PDA

View Full Version : Father- Daughter Bruiser Muley Down! 4x3

Taurusguy
10-29-2012, 12:42 PM
MY daughter and I (along with my dad and his buddy who had a doe draw)head out to our hunting spot again to fill our LEH Doe tags. We arrived with no snow on the ground and woke up in winter wonder land the next day. We had 3 Mule deer tags between us .. Got all 3! My daughter and I spent all 6 days on foot bush wackin with a little quading between areas. ON the last 3 days we started to see alot of activity as the snow storm pushed away and warmed up a bit. The snow started dropping from the trees and the place turned into a zoo. For those last 3 days We tracked this HUGE buck up and down through the bush .. and cuts .. roads .. and trails .. he eluded us on the first 2 days. Seen him JUST disappear over this tree line 2x in a row. So yesterday morning I told my dad (he wanted to pack up camp and go home on saturday and i suggested we stay til sunday morning but pack up camp saturday night mostly and be ready to leave sunday afternoon after the morning hunt. So sunday morning comes and i head out with my daughter to catch this big guy a bit earlier. I seen 3 sets of tracks roaming around and one of them was him.. the 2 smaller sets branched off and headed up towards the tree line again. We followed the tracks through the bushes for a bit as he wandered (seemingly) aimlessly around just about 200 or so yards form the doe tracks. then the tracks headed out towards the clearing .... as we made our way through the trees and out into the open .. we followed them over some rolling open hills.. towards were we seen him the 2 days prior. The fog was lifting as we headed that way and low and behold there he was ..way farther down from the tree line than the previous days just standing there. I move swiftly for a bench rest on a rock about 50ft in front of me hunker down .. and BOOOM! ... FLOP! GOT HIM! IT was about 350 - 400 yard shot, my longest ever. We jumped for joy ... my heart was pounding from hilking and from adrenaline .. and my daughter says to me .. "Dad .. that was better than all the rides at playland put together!" WE got our quad and truck as far out there as we could ... and huffed it the rest of the way. Dragged the Deer to the quad (about 500 or so yards from the kill site) and dragged it back to camp after we gutted it.

(below) Me and my daughter holding up the deer in camp
http://i49.tinypic.com/mhfr7.jpg

(below) Daughter holding up the deer where it died at
http://i49.tinypic.com/2jezdht.jpg

(below) Buck tied to the quad
http://i49.tinypic.com/ndpfo5.jpg

Man .. what a trip! This year has been the best year for deer hunting for us. So proud of my daughter for following me around and helping like she did .. she did FANTASTIC!

rocksteady
10-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Congrats.. nice looking deer and a great hunt with your daughter... Awesome memories right there...

shadowhunter
10-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Congrats! looks like fun! and a beauty buck to boot!

Stone C. Killer
10-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Priceless!

doubled
10-29-2012, 12:55 PM
These are the stories I LOVE to read. Awesome. Congrats to you guys and enjoy all that meat.

Taurusguy
10-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys! His antlers were 23" across.. biggest deer i Have ever shot. Funny thing was ... he even walked through our camp that morning .. but what was weird about him was that fact he had no tail! Almost like he might have been a mule/elk hybrid. His ass was brown ... his front was greyish brown. ON the hook .. (just weighed at the butcher today with no skull ... guts .. or skin. 235lbs.

Glenny
10-29-2012, 01:15 PM
That hill looks awfully familiar. But they all do eh. Congratulations on a job well done.

Duck Buster
10-29-2012, 01:16 PM
That is a great story and a very nice deer, he is really wide.... The best part of the entire adventure is that your daughter got to be there with you. My kids were with me the other day for their first bear, and can't wait untill we get a deer. Keep up the good work and you will have a hunting partner for life.

Glenny
10-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Funtastic! That's a great hunt.

decker9
10-29-2012, 01:21 PM
what'a buck!! way to go you two!!

ianwuzhere
10-29-2012, 02:08 PM
nice buck, congrats!

coach
10-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Great looking buck, Taurusguy! Congrats to you and your daughter on a very special hunt. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

44inchStone
10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Just plain AWSOME!!!! Congrats to you and your daughter n a GREAT memorable hunt. One of which I'm sure you both will never forget.!!

ElliotMoose
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Right on! That's what it's all about. Time to get her behind the trigger now! Congrats

swamper
10-29-2012, 02:26 PM
It's great that you had the chance to spend some quality father/daughter time. That beauty buck was just an added bonus. Way to go.

BigfishCanada
10-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Awesome Deer, Awesome Story! I love the dad/daughter pic, that should be on your wall is the biggest trophy you've gotten!@!!! Good Work!

IslandHunterBXL
10-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys! His antlers were 23" across.. biggest deer i Have ever shot. Funny thing was ... he even walked through our camp that morning .. but what was weird about him was that fact he had no tail! Almost like he might have been a mule/elk hybrid. His ass was brown ... his front was greyish brown. ON the hook .. (just weighed at the butcher today with no skull ... guts .. or skin. 235lbs.

Is there such thing as an elk/mulie hybrid??? never heard of that

fester
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
great story, congrats!!!

Caveman
10-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Great mass on that buck!!

