View Full Version : Carlo and 'hotload' the unbeatable team!

Bc Deer Hunter
10-29-2012, 08:15 PM
First off I would liketo give a big thanks to Rod ( hotload), and his companion Carlo for stepping inon a moment’s notice and tracking a wounded buck shot by one of my friends.
The buck was shot Saturday morning. The rest of the day buddy,me and my dog tried to find this buck. We ended up pushing him off 2 beds thenhaving the buck loop around the whole mountain side and hide out into a ravine 1km away barely accessible by man. While the whole time we were still searchingfrantically on the one mountain side.
Then it came to methat a good friend of mine has two really great tracking dogs and would forsure love an opportunity to practice with his dog. So I get home after dark andgive him a ring, and sure enough ‘’hotload’’ is more than happy to step up andput his pal Carlo on the track come first light. Then the rain set in...Throughout the night it absolutely poured making it even harder; consideringthe track was a day old, and now with all blood washed away Carlo was dependanton only the scent glands on the feet of the deer.
Rod met up with my friend bright and early heading out for onelast chance to recover his buck. Buddy shows where the point of impact was, andfrom there it was ‘game on!’ Carlo had his head down and nose moving fasterthan a piston. He tracked the buck zigzagging down the mountain side throughand above thickets, until they hit the base of the mountain. Then from there itwas right back up, out and over knolls until they came to a gully. Suddenly thewind was blowing straight in their faces giving Carlos a waft of the deermaking him go nuts!! And there it was about 35 meters down the slope, myfriends buck!
In this case it was very unfortunate that the coyotesmanaged to literally dismember him making in all most unsalvageable. Once againif it wasn’t for Rod (hotload) and Carlo this deer would have never beenrecovered.
Pictures of the recovery to follow............................................ .

Bc Deer Hunter
10-29-2012, 08:17 PM
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/003-2.jpg
Rod and Carlo, on the recovery..
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/002.jpg

tinhorse
10-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Nice buck. It doesn't even look like it is "all most unsalvageable" looks like there isn't even enough meat for hamburger left on that thing. Amazing what a good dog can do for you though. I guess it was a light pack out for your buddy.:-D

Rodd
10-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Good Job on following up, on your buddies buck! Many have not been recovered this successfully. Congrats on a great 3 pointer!

Gateholio
10-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Wow, nice buck. Too bad the yotes got there first :(

Sundance1972
10-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Nice work tracking him down, good to see people caring enough to put in the effort!! Sux you lost him to predators, though.
Time to do some coyote hunting?

The Hermit
10-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Wow great tracking job! Damn near enough right there to make me want a dog! Fantastic! Hope Carlo got a big ol reward! Nice buck too!

Buck
10-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Nice buck. Hard to beat a drahthaar for tracking.good job Carlos.

Brambles
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
wow, great job tracking doggie. Them coyote's sure picked it clean.

spear
10-30-2012, 11:49 PM
They are one hell of a team, speaks to a guys character to come out at the drop of a hat in the pouring rain. Nice work

hotload
10-31-2012, 09:07 AM
This was a very,very difficult track to say the least, but if that animal had to be put out of it's misery we at least got there to do it. The man that shot this deer tried to get a hold of me a few hours after he shot it and I missed the call because they had to go through somebody else to find it. I told him that I would put the dog on it and if the track was such that it was impossible to track I would wander around all day by myself if need be to find this deer because he had to go back to work, but after finding it with Carlo and seeing the destruction of what can happen to an animal in such a short time, I will post it. I live in West Kelowna and I will come out to at least help in your recovery. If you have done your due dilligence in the recovery and have no avenues left maybe I can help, what have you got to lose. My charge is ZERO, lets just see if we can get er done...................
HOME, 250-769-8002
CELL, 250-212-1738

BigSlapper
10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Steak ... or should I say "Roast" dinner for big Carlo! Nice job you two.