PDA

View Full Version : need help 8x42 or 10x42

kebes
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Planning on ordering a new pair of binoculars in the next couple of days but I'm undecided as to whether or not I want to go 8x42 or 10x42. I'll be using them for everything from truck hunting to - hopefully - sheep hunting. I've had the same pair for most of my hunting career so I'm inexperienced in binocular buying :smile:. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

huntcoop
10-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I have some Vortex Vultures in 10x50 and they are awesome.

RoscoeP
10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
I have had 10x42's for a couple of decades but will but 8x42 the next time. I am sure most here will tell you to buy 10 power but in my real world experience the 10's are abit to much. You have to hold them very steady, forearms on chest or elbows on knees if sitting. I have compared them side by side sitting with my son out hunting and I prefer the 8 power. Spend some time with both outside the store before you buy. Cheers Roscoe

haber
10-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Tough choice. A 10x42 is going to run a little more price wise but will make it a little easier to identify a spiker or count points. An 8x42 will give you a little bit bigger field of view and save you some change as well. I would say go with the 10x42. My old man was given a pair of Zeiss 10x50's with a built in range finder. Unbelievable compared to my old pair of Zeiss 8x. Try a few out and see which ones work best for yourself and that you are most comfortable with.

ianwuzhere
10-30-2012, 03:19 PM
10x42 hands down- look at some in a store first.

dakoda62
10-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I own a pair of Vortex Vipers 10/42 probably the best i have have used. True holding on an object for long there is noticeable movement, but the trade off identifying that "2" point moose out weighs the other

snareman1234
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
go 8 if you also have a spotter. Also 8 would be best for truck hunting...If not either of those..10

shotgunner
10-30-2012, 04:12 PM
8 power has a greater depth of view. If you are looking thru the branches and trees you will pick out antlers easier without focusing every 3 ft. You give up a bit for open range but then you are really going to a spotting scope to get detail.

kebes
10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Since it's come up, I'm also in the process of buying a spotting scope....I was thinking the 20x60x80 but it does seem a little bulky for the pack, any thoughts on that? (I'm sticking with bushnell because I can get a good price, so while I understand that other brands may have perks I'm more concerned about the issue of size).

Any input is appreciated!

TooTall
10-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Tough choice. A 10x42 is going to run a little more price wise but will make it a little easier to identify a spiker or count points. An 8x42 will give you a little bit bigger field of view and save you some change as well. I would say go with the 10x42. My old man was given a pair of Zeiss 10x50's with a built in range finder. Unbelievable compared to my old pair of Zeiss 8x. Try a few out and see which ones work best for yourself and that you are most comfortable with.

Your dad must be one hellofa guy to have someone GIVE him Ziess binos. I was in the market for binos but couldnt afford 1500-2000 for the pair of Zeiss I wanted settled on Vortex Talons 10-42. There great.

Weatherby Fan
10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Stick to the 10x42 if you plan on any open alpine deer or sheep hunting,Ive used a pair of Leica 10x42s for 20 years and they are awesome even in the timber they a pleasure to look through
do yourself a favour and get the 10x42s..........you won't regret it
WF

haber
10-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Your dad must be one hellofa guy to have someone GIVE him Ziess binos. I was in the market for binos but couldnt afford 1500-2000 for the pair of Zeiss I wanted settled on Vortex Talons 10-42. There great.

Ya he is in the outdoor industry and a retail store wanted to carry his product. I was blown away his partner was given a Victory series scope as well. Wish I could come close to owning a pair of those.

avadad
10-30-2012, 09:22 PM
I have both types of binos and find that I use the 10x exclusively. I'm even tempted to make my next pair a 12x.

REMINGTON JIM
10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
With out a doubt - the 10-42 's :-D RJ

Jack Russell
10-30-2012, 10:15 PM
I bought a pair of 10x42 Swaro's back in '95 - still have them. Best money I ever spent, and am glad I went with the 10x. No problems with holding steady. Happy with the extra magnification.

David
10-30-2012, 10:23 PM
I have had 10x42's for a couple of decades but will but 8x42 the next time. I am sure most here will tell you to buy 10 power but in my real world experience the 10's are abit to much. You have to hold them very steady, forearms on chest or elbows on knees if sitting. I have compared them side by side sitting with my son out hunting and I prefer the 8 power. Spend some time with both outside the store before you buy. Cheers Roscoe

Are me and Roscoe the only ones who would go 8X42????

