PDA

View Full Version : Hanwag leather boot repair?

ElectricDyck
10-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi, boots are hanwag alaska gtx, decent boots worthy of repair. This is my third year with them and I'd guess I have probably a little over 1000 km on them. Here's my issue, the oval of sewn in flexible leather in the back has worn and torn allowing water and grime to come in. Anybody know a place that might be able to repair them? If no repair is found I'll probably just use them with gaitors or retire them to a summer day hiking boot, but I'd rather fix them.

A http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0678.jpgpic:

Another http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0679-1.jpgpic:

Jagermeister
10-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Let me be the first to say, "Just replace them". The cost of repair would most likely equal the cost of a new pair of boots.

BiG Boar
10-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Man that first picture makes it look like your ankles must be real fat. Wierd.

Iltasyuko
10-28-2012, 06:45 PM
I wonder if the Trapper Top model which is apparently more stiff would wear a bit longer. Lathrop & Sons has them. I couldn't find the Trapper Top model in Canada and recently got the Trapper GTX through Track & Trail.

Tarp Man
10-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Based on the shape of the boot as seen in the first pic, replace them. They still have some life, but finding a good boot repair place may be harder than finding a virgin in Vegas. If you have near 1000kms in them, I can imagine you would be impressed at the extra support a new boot would give. The trouble with adding in a repair to boots that well broken in is that the new piece will be stiff, and the stitching may cause a hot spot and rub your foot the wrong way. IF you decide to repair them, wait until the season is done, so you can still use them for the next two months until blacktails close. I have used two shoe repair guys in the Fraser Valley. One is Arnold's Shoe Repair in Mission, right next to Tim Horton's on the main drag downtown. The other is Vic's Shoe Repair in old Abbotsford, near that wedding dress shop. Both guys are affordable, and they have been doing it forever. Vic's can sometimes be a bit of a rough fix, but they both are reasonable guys and you can describe what level of perfection you want.

However, new boot shopping is also fun!

Brambles
10-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Glue it back together with freesole shoe urethane, couple applications on the bad one to cover a good area after the stitched area has cured and should last you a while longer.

ElectricDyck
10-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Ok, thanks all for the comments, looks like I'm in for new boots for next season, maybe I'll experiment a bit with some cheap fixes but probably retire them to a truck camping boot. I expected a longer life span out of these but we did do some pretty long slogs in and out of creeks.....

brazen
10-31-2012, 08:07 PM
When my boots crap out i patch with Shoe Goo (Home Hardware). Was a scuba company first turned me on to it when nothing would stick to their drybags. Good stuff, tough, sticky, quick, keeps flex

RiverOtter
11-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Only product I've found that rivals good old Shoe Goo, is Seam Grip......

frenchbar
11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
i always keep a tube of the shoe goo handy ..its a must have like haywire and duct tape .

lorneparker1
11-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Ok, thanks all for the comments, looks like I'm in for new boots for next season, maybe I'll experiment a bit with some cheap fixes but probably retire them to a truck camping boot. I expected a longer life span out of these but we did do some pretty long slogs in and out of creeks.....

Those boots dont owe you a thing! Try lowa tibets next round. :) You wont be sorry.

Lorne

Monashee
11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
take them to a cobbler , at least he can give u an estimate or try your own hand with a curved needle and then shoe goo