PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with Guns

finaddict
10-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Well I have lurked here long enough. I guess I can consider myself a new hunter (again) as I have tried to resurrect this past time again. First and foremost I am an angler. Being a coastal boy, I have fished for salmon and steelhead all my life and tried my luck at hunting on only a few trips (all unsuccessful). But with the Thompson steelhead not showing any signs of recovering and my abhorrence to the idea of combat fishing the local rivers, I decided this year to try to take up hunting ......again. The difference is that my son has shown some interest in taking up the sport as well. So after the details of Firearms and Core courses he finally achieved the honour of a residence hunter number and we started making plans. The LEH draws did not go the way we planned as far as moose, but an LEH grizzly tag for the Terrace was awarded. It was lined up with the GOS for Moose in the same area for Oct 20-26 and off we went for the 16 hour drive. Since my 77 year old father still had his RH number we invited him along as well. He has always wanted to go hunting with his grandson and this would be his opportunity. Everyone here (who clearly know a helluva alot more than I do on hunting) get to post great trips, great successful hunts and great shots. I haven't seen too many trips where they don't end with the pics I am hoping for myself, but I guess I can start on this site with posting my ineptness and look forward to more successful hunts in the future. :icon_frow

We arrived in the Terrace area and set up camp about 20 miles outside of town. Naturally the first night needed a big campfire and a few drinks:-D; Now here in this thread is where I try to upload a few pics and then realize 64 kb allowed for attachments??? Hmmmm not really much I can add at that rate even with thumbnails. Ok well I'll just post a "report" We travelled many roads and scouted for a couple of days. Nice clearcuts (albeit a bit too old for fresh new growth) and not a lot of hunting pressure. We walked a few and drove a lot. I have to admit I am not too keen on road hunting, but when new to an area, it seems like the only alternative to discover what is available.

We did spend a lot of time hiking with guns :?. The weather was spectacular and the scenery was amazing. After 4 days of this and VERY little sign, new or old, my dad had had enough of the verticle and wanted to find somewhere with a little less steep walking. We decided to give up on the LEH Griz and start heading back to the Lower mainland and would stop perhaps in Houston or further East where it flattens out but is still in the GOS Moose season. A couple of roads around Houston looked promising and so hunting in the fresh snow would give us a chance to see fresh tracks if there were any to be found. After 2 days of driving and sitting at cutblocks, we saw no fresh tracks, no sign and it was time to head back to the reality of the day job for Monday.:cry:

What I did discover though is that I had a great time, I know I will get more serious about this hunting thing and that I really do like; "Hiking with Guns":mrgreen:

r106
10-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Sounds like it was fun and thats all that matters. But We need pics.

for my 90% of hunting is just getting out and enjoying the outdoors and exploring new areas. Getting meat on the table is just a bonus.

Gateholio
10-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Hiking is fun. Hiking with gun with guns is REALLY fun!

paulo
10-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Good on ya. My dad is 84 and still comes out so I know what he means about the flat. Keep at it, it'll come.

Jelvis
10-28-2012, 12:46 PM
finaddict, Hey, I relate to that saying," Hiking with a gun." I dig that. I always say, let's go hiking and I'll take my rifle.
If your hunting by foot, then your hiking, with a gun. lol
Jel (Hiking) while carrying, sounds real good to me.

finaddict
10-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks R106, Yeah the pics thing seems to be a challenge. I can probably post a couple but at 64 kb it's a challenge to put a real story together. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I'll figure this interweb thingy out sometime soon. Probably should get my kid to do it. I am sure he can do it with his eyes closed.

boxhitch
10-28-2012, 12:53 PM
On most days when I get home and am asked 'Where did you go?' my pat answer is "I took my gun for a walk, they need exercise too". Like today..............

finaddict
10-28-2012, 01:04 PM
OK I'll post a few pics one at a time

here's the first night

;-)

Geo.338
10-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Awesome photo ! Makes me think I can be doing this 40 years from now !