I have Leica 10X42's which were a sentimental gift, otherwise I would trade them straight up for 8X42's in a second.

At 10X there is just too much exertion to hold them steady and they are not suited to a quick "sweep".

If you're interested in the 10X I'd run around the block / do some stairs in the store to get your heart rate up and then see how well you see through them.

Edit:
I should also say the 10X are next to impossible to use well one-handed.

The Hermit
10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
How about a pair of 8.5x44 Kowa Genesis? These optics are as good as any other bino on the market, at any price, and right now you can save about $400 by picking up a demo set I have available! http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?85588-Kowa-Demo-Sale-Save-300

And for the spotter, similarly I have a demo Kowa Prominar 77mm available the again is as good as any spotter on the market, and at a rock bottom price!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?87071-DEMO-Unit-For-Sale-KOWA-TSN-773-Spotter

Both products come with a full lifetime warranty and are in perfect condition.

Elkaddict
10-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Are me and Roscoe the only ones who would go 8X42????

I have Leica 10X42's which were a sentimental gift, otherwise I would trade them straight up for 8X42's in a second.

At 10X there is just too much exertion to hold them steady and they are not suited to a quick "sweep".

If you're interested in the 10X I'd run around the block / do some stairs in the store to get your heart rate up and then see how well you see through them.

Edit:
I should also say the 10X are next to impossible to use well one-handed.

I'll throw my hat into this ring as well. All else being equal the 8X's should have better depth of field, wider field of view, and be brighter in failing light. My hunting partner and I had identical model binoculars. His were 8's mine were 10's (both with 42mm objective). The difference in apparent magnification between them was barely noticeable but the 8's were definitely brighter when the light started to go.

Shooter
10-30-2012, 11:22 PM
What is your price range for bino's?

BCbillies
10-30-2012, 11:23 PM
8x42 . . . most effective under adverse conditions.

Stone C. Killer
10-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Vortex Razor 10*42

steelballs
10-30-2012, 11:57 PM
10x42 busnells i have helped to id the spike fork my partner and i got. And also the little 2 pt buck i got last year. I love them but you do have to hold them steady while glassing in one spot for a while.

Elkaddict
10-31-2012, 07:49 AM
After I replied to this thread I thought about it a bit, it comes up often enough I wondered what the "birders" thought about the same subject. No big surprise, they are just about as divided as hunters and have all the same answers.:-D I did find this quote however, which I think sums things up pretty objectively.

8x vs. 10x... Which is Best? Comparing binoculars with the same size objective lenses (i.e. 8x36 vs. 10x36): The 8x will always be about 50% brighter with a significantly wider field of view. On the other hand, the difference in magnification between 8X and 10X is not as significant as many people think... An image at 10x is only 1.25X larger than an image at 8x. Taking the 10x to a larger objective (ie 10x50) does improve the brightness but it quite often is still not as bright as the 8x with a smaller (and lighter) objective. With all other specifications being equal, "brightness" will give an advantage in low light viewing situations. Summary: An 8x image is brighter and wider, 10x image is darker and 1¼X larger.

I guess the bottom line, once again, is try a bunch out and go with what is best for YOUR eyes. Good luck with your quest!

BCRiverBoater
10-31-2012, 07:51 AM
If sheep hunting you want the 10x42 no question!

Also spend as much as you can afford. Good optics are a must if spending any time in the field. If you buy a cheap set this time around you will only end up buying a better pair down the road anyways. There spending $500 now and $1500-$2500 in a few years so you are just throwing away the money spent on the cheaper pair.

Trekker
10-31-2012, 08:00 AM
Another vote for 10x42's. I have Zeiss Conquest HD's, very happy with them.

wsm
10-31-2012, 08:09 AM
10 power is to much power for the objective size of only 42. i would go 8x42 in this case . if it were a 50 mil objective i would go 10 power

wsm
10-31-2012, 08:12 AM
the power should always divide into the objective size a minimum of 5 times
8x40
10x50
7x35
etc

Weatherby Fan
10-31-2012, 08:20 AM
With all the comments on the 8x42 vs the 10x42 ???? first off it doesn't matter what power you buy if the optics are cheap shit you will always be left wanting something better,I say save up and buy a set of binos that will last you a lifetime.

