PDA

View Full Version : Higher than normal harvest

Walksalot
10-29-2012, 07:52 AM
With all the snow falling in the high country the animals will be bailing out and heading for their winter range. With the amount of time left in the hunting season I suspect there will be a higher than usual number of animals taken.

BigfishCanada
10-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Its also 4 point season, and I see so many less people in Nov than earlier months. Im hunting the third week of Nov, I hope that big monster is acting dumb that week!

Sofa King
10-29-2012, 08:16 AM
not so quick.
up where i hunt the snow was almost all melted this weekend.
and there was alot up there last week, so much that i thought it would be there to stay.
i was quite surprised at how it's all gone now.

and all the deer were staying in the thick until the last hour of light.
even the does weren't coming out into the blocks until after 5 pm.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2012, 08:18 AM
..and the previous several yrs we finished the muley rifle seasons with close to zero snow on the ground.

Maybe we'll finally get a late fall like yester-years?

SSS

KB90
10-29-2012, 08:28 AM
We've got a foot of snow here in dawson, and lows of -22 for wednesday. Moose are out feeding hard, went for a drive at noon yesterday and saw half a dozen. You couldn't ask for better conditions. On a normal drive to work I'd see 10-20 mule deer, the past couple days I've been seeing 50-60+ they are out feeding a lot longer now.

I've also got my whitetail baits out and they have bee hitting them hard. 100lbs of oats and barley at one site was gone in 2 days!

Sofa King
10-29-2012, 08:42 AM
it was +15 yesterday here.
the bush/snow conditions are right back to scratch.

moose2
10-29-2012, 09:01 AM
The guys in region 5 would remember this. It was about ten years ago ( ???? ) there was a early heavy snow fall in the Caribou region. The harvest during the late 4 point season was so high that the Ministry actually shut the season down early. I can't remember all the details, but they felt bucks were being shot that wouldn't have normally been down that low during the season.
Mike

boxhitch
10-29-2012, 05:53 PM
dafenitely not enough to make them move yet.
Freezing level to go above 1600 m. this week , and rain to for a couple of days should wash all but the highest snow away.
Saturday was near perfect , cold light -4 with over 15 cms of new.
Sunday was warm and all the trees were bombing out , must have been un nerving for the critters , nothing seen after daylight.

kennyj
10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
I hope so! We're heading up in Nov.
kenny

Jagermeister
10-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Nothing happens until the snow is up to your knackers!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Sunday was warm and all the trees were bombing out , must have been un nerving for the critters , nothing seen after daylight.

I was expecting them to be out of the big timber cover...just like hunting blacktails after a heavy rain.
Theory didn't seem to be quite right. Saw 2 does at last light ............in thick fog.

mark
10-29-2012, 09:09 PM
The guys in region 5 would remember this. It was about ten years ago ( ???? ) there was a early heavy snow fall in the Caribou region. The harvest during the late 4 point season was so high that the Ministry actually shut the season down early. I can't remember all the details, but they felt bucks were being shot that wouldn't have normally been down that low during the season.
Mike

The only time I recall that happening was about 25 years ago. If its happened since then I certainly missed it, but I doubt it???

Not sure how the harvest could be more, as we all only have the same amount of tags?? Fill your tags this week, or next week when there's more snow and deer. Makes no difference.
A huge dump of snow in the high country will bring the big boys down, making for great trophy hunt opportunity, but our bag limit is the same!