PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 alpine 5x4 Buck

Andrewh
10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Well my buddy and I are two for two in this little area somewhere in region 8. Two weeks ago Matty took a nice 4x4 out of the same area and this weekend it was my turn. His thread is here and I shot mine about 100yrds from where his hit the ground. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?87832-Region-8-Buck

We went up for a few days and it happened on the last morning. On Friday and Saturday it was snowing and blowing like crazy, viz was terrible except in the timber. On my morning hunt Saturday I was able to get my crosshairs on a nice little spiker at about 100 yrds but the viz was terrible. I was 98% sure it was a buck but I couldn't take the shot with 100% confidence so I let him walk. He was standing right in front of some buck brush and not moving so seeing the spikes was too tough even through my 14x Zeiss (damn snow!!!!).

That night was pretty unproductive other than freezing out butts off waiting in our night hunt perches. The 4 of us ended up back at camp after dark and exchanged stories from the day and all the close calls.

The next morning it was like a totally different area, great viz, fresh snow, and a little sun with broken blue skies. The only issue was the 30mph wind!!! We left out camp before sunrise and all went our different ways in the snow lit alpine. I was in shock at the difference between the two days before and this morning. Anyway, after about a 20 minute hike I got myself into my little secret spot at the top of a basin and basically dug myself into a tree-well out of the wind so my eyes wouldn't water as I was glassing. About 45 minutes after sun-up I see a large dark object/animal walking through my basin and sure enough it was the moose that my friends and myself found last year. He is a stomper 9x9 now and looking very healthy to say the least. He drank from a creek broadside for about 5 minutes at about 125 yrds and I was just wishing it was Nov 1 when our successful LEH draw kicks in.

About an hour after that I started to make my way slowly down the side of the basin and worked my way into the clearing at the bottom. My buddy and I have the area pretty figured out and we know where the bucks like to hang out in the mornings. Sure enough with my buddy about 600yrds away on an opposite draw facing me I signal to him "buck" by holding my hands up next to my head (we were glassing each other). The moment before this I was able to spot a nice looking buck in a little timber and could definitely i.d him as a buck this time. He was standing broadside to me in a little clearing with snow as a backdraw at a little over 200yrds but with a few trees in the way. Rather than trying to thread a round through some branches I worked my way down just a little more. Sure enough it only took 15 more yrds down the slop for me and he was in the clear. I lined him up and took the shot, anchored him in his tracks...just like those Barnes Bullets commercials!

I stood up and gave myself a little fist-pump and started to make my way over to meet Matty at my buck. He saw the whole thing unfold from the opposite slope and said it was one of the coolest things he had seen while hunting. Not often can you watch a complete sequence like this from a distance.

The buck was basically a nice 4x4 with a little 2" cheater on one side to make him a 5x4, not bad though...

I should also add that when we were processing him we heard a little grunt from very close. Matty grabbed his rifle and went for a little look hoping to see the immy moose I found the week before. He ended up about 10yrd from the nice 9x9 moose, they looked at each other and gave each other a few grunts and then he slowly turned and walked away; truly a memorable experience for him.

Shot was from the slope in the background though the trees.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/hunting/DSCN0772copy.jpg

Cheater 5x4 skinned out

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/hunting/photo-1.jpg

Ready for the hike out

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/hunting/DSCN0793.jpg

dutchie
10-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Nice!!! I Love hunting there!...

I only wish I could hunt there every weekend! Nice shooting Boys!

Andrew, I still want to meet your dog!

How did Matt, Tom and Alec do?

Dutchie

coach
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Well done, guys! Congrats on a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing your pictures and story.

Good2bCanadian
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Sweet spot. Good pic of the crew, with the dog and sled.

Jelvis
10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Awesome! You fellas were really prepared and were ready to go hunting, nice buck. Makes a guy want to get out there for sure.
Thanks for the story and the great photos.
Jelman

kennyj
10-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Great story and great buck! Thanks for sharing.
kenny

ElectricDyck
10-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Nice job! Looks like you have a good crew there, including dog!

lorneparker1
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
HOW DID YOU GUYS KILL THAT WITH OUT FULL CAMO!!?!?!?!

Nice buck :)

Andrewh
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM

HAHA I know, must have been some sort of half blind buck.

moose2
10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Good job on the buck, you guys look like a moose packing crew to me. Good luck on finding your bull.
Mike

moose2
10-30-2012, 08:27 PM

Nice buck :)

Thats why it took a few days lol
Mike

Taurusguy
10-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Great looking buck there! .. congrats!

avadad
10-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Congratulations! Looks like you have a great spot. Fit looking crew as well...should do well come Nov.1. Thanks for posting.

s0ylentgreen
10-30-2012, 10:19 PM
amazing territory and hunt - inspires me.

spear
10-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Nice work, up that high at least its downhill on the way out!

rifleman
10-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Good hunt. How did the sled hold up? must of been all downhill...

Iron Glove
10-31-2012, 07:29 AM
Nice job! Looks like you have a good crew there, including dog!

It's a Nove Scotia Deer Toller, a well known Canadian breed that is used to lure deer into your sights then retrieve the deer after you pull the trigger. :wink:

Nice buck.

44inchStone
10-31-2012, 08:18 AM
That is an awsome pic of the four of you guys!!! Nothing like spending time in the mountains with your friends doing what you guys all love to do. Congrats on your well earned bucks. We're lucky we can enjoy time in "Gods Country" with our buds!!

jessonml
10-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Haha yes exactly Iron Glove. I think he might turn into a deer with all the deer fat, bone, meat, hide, hoof, etc he's been eating while we process. He buries the legs in "secret" spots near camp up there and within minutes of going back up he'll proudly have it on display for us in his mouth then spend the next few hours gnawing it down to the hoof.

hunter1947
10-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Great loking buck you got as for your story ,,thanks for posting all ,congrats..

Andrewh
10-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Good hunt. How did the sled hold up? must of been all downhill...

It has held up great, second buck it has taken out of the area (one last year in the snow too).

It is about a 1300ft drop from the alpine to the trucks so mostly downhill with a few up-hill sections. The sled makes it super easy with 4 guys.

Andrew

Iron Glove
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Haha yes exactly Iron Glove. I think he might turn into a deer with all the deer fat, bone, meat, hide, hoof, etc he's been eating while we process. He buries the legs in "secret" spots near camp up there and within minutes of going back up he'll proudly have it on display for us in his mouth then spend the next few hours gnawing it down to the hoof.

Yours does that too eh? Damn Deer Tollers ( particularly those from evil Tollchester ) will never make good hunting dogs, they eat too much of the deer.
I might use one of mine for bear bait next year. :wink:

RoscoeP
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Nice going guys! You guys look like you know what you are doing. Did you debone all the meat to get it out? Cheers Roscoe

Andrewh
10-31-2012, 08:56 AM
no deboning, no need.

We tried the gutless method of processing and we had the buck in our bags going back to camp in record time, even with the moose 'interruption'

andrew

fester
10-31-2012, 09:04 AM
good work guys!!!

Fry777
11-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Nice job Andrew!

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
11-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Nice muley buck. I like your dog.