I would suggest the best thing you can do is go to a sports shop and grab a pair of the same binoculars in both powers and see which you prefer,do a bit of research so u understand on the what and why will be the difference in the two IE- exit pupil-field of view and so on,failing that if you want to stop by my place I have a pair of 8x42 and a pair of 10x42s in the Zeiss Conquest HD,come and look through both and see for yourself.
WF

Ron.C
10-31-2012, 08:35 AM
I have both 8x42's and 10x42's. I used the 8x42's for years but found I wanted a bit more magnification when hunted open country and glassing/judging bears at longer distances. For that reason I picked up a set of 10x42's.

I don't understand why some above say the 10 power is too much for 42mm obj lense size? But I am no optics guru. My 10x42's are very clear, bright, and are very easy on the eyes. And this is what I think is the most important point. Regardless of what glass you buy, if they give you eye strain or headaches, they are useless to you

2tins
10-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Go for the 10x42. I'm in the same boat and need a new set of binos. I currently use 8x32's but will be upgrading to 10x42's. This fall when we were elk hunting I was glassing side hills and spotting elk here and there only to be shut down by my buddies(who use 10x42's) telling me that the great bull I spotted was still there an hour later. Weird. It's not like a bull elk to stand in one spot for over an hour but sure enough when I checked him out there he was. Anyways, as it turns out I had been spotting bushes for the majority of our glassing session and that's why the fellas had no interest in putting the sneak on the bulls that I was spotting. I will say that we were glassing side hills a couple K away and the 8x32's work well when the animals are a bit closer. Get what you can afford and what you like. Good optics are important but being close enough to identify what you are shooting at is too. Good luck, 2tins.

wsm
10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
I have both 8x42's and 10x42's. I used the 8x42's for years but found I wanted a bit more magnification when hunted open country and glassing/judging bears at longer distances. For that reason I picked up a set of 10x42's.

I don't understand why some above say the 10 power is too much for 42mm obj lense size? But I am no optics guru. My 10x42's are very clear, bright, and are very easy on the eyes. And this is what I think is the most important point. Regardless of what glass you buy, if they give you eye strain or headaches, they are useless to you
this is a good offer , however on a bright clear day the power will always look nicer. trick the eyes, things look closer. take em out on a day like today and see what happens

Goliath
10-31-2012, 12:45 PM
8x42 is definitely BRIGHTER (larger exit pupil), but if that isn't important then go with the herd and get 10x42.

I have a 10x and love it, but I wouldn't shy away from an 8x. In fact, if I had an unlimited budget, I'd get an 8x just for bush deer hunting

Fosey
10-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Go with the 10x42. If you are having a problem keeping them steady use a tripod. I am getting a adapter for my Swarovski 10x42 and will be trying the tripod.

Ron.C
10-31-2012, 12:58 PM
this is a good offer , however on a bright clear day the power will always look nicer. trick the eyes, things look closer. take em out on a day like today and see what happens

I have, in very wet days like today and in snow. The 10's performed very well

broke
10-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I couldn't agree more. Most hunters will end up upgrading to a GOOD pair of optics at some point in their life and they all wish they had done it sooner. Don't waste a few hundred bucks and have to use sub-par optics for the next few years until you get tired of them and upgrade. Save up for an extra year and get one of the top three brands (Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski) -- you won't regret it!

<<was trying to reply to BC Riverboater's comment, "If sheep hunting you want the 10x42 no question! Also spend as much as you can afford. Good optics are a must if spending any time in the field. If you buy a cheap set this time around you will only end up buying a better pair down the road anyways. There spending $500 now and $1500-$2500 in a few years so you are just throwing away the money spent on the cheaper pair." but it didn't work (my reply skills are obviously not up to par - oh well).>>

Krico
10-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Another vote for 8x, especially if you use a spotter. Assuming the same sized objective lens, they will be brighter, the larger exit pupil will make it easier as you don't have to hold them quite as perfectly still as 10x to have full field of view, there is less image shake and they are nicer in the timber. For long distances in open country you'll be pulling out the spotter anyways.

kebes
10-31-2012, 03:46 PM
As for going top three brand, I doubt I will ever be able to justify dropping over a grand on binoculars. I know that you're giving up quality to buy a bit cheaper but the bottom line is I would have expensive binoculars sitting at home because I wouldn't be able to afford going out. I'd rather have something functional and be able to go hunting. So three or four grand between binoculars and a spotting scope just isn't an option for me.

