PDA

View Full Version : squamish valley

olympia
10-30-2012, 06:58 AM
hey guys, heading out in a couple days to do some scouting around in ashlu valley up squamish valley road. I will let people know how it went, does anyone have any suggestions? Im gonna drive partways up the mountain and then I plan on bushwacking it up an area I saw some does hanging around in last april, I was there in sept but saw no signs of anything but I figure since I saw 5 does that time in april that maybe they will still be there.

nuadixion
10-30-2012, 03:22 PM
i would wait for the snow to push them down....but you might find a grouse...then again you never know.....if you dont go you dont get :)

albravo2
10-30-2012, 05:29 PM
just after you cross the squamish and before you cross the ashlu, there is an old logging road that takes off to the north. it forks about 800m later, the right fork leads to a nice spot on the squamish, the left fork takes you up and eventually connects with the ashlu fsr. or at least I think it does. the trail goes from bad to worse and i couldn't go any further with the rhino. plenty of sign down near the squamish river, less so as I went higher.

Cmdrtron
10-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Are you sure the sign down by the Squamish river wasn't Elk? i was there in mid sept and could see sign of the Elk heard that move through there plus lots of bear trails. didn't see much in the way of Deer. But i'm also new to the area and maybe mistaken.

270WIN
10-30-2012, 08:48 PM
just after you cross the squamish and before you cross the ashlu, there is an old logging road that takes off to the north. it forks about 800m later, the right fork leads to a nice spot on the squamish, the left fork takes you up and eventually connects with the ashlu fsr. or at least I think it does. the trail goes from bad to worse and i couldn't go any further with the rhino. plenty of sign down near the squamish river, less so as I went higher.

soon as you start to climb about 1 km there a big steel drain agross the road did you get your rhino over that. there are some good deer down low along the river more so later in the year.

albravo2
10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
soon as you start to climb about 1 km there a big steel drain agross the road did you get your rhino over that. there are some good deer down low along the river more so later in the year.

somebody pulled the culvert out, so its a bit of a scramble but still passable.

brian
10-31-2012, 10:46 AM
plenty of sign down near the squamish river, less so as I went higher. There is a resident elk herd down there by the river. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the sign you were seeing.