PDA

View Full Version : Squamish blacktail hunting , this broke my heart

BC_Viking
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Well i was way up the mountain near Squamish trying to bag a buck , spent all day hiking around the old growth and glassing clear cuts .. Well i finally had enough so i walked down the mountain toward my truck , when i neared my truck about 200 yards from highway 99 i seen some movement , it was a doe and right behind her a 4 point buck!! Im so close to the highway i can see cars going by, i cant shoot unless im 400m from the highway! .. the deer see me but dont seem to care , i sat and watched them for a hour to see if they would start moving away from the road , no luck .. so i was getting cold and tired and decided to try to drive them away from the road up the hill , well they ran out of sight lol .. well at least i know there are here ..

I often see bucks down low during hunting season around Squamish but they are more than often near town or a road where they cant be shot , its like they know?

TheProvider
10-30-2012, 05:07 PM
First year living in Squamish I pulled into the walmart parking lot and a cranker of a BT went running through the parking lot. Used to be lots of deer in the lot across from the Toyota dealership before they cleared it. Have seen a few young bucks prowling the highway this week

BC_Viking
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
First year living in Squamish I pulled into the walmart parking lot and a cranker of a BT went running through the parking lot. Used to be lots of deer in the lot across from the Toyota dealership before they cleared it. Have seen a few young bucks prowling the highway this week

yep thats right , lots of deer live in the forest along the dyke in that area , one of the biggest bucks i ever seen was at the end of SVRGC rifle range lol we had to chase him off so we could shoot .

riflebuilder
10-30-2012, 05:26 PM
You can shoot them with a bow in the 400m zone

ryanb
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Well i was way up the mountain near Squamish trying to bag a buck , spent all day hiking around the old growth and glassing clear cuts .. Well i finally had enough so i walked down the mountain toward my truck , when i neared my truck about 200 yards from highway 99 i seen some movement , it was a doe and right behind her a 4 point buck!! Im so close to the highway i can see cars going by, i cant shoot unless im 400m from the highway! .. the deer see me but dont seem to care , i sat and watched them for a hour to see if they would start moving away from the road , no luck .. so i was getting cold and tired and decided to try to drive them away from the road up the hill , well they ran out of sight lol .. well at least i know there are here ..

I often see bucks down low during hunting season around Squamish but they are more than often near town or a road where they cant be shot , its like they know?

If that broke your heart this is really going to break your heart. There is no 400m restriction unless you were between West Van and Squamish...and then it isn't 400m, it's 1km...unless you're on the ocean side, then it's 400. But you said you were up the mountain so this isn't likely the case.

Pays to know the regs in the area you're hunting.

BC_Viking
10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
If that broke your heart this is really going to break your heart. There is no 400m restriction unless you were between West Van and Squamish...and then it isn't 400m, it's 1km...unless you're on the ocean side, then it's 400. But you said you were up the mountain so this isn't likely the case.

Pays to know the regs in the area you're hunting.

well even if your right the deer was 100m give or take from a very very busy highway , theres no way i could have shot without putting the highway in the line of fire .

Drillbit
10-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Seems to me you walked 400m too far. If you can't shoot 400m from the highway, why wouldn't you park 400m from the highway and not 200m? You walked 200m there&back in a no shooting zone for what, warm-up?

Couldn't back-up 200m and take the shot from there?

Anyways, just razzing you, sucks when you see the one you want, where you can't have it.

elcazador
10-30-2012, 08:52 PM
You can shoot them with a bow in the 400m zone
Why is that?

meesemoot
10-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Why is that?

Shooting a bow is not considered to be discharging a firearm.

Blacktail 270
10-31-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't know where you were hunting but I regs for shooting close highway 99 is 15 meters from the outside edge of pavement. You cannot shoot towards or over the highway. This is my understanding for a three lane highway in BC or otherwise posted.

rocksteady
10-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Were you North of Squamish or SOuth??? 2 different rules...

South- 400 m West and 1 km East
North - 15 metres from centreline