training how ever.

Thank you for this FirePower - I had no idea about Associated Land and/or birds - tried to get a previous poster who raised the issue to give me a bit more info since I wasn't aware of what he was talking about, but ignored my post asking this and a PM I sent asking the question in case he was more comfortable answering "off-line"- he got the info he was looking for from me and then buggered off - thanks for his thoughtful, meaningful contributions to this thread........

For those of you who actually added to the conversation - many thanks. :-D That's was this board is here for........

For the record - the bird I dropped was bandless - a fairly mature cock, based on the prominant spurs.

pnbrock
10-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Is that an attempt to call me out?

mklaver
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Is that an attempt to call me out?

Taken "off-line", where it belongs........

10-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Watch out, if you cook them too much, just like any grouse type bird they will dry right out. If you have never had one maybe just cut it into strips and fry it in some light seasoning. Just so you can get the full flavor of what they are like. If you stuff it in the oven i like to roll up bacon then tooth pick it to the breast and cook covered.. i call that "Auto basting". I have only had a couple phesant but i have cooked a bucket load of grouse.... same cooking instructions apply....

personally id go pan fry with light seasoning to get the full flavor of the bird.

The Dawg
10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
[
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0zZ0VdlUM

xfactor
10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Nope, all I'm saying is how would you know if it was wild or released?

Dano
10-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Nope, all I'm saying is how would you know if it was wild or released?

When I belonged to Local Hunters Club, they put a leg band on their birds. That club is a preserve, they can hunt pheasants as late as march I believe. In general, "wild" birds have mature looking plumage. Associated releases birds during the pheasant season, any birds that survive until the next season will be "wild" looking birds when encountered.
Nice going on finding a pheasant out there, wild or released it's tough to find them on public land. And once released birds get off private land they are fair game. I haven't shot one off a preserve in over a decade!
Dan

xfactor
10-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Gotcha. Thanks, leg band makes sense:)

Candocad
10-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Back to the subject of cooking...........

I think the Italian's know the most about about wild game cooking when it comes to cusinue. I bought (at an expense a couple of books by the the River Cafe. (English chef's, with a modern take on Italian recipes.)

It is simply the best for any form of game, and I would recommend them without reservation.

Search the internet for cheap versions, they have been out for 6=8 years now, so should be heavily discounted if you look around.

Worth it. It transformed my cooking of all game.

Candocad.

slyfox
11-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Any pheasant on crown land is fair game shoot it.

slyfox
11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
I have taken many pheasant over the years hard to tell the diff from wild or farmed birds not many wild birds around the Fraser valley anyways.

Panic
12-01-2012, 11:39 AM
How long will you be hanging it? Remember that in the current season 7 days will be the same as 1-2 days of temperate weather. Personally, a week in the shed is the longest I'd go but i've known guy that wait til its green before cooking :eek:

Panic
12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Lol, never mind...just saw how long ago you posted....guwssing its long eaten now :)

bc_archer
03-17-2013, 08:01 AM
I have shot many pheasant over the years and my favourite way of cooking them is to pluck them and roast them whole. Cook low and slow to keep moist and flavour with a bit of pepper. You can also use Rosemary, Thyme or Sage if you want...add salt after cooked so you don't draw out all the juices. If you skin the bird (makes a great cape for decoration or fly tying) then add a few strips of bacon on top to keep it moist. Smoke cooking works well too.

taurus
03-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Wrap with bacon strips,salt and pepper, cover with foil, in oven at 350 for 1 hour.