Thanks for all the input, I think I'm leaning towards the 10x. The extra 4 ounces shouldn't be a huge difference between the two pairs I'm looking at!

harbinger
10-31-2012, 04:08 PM
8x42 is the way to go IMHO, for all the reasons already mentioned. I think you would get less eye fatigue with the 8 power as well.

The Hermit
10-31-2012, 04:31 PM
If you don't want to stretch to the top class glass then also consider this review of less expensive optics.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?87634-Kowa-Review-Best-of-the-Best-and-Best-Low-End

The Hermit
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
I couldn't agree more. Most hunters will end up upgrading to a GOOD pair of optics at some point in their life and they all wish they had done it sooner. Don't waste a few hundred bucks and have to use sub-par optics for the next few years until you get tired of them and upgrade. Save up for an extra year and get one of the top three brands (KOWA, Leica, Swarovski) -- you won't regret it!

<<was trying to reply to BC Riverboater's comment, "If sheep hunting you want the 10x42 no question! Also spend as much as you can afford. Good optics are a must if spending any time in the field. If you buy a cheap set this time around you will only end up buying a better pair down the road anyways. There spending $500 now and $1500-$2500 in a few years so you are just throwing away the money spent on the cheaper pair." but it didn't work (my reply skills are obviously not up to par - oh well).>>

There fixed it for you... get with the times!!

broke
11-01-2012, 12:56 PM
I hadn't heard of Kowa before, but the reviews look pretty good I must say. I upgraded my Bausch & Lomb to a pair of Zeiss a few years ago and am soooo happy I did. My wife is from Germany, so I would get razzed by the in-laws with anything not made in the 'homeland'.

The Hermit
11-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah in binoculars there are four top brands now that are so close on the quality side the only real differentiator is on price... which puts KOWA on the top of the list from my perspective. I've owned and hunted with all of them and you really can't go to far wrong... inlaws aside.

Citori54
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I have a pair of 8X40 Zeiss Victory TFL and have been completely satisfied. They are crystal clear and bright, especially in poor light early morning and at dusk. I tried 8x and 10x but the 8x suited me best. At my age I had difficulty holding the 10x steady enough. I agree with some of the other posts....buy the best glass you can afford and you will not regret it.

knightcc
11-04-2012, 04:57 PM
The Hermit is right. Kowa is an excellent, excellent brand. I have a Kowa spotter and it is fabulous (it's better than a SWARO) Google any of the reviews from birding sites. As for 8 vs. 10. I would go with the 8's for the exit pupil (over 5) and the ability to hold them steady. As for having to spend over 2G for a good set, pick up a pair of the new Vortex Razor HDs and read some reviews on the internet. Fabulous glass with the best warranty in the business hands down. Vortex is making HUGE inroads in the high end glass market. Outselling the big 3 by a long shot. It will be interesting to see if the big 3 will be able to keep their prices in the 2G+ range with all this pressure from brands like Kowa and Vortex.

Weatherby Fan
11-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah in binoculars there are four top brands now that are so close on the quality side the only real differentiator is on price... which puts KOWA on the top of the list from my perspective. I've owned and hunted with all of them and you really can't go to far wrong... inlaws aside.

OK Hermit,Ive been looking at Kowa Binoculars online,
first off what line is the best that they have ???
How many lines do they have ?
next I can't find anything about a guarantee ??? is it lifetime ? or 10-10 ? which would be 10 feet or 10 seconds :wink:

You keep preaching about your product but provide no info ??? lets have it buddy !

Maybe you should do an info on Kowa optics page ?? Binos and Spotters

Thanks
WF

The Hermit
11-11-2012, 08:15 PM
WF - I just spent an hour putting a long detailed post together and lost it on the last cutty cutty paste... will do again on Tues but in the mean time... http://kowa-sporting-optics.com/ Kowa's own site is pretty good.

Weatherby Fan
11-11-2012, 08:24 PM
WF - I just spent an hour putting a long detailed post together and lost it on the last cutty cutty paste... will do again on Tues but in the mean time... http://kowa-sporting-optics.com/ Kowa's own site is pretty good.

Thanks Bill
WF