PDA

View Full Version : 3 days and nights left for me..

s0ylentgreen
10-28-2012, 07:23 PM
hi all - here is my situation:
for family reasons i have to stay close to home vernon and do day hunts - im a beginner hunter
im gonna lay it all out on the line - in hopes of some help from fellow vernonites....
im after one whitetail doe for meat for the winter - my baby girls love the one mule buck i got already.

ive been doing my homework, scouting out several locations and hunting them quite a bit
keefer lake
trinity valley/bobbie burns road
mable lake road and the fsr's off it
sugar lake road and the fsr's off it

since opening day i've been after does, i've been staking out before sunrise, some hike hunting, some road hunting and some dusk hunting.

no success - places where i saw lots of does before they were open - i cant find them now... only see them on private land and if i do manage to see them where i can shoot them - they are elusive!

Any suggestions/ assistance?

dont get me wrong - im happy i got a muley with help from a friend - i throw myslef on the mercy of the court for help..........

thanks!

Bear Chaser
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
If you haven't already you should add a few deer calls to your bag of tricks. One is a grunt tube; I wouldn't hunt whitetails (bucks) without one. The second is a fawn bleat. It could buy you just enough time to make a shot on a doe before she flees.
Whitetails like being close to coniferous cover so hunt the edges of those types of areas by setting up in a likely spot and keeping movement to a minimum.
The rut is coming up quickly and bucks will be travelling especially the young ones. A yearling whitetail buck will taste as good as a doe.
Good luck.

Bc Deer Hunter
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Take any back road off of dee lake FSR There is a whole wack of whities around those parts. Send me a pm if you would like for me to narrow it down for ya! Later..

ncurrie
10-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Or go to cherryville up Southfork or up heckmans

coach
10-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Take any back road off of dee lake FSR There is a whole wack of whities around those parts. Send me a pm if you would like for me to narrow it down for ya! Later..

Or go to cherryville up Southfork or up heckmans

Both excellent suggestions. IMO - the last hour of light is the best time to be out there. Your odds increase by getting back from the road a little ways. Find game trails and sit. Whitetails have different habits than mule deer.

BCKyle
10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Good luck soylent, hope you find one. I've gotta learn more about those guys too, and same area... I'll be tuning in and hope to hear your success story! When I was up there I saw a bunch of Mulie does but not a single whitetail... Except for running off the highway west of Lumby in the dark. D-oh!

s0ylentgreen
10-28-2012, 08:26 PM
thanks very much everyone
ill be hitting the road hard soon! (i hope)
and ill post my success! (i hope x2)

boxhitch
10-28-2012, 10:52 PM
You have been tramping in some good WT country, no need to change areas.
Trinity has lots, Sugar and Mabel they are in the bottoms but much higher and you hit MD turf.

if i do manage to see them where i can shoot them - they are elusive!
Any suggestions/ assistance?Slow down , watch the edges

The Dude
10-29-2012, 12:06 AM
If you're seeing lots on RURAL private land, I would be knocking on doors with my hat in my hand.
We did that in Grand Forks, and the farmer was so happy he brought out the front-end loader to take the deer away :D

beni
10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
If you're seeing lots on RURAL private land, I would be knocking on doors with my hat in my hand.
We did that in Grand Forks, and the farmer was so happy he brought out the front-end loader to take the deer away :D

That's awesome.

coach
10-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Last day tomorrow. Looking forward to your report. :-D

coach
11-04-2012, 11:28 PM
No report?

s0ylentgreen
06-25-2013, 09:01 PM
doh! sorry about that
i ended up focusing on a lower valley FSR spot

i managed to get a smaller whitie doe at about 30 yards - i was driving and snuck out of my jeep slowly, loaded and finally some success
thanks for the advice - this hunting thing sure is addicting, challenging and fullfilling when finally it works!

Bc Deer Hunter
06-25-2013, 09:46 PM
doh! sorry about that
i ended up focusing on a lower valley FSR spot

i managed to get a smaller whitie doe at about 30 yards - i was driving and snuck out of my jeep slowly, loaded and finally some success
thanks for the advice - this hunting thing sure is addicting, challenging and fullfilling when finally it works!
Do you have a 'special permit' because deer are not in season??

OutWest
06-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Do you have a 'special permit' because deer are not in season??

Sure they are. Check the Regs.

Bc Deer Hunter
06-25-2013, 09:59 PM
I apologise! Only saw the date of your last post! Congrats on your doe, they sure are tasty. :)

Sofa King
06-25-2013, 10:18 PM
nice to hear you succeeded.
congrats.

Sofa King
06-25-2013, 10:20 PM
I apologise! Only saw the date of your last post! Congrats on your doe, they sure are tasty. :)

he could have been indian.
every day's a hunting day.

s0ylentgreen
06-25-2013, 10:31 PM
the confusion is amusing

sure was tasty
ive been bbq-ing various game recipes over the winter

i like this recipe the best so far...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?92434-Blueberry-Bourbon-Venison

urbanhermit
06-25-2013, 10:49 PM
good work all the way around!