PDA

View Full Version : Sunday in the Marsh

Angus
10-29-2012, 10:58 PM
I dunno what it is, whether we're not getting out enough or what, but it seems almost every time we hit the marsh the last couple of years, the weather has been great. An early arrival at the launch and a nice warm morning to greet us. The couple of days of rain finally let up and based on recent reports of good amounts of birds, our spirits were high.

Arriving at the blind it was good to see that the recent rains and winds hadn't battered the grass camo work too bad and the blind still remained pretty well concealed. The spread was set (thanks to Dano for the suggestion) and we waited for legal shooting time. Longshotz (Gregg), Angus the dog, and I were ready to go

We soon found that the recent reports were accurate and there were a good number of birds around. Some good early shooting from Longshotz, and a few great retrieves on diving cripples and those headed into the long grass by Angus, and we had a quick three in the blind. There was some rather suspect shooting and selective vision by the author, soon wondering if I'd been listening to too much Ray Charles recently. Couldn't hit the ocean with rock while sitting in a boat! Angus was voicing his displeasure often at the missed shots on some cans of corn 30 feet out.

So after about half a box of shells, I finally connected on one with the third of three from the Wingmaster. Another cripple and off it went with Angus in pursuit. I dunno how this dog does some of the things he does; he wasn't started until he was four years old, and he was trained by a complete newbie, me. It must be in the lineage, 'cause it sure as hell wasn't my training acumen.

Should have been a fairly easy two man limit, but by the time we called it, we ended up with eight birds. Here's a couple shots from the day.

Longshotz and Angus

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/duffmanBC/Oct28_1.jpg

Me and Angus with the haul
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/duffmanBC/Oct28_2.jpg

And as usual, once we're almost packed up, Angus spies a nice flight of mallards overhead
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/duffmanBC/Oct28_3.jpg

PS. Not too happy about how the size of pics show up. Straight from photobucket.

Dano
10-30-2012, 01:01 AM
Nice birds you guys. I'll be out wednesday and the weekend too so hopefully see you out there.
Dan

Discoverer
10-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Nicely done! We should introduce Angus (the dog) to Oscar, maybe he can learn a cripple pursuit from your dog. We've been in your blind Saturday morning and Oscar went to retrieve of what seen as a clear kill, but when he was about 5 meters from the bird, it started to swim away and every time Oscar got too close she dove under water. After 5 minutes of pursuing once she didn't pop on a surface, so I don't know whether she drown (doh!) or managed to sneak away. Needless to say Oscar came back unhappy and confused :(

Foxton Gundogs
10-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Oh yah the big flock while picking up is a LAW:-?...Nice shoot love them "blue bird" days in the duck blind

FirePower
10-30-2012, 01:55 PM
X2 a law of nature for sure