Taurusguy
10-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Is there such thing as an elk/mulie hybrid??? never heard of thatNot sure .. but if you look at the butt of the deer ... its got no tail! But it DEF has a mule deer head and antler configuration so its NOT an elk .. but it partially resembles one from the back side.

Jelvis
10-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Was there elk around the area Taurus? Is the area known to have elk?
Jelly --

kootenayelkslayer
10-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Not sure .. but if you look at the butt of the deer ... its got no tail! But it DEF has a mule deer head and antler configuration so its NOT an elk .. but it partially resembles one from the back side.

More likely it was ripped off by a predator, froze off, or something like that at some point in its lifetime. Great buck though, nice frame on him. Your daughter must've been pumped!

The Silent Stalker
10-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Priceless memories, nice buck.

Taurusguy
10-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Yup ... there is elk in the area ... and white tails .. One of our LEH does was very similar as this guy. Had a mule head with big floppy ears but went grey on the front to brown on the back and no tail again. We had 2 doe draws in our camp .. both of them had the same head .. but different back ends. I can post a pic later of the 2 does that got shot too ... so you can see what I mean.

Taurusguy
10-29-2012, 03:52 PM
More likely it was ripped off by a predator, froze off, or something like that at some point in its lifetime. Great buck though, nice frame on him. Your daughter must've been pumped!

Not so sure of that ... he was light brown under his belly and around his ass.. maybe a white tail/mule deer hybrid with mule antlers? they went from dark to light .. front to back in colour. Grey to brown.

edit: Oh yeah .. she was pumped alright! I have never seen her move so fast after i shot it to go see ... lol

Mr. Dean
10-29-2012, 04:20 PM
I share your enthusiasm Man!
Wonderful experience w/ a wonderful outcome.

Cheers to you and your family!!

Mr. Dean
10-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Hopefully the quad-drag didn't spoil the cape....

Taurusguy
10-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Hopefully the quad-drag didn't spoil the cape....Nope .. the dragging over the rocks did on the way to the quad ... me and my old man (my daughter was the pack mule for the gutting equipment and coats/knives/rags/ropes) would count .. 1,2,3 PULL .. and drag it 2 ft ... stop .. rest .. repeat. ONly going to get a skull cap with the horns on them and then clear coat the antlers and mount them on a nice piece of wood. The cape was torn up pretty bad by the time we got it to the quad .. it was patchy and hair falling off all over :( BUT .. whatever ... it is what it is and im sooo stoked i got him. But your right .. the quad ride didnt help him any either.

coach
10-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Too late for a euro mount?

10-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Terrific to see and hear, way to go to both of you ! Memories forever ...... now get em done !CongratsCT

Mr. Dean
10-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Too late for a euro mount?

please please please,,,,,,, say it isn't. :neutral:

kgriz
10-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Nice buck....if you want to mount it with a different cape, I'll see what I can do...my friends and I often connect with a good one every year and I could save the cape for you if I do ....my buddy gets first crack at the capes as his was ruinned last year but if he doesn't want one or we get a couple I'll let you know:-D

spear
10-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Awesome, thats a bruiser!

kennyj
10-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Awesome trip! Those memories will last a lifetime.
kenny

The Hermit
10-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Sending a link to this thread to my daughter with the subject line... "HINT" haha Way to go!

Mugger
10-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Nice to see a Coquitlam family kick but. Living the dream.

Dirty Steve
10-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Nice buck guys, congrats!

What's with all the does hangin?

Rattler
10-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Great job! Hope to do the same with my daughter one day.

moose2
10-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Great job on a nice buck it sounds like it was well earned. Good that you two didn't give up early your persistence paid off in a big way.
Congratulations
Mike

bosca
10-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Good work on a nice buck. Am very envious you have such a enthusiastic partner in your daughter. I have two daughters and neither is interested in the kill. One is interested in shooting and even goes out with me but has no interest in actually shooting anything...I'll keep trying.

Taurusguy
10-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Nice buck guys, congrats!

What's with all the does hangin?

We had 2 doe draws between the 4 of us from LEH. Worked out fantastic. :)

I would love to do a euro mount i think (didnt know what one was til I looked it up tonight). I got the head still, but its cut high at the neck. I will have a chat with my wife about it.

Mr. Dean
10-29-2012, 11:38 PM
We had 2 doe draws between the 4 of us from LEH. Worked out fantastic. :)

I would love to do a euro mount i think (didnt know what one was til I looked it up tonight). I got the head still, but its cut high at the neck. I will have a chat with my wife about it.

All ya need is the entire skull w/ its antlers still attached.

Looks this this:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1024_3_6_Mr_Dean_web.jpg

Mr. Dean
10-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Hahaaaa!
Wrong pic!! :shock:

Like THIS!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1024_4_Mr_Dean_web.JPG

That one is on a pedistal and sits on a table. I like that because I can move it around on a whim.
It can also be mounted on a wall if desired, by removing the base from the leg/pedistal.

Neat Mounts that I never appreciated until I had one, live in my hands. :cool:

Singleshotneeded
10-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Way to go, nice buck...congrats! Great to see you out hunting with your daughter